1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EA Origin scans your hard drive/OS/Applications

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Stukov, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Obviously you dont care about violation of privacy or w/e. anyways i have all that crap data sent to microsoft disabled.

2. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Edited

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  3. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Edited

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  4. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    So, did anyone actually looked into how much intrusive local storage scans EA does?

Hey maleficarus, if you don't care about online privacy. Why not use your real name on the internet?

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
  6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  7. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
  8. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Simple EA's EULA states:
    So. Simple. If you do not want EA to have this access: DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM EA. They state it themselves: They do not want your money, if you don't agree to them scanning your system. They even use the magic word, "please".

//Svein

9. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Oh snap!

So the EULA contradicts itself

Spyware you mean, it scans your system and sends them back information without your direct permission (beyond the hidden in the EULA you agreed to non sense.)

Oh so not Spyware?

See this is the bull that caused me to cancel my BF3 pre order even EA don't know what the hell they are doing.

Not saying I won't buy BF3, I am just gonna wait until we know for sure what is going on with this Origin non sense.

10. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    yes origin is collecting ur ever so valuable personal information and is going to use it to take over the world.

z_z

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    LOL! I know eh? EA will then take this information and destroy all the humans on our planet because EA really is Aliens trying to take us over through video games...

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Idiocy knows no bounds.
    The saddest thing is you put it on an internet forum and its now been quoted so you cant take it back
    lol.

13. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Idiocy? How about Drama knows no bounds? Do you honestly think for one single second EA is going to take your web surfing information and tell the world? Do you think they have nothing better to do then sit in therte office and scroll through billions of internet logs? Like honestly...The only thing stupid about this is being upset and freaking out over nothing!

14. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Given that EA can't even come up with a EULA that doesn't contradict itself I doubt they could take the underpants off my unguarded washing line let alone the world.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    lol, no, try reading the thread.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

:heh:

How narrow minded you have to be to think this was ever a case of EA won't tell anyone, or some variation of I've got nothing to hide

We are profiled enough as it is, with 2 types of FPS, and a streamlined RPG.
    I refuse to participate in further profiling, and have no desire to help market strategists, or whoever may be concerned by providing them my PC habits.

And if I am just being paranoid and no one is really interested in our PC habits, I still choose not to submit them. Simple as that.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  17. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Just my thoughts on this,

A lot of folk are saying that Origin is not the only system that will or will not do the stuff as stated in the EULA and a lot of folk are rolling out examples such as Steam to show that Valve are just as guilty of these kind of user info farming tactics.

Now here's my thoughts on this, the amount of rubbish the average user will put up with is directly proportional to the usefulness of the service they are getting in return. So take Steam for example, I have many friends on there, I am a member of a few groups, I have bought a good few games many of them at great prices through the often Steam sales and I would say that Steam gets used for one thing or another almost every day.

Now Origin clearly wants to be another Steam, EA are using a big name title to ensure that ppl are forced to install the service on their systems, anyone remember HL2 needed Steam to work? The difference here though is just how useful is Origin? I own two EA PC games, BF2 and BFBC2, I only have one of them installed and chances are when BF3 came along I would have only had that installed. So buying games through Origin, well it ain't gonna happen. I am unlikely to buy many new PC games from EA based on my current library and anything else I wanted I would either use Steam or buy it retail.

BFBC2, played it for a year now and have zero ppl on my friends list, too be brutal honest the majority of BFBC2 players have been massive douche bags that I would never really want to get to know and the few folk I have met I know what servers they play and when they play so have never felt the need to add them, on a side note over the same period of time on L4D2 I gained 23 new friends just by playing the same 10 vs 10 server. great folk from all over the planet.

So if Origin is EAs version of Steam then for me it is a version of Steam that I have no use for friends or group tracking, has no need for the D2D services and will only ever be used to keep track of my massive gaming library of one game.

So whilst Steam ain't perfect. and it does a hell of a lot of stuff that annoys the hell out of me, the fact is it's annoyance vs usefulness levels justifies it's existence on my hard drive. Where as Origin on the other hand has no use for me so to put up with the bull mentioned in it's EULA just for the pleasure of playing one game.... um no thanks.

18. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    I have 5 games with Origin and 10 with Steam. I play more EA based games then Steam based games.

19. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    So your basically saying both Steam and EA can do the same thing (scan and use your info) but you'll put up with it on Steam due to it having more features.

Me i look at it like this, they all do it and as such it's not really fair to bad mouth one (EA) while putting up with the other (Steam) just because it does more. If your willing to bad mouth one you should be bad mouthing all in equal measure, this is why i am defending EA, not because i agree with what they are doing BUT because they are being singled out when others are doing the same and being given a pass.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Svein_Skogen said it best, if you don't wan't to take the chance, then don't install it or play any games that need it.

If playing a game is more important than your privacy, then its clear your privacy isn't important to you, so you shouldn't have an issue with this.

Googling my nick clearly shows i have no fears about my privacy, and tbh i don't wan't Dice to suffer just because EA wan't extra revenue, so its a non event to me.