EA Proposes Take-Two Acquisition.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Zapmaster, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Publishing giant Electronic Arts last Tuesday proposed an acquisition of fellow publisher Take-Two at a price of $26 per share, or approximately $2 billion total. "There can be no certainty that in the future EA or any other buyer would pay the same high premium we are offering today," said EA CEO John Riccitiello.

The Take-Two umbrella includes the publishing labels 2K Sports, 2K Games, and Rockstar Games. Together the labels encompass such hit properties as Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto, BioShock 2K Boston's Bioshock, and Firaxis' Sid Meier's Civilization.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51476

If 2K accepts, EA will have most of popular gaming franchises under their wing. A huge deal for EA.

2. shades3k

shades3k Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4870 512MB
    In Europe there are laws and regulators to help prevent this kind of monopoly, I'm guessing it doesn't work the same way for an American company?

In most cases (think Westwood) EA acquisitions have had terrible effects on the industry, as one of their own employees stated himself the other day.

3. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    I agree, but look at the music and film industries, there will always be an alternative to the mainstream.

On the whole, EA Games generally suck. That is why my favourite game last year was Stalker, EA wouldn't have taken a risk on a game like that.

4. ViolentOpposition

ViolentOpposition Master Guru

GPU:
    PALIT GTX 570
    I really hate EA as a gamer, but from a business point of view, I have to admire them.

5. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock

I must agree with that point.

About the trade:

If EA "take two" we will see how liberty city from GTA become in a SIMS with posters advertising their games, with five missions and "buy a bosster pack or die".

:D

6. Tbone325

Tbone325 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570
    TakeTwo rejected the offer.

7. ViolentOpposition

ViolentOpposition Master Guru

GPU:
    PALIT GTX 570
    That just means that EA is now, most likely, moving on to the shareholders. So they're still screwed, unless their shareholders don't care much about money...

8. Armoured

Armoured Ancient Guru

edit

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  9. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    it still could become a hostile takeover

10. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    EA is destroying everything...damn...

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i hope 2k(my serius sam game)does not get bought out in hostile take over.
    but if it gets the cro team more moneys to play with than it would be ok?
    EDIT
    man that stock just hit the roof passed 26 bucks

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  12. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Well considering how little 2K did to promote Serious Sam 2, it might not be such a bad thing for Croteam.

Anyway, yes 2K rejected but they've also stated this: "The board of directors at Take-Two confirms that it has rejected the acquisition offer calling it "inadequate" and "opportunistic", hoping to take advantage of the forthcoming release of Grand Theft Auto IV. However, the company says it is willing to discuss this further with Electronic Arts, immediately following the release of GTA IV at the end of April."

And this analyst: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33487 seems to think that EA will indeed succed.