1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EA Origin scans your hard drive/OS/Applications

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Stukov, Aug 25, 2011.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Um yes and no, no because as far as I or anyone else is aware Steam does not currently scan or farm my computer for info where as EA has said or maybe not said (I dunno their EULA is moronic to say the least) that they may or may not do it for sure.

Well that's the world we live in ain't it. I am willing to put up with more sh*t from the likes of Steam because I have 30 odd games installed through it, for the most part it works and works well, they have at least some degree of reputation when it comes to how their service works and I use it beyond the simple features of it being an indexing system for quick access to my games.

Right here right now Origin will be nothing more than another program that I have to run to play just one game. So I am not gonna put up with any where near as much crap from it.

Well there you go in my case I have 0 games with Origin (actually don't even have an Origin account) and 30 with Steam.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  2. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    I can keep my real name on the net, the problem isn't there. But none of my computers are pure gaming stations. I keep documents, including ones written for others, on them at all times. I keep other things there as well.

And given EAs track record, I have exactly ZERO reason to trust them with anything. So if EA wants to play the slurp game, my options are simple: Do not touch EA, warn people to stay away from EA, check with local authorities if EAs setup is in violation of applicable laws (the moment they accept payment from Norwegian cards, they can kiss the "we're us-based so only us laws apply!" argument byebye when it comes to laws protecting flesh-and-blood persons).

But if other people want to think EA _ISN'T_ the software equivalent of Ted Bundy, and want to trust them, go right ahead. I won't try to stop you.

//Svein

3. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    I actually recieved a 2 point infraction for calling someone a drama-queen? LOL too much...

Are we allowed to post our opnions on other peoples opnions or not? Because frankly it looks to me that getting infractions for such minor things is basically telling us we can't post our opinions. I did not insult anyone in this thread. I called a spade a spade. a drama-queen is a drama-queen and several people in this thread are acting like drama-queens. If I am going to get infractions everytime I call people drama-queens then you might as well ban me now Hilbert...

I created a thread trying to help people on keeping there computers working trouble free. You let me get flamed for several pages before you finally closed the thread. Did you hand out infractions to the several people that not only insulted me personally, but flamed me?

This is getting lame with the heavy handed stance on what I post while most other regulars get simply ignored. If you want me to leave I will. I have zero problems with that!

4. raif

raif Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    ok, may i ask as to why you have zero reason to trust EA?

5. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Their history over the past 20 or so years.

//Svein

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Your thread being closed had nothing whatsoever to do with Hilbert, I doubt he even saw it so don't go blaming him for anything that happened there. One person in that thread did receive an infraction and a temp ban. If you wanted the thread closed sooner you could have PM'd a mod, but instead you decided to have a slagging match with other members, then whined about mods not doing their jobs. Maybe you should stop being such a drama queen.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

I managed not to use that word ^^

All hail me for being self control guru :hatty:

8. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    I usually never personally insult anyone on this forum until I get insulted which usually doesn’t take long. Then it is open table as far as I am concerned. People get offended on how I say things? Too bad, if they can't handle the truth on subjects then they should not be posting in the first place. This thread is a perfect example. This thread is more or less a carbon copy of a gossip magazine like you would find at the local checkout line in the grocery store. This thread is all about causing people to panic about things. Other words, this thread is to cause drama. no other way to say it. You give me an infraction for calling another member a drama-queen when they were doing exactly that! Common now, let us be reasonable here can't we?

Don't allow drama threads to be created if it is going to be an issue then. I was told by a mod that my thread about helping people keep there PC's trouble-free was my own fault because by default creating a thread about no over-volting and extreme stress-testing is not smart in a enthusiast hard ware forum. So basically you guys blamed me for creating a thread that causes drama. But it is perfectly ok to create a thread about the software program Origin and then have all the drama-queens post in it?

I put alot of time and effort into this hardware forum by trying to help people with problems concering hardware/software. Some of the things I post are not popular but that dosen't mean I do not speak the truth! I spend almost as much time trying to kill off all the online FUD that gets spread across hardware forums. No one should get infractions for doing that in my opinion!!

Rant over....

9. raif

raif Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    care to specify? giving me a time frame over which a company existed tells me nothing. i'm not asking to be a jerk, i'm genuinely interested in knowing why and what caused it.

10. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Nothing they did personally. The online FUD has caused it!!

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    The meaning of the internet slang word "FUD" means:

The definition of FUD is "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt"

12. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    JetStream 980Ti
    I would like a new road rash game using frostbite 2.0

13. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    I notice, with interest, that the people defending EA here, are the same ones who have no problems whatsoever with their DRM-fetish. Given this fact, trying to explain why I have no reason to trust EA (which, btw, has been around far longer than 20 years, but the last 20 years is when they've become an atrocity), is a futile attempt.

I'm leaving this thread, before the DRM-excusers make even MORE attempts at explaining why this move from EA is a good thing, etc.

//Svein

14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Your attempt to kill off online FUD in this topic started by quoting a select section of the Origin EULA. You essentially used FUD to combat FUD. Not a very effective strategy given just how vague and contradictory the EULA is.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't think anyone excuses DRM, but many of us realise there is nothing we can do about it if we still want to play games without stealing them, and when its making it's way onto console games and even companies like ID are wanting to implement always on DRM, then you know its not going away anytime soon, if ever.

Not sure what this has to do with EA's DRM though lol, in my opinion its one of the "best"s DRM solution around at the moment, 5 activation limit is by far the easiest to exploit, something i found out recently when bulding someone a PC.
    Sure, its still has its crap moments but it's far less restrictive than Ubisofts, Steam or GFWL.

Can't take the expression FUD seriously tbh.
    One, because people just pick and choose what it applies to, and two because its a slang for vagina here in Glasgow, "shut it or i will kick you in the fud" was used alot when i was in school lol.

16. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    I too had to back track to see wtf folk were talking about FUD's for......

"Shut it, ya Fud!" still gets used during pub banter! :)

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    HaHa, so it does, cracking word in my opinion but not when used in the online sense :p

18. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    How did I spread fear, uncertainty and doubt by quoting exactly what EA wrote in there EULA? If anything I took away the fear, uncertainty and doubt. Are we reading the same post here or what?

19. raif

raif Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    honestly, i DO have an issue with DRM. Utterly and completely. I was actually honest in trying to find out what made this company so untrustworthy. not defending EA. i currently have no stance in this matter because i dont have enough information. that and i dont use steam or anything like it for that matter due to me trying to find out all this info BEFORE i install what seems to me to be spyware crap.

20. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Here is the truth:

EA hasn’t done anything "wrong". EA has never done anything to any gamer other then release games for us to buy and play. The issue is EA had to come up with a way to protect there software investments much the same way as Valve did with the releasing of the game program Steam. By forcing gamers to use Origin EA has protected there software from online piracy. Now of course the natural reaction is negative because one of the main selling points for gaming on the PC is the freedom of choice be that hardware or software. But the reality of it is there can no longer be 100% freedom with PC gaming. When there is 100% freedom software developers like EA do not get paid for there work. Would anyone in there right mind not want to get paid for a hard days work?

Having said that, the issue now is "FUD". The spreading of fear, uncertainty and doubt towards EA and Origin. Every single hardware review site has put a spot light on EA and Origin. All this is doing is spreading the fear towards Origin. The result from that is people are actually thinking about not playing BF3 because they fear EA is going to be stealing there personal information through the application Origin. This is FUD at its best! Instead of hardware review sites making an article telling everyone not to worry there is no big deal which will stop FUD; they are essentially causing FUD ( fear, uncertainty and doubt).

Now another issue is company bias. Some gamers no matter what the game will hate a certain company for years and years. Even the best titles will still get hated because it came from EA. This is just silly and I always just ignore it.

This brings us to my final point: DRM is here to stay. It is part of PC gaming now. It is never going to just go away because a few thousand gamers boycotted Origin and BF3. Accept this fact and try to enjoy the PC gaming that we have today. If not switch to console gaming and deal with Sony and Microsoft telling you what, when and how to play.