1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EA Origin scans your hard drive/OS/Applications

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Stukov, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Jumping the gun a bit there, its not over yet!

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Possibly, i will wait and see.

Funny thing is that my GF looked more annoyed about this that me, but all she plays us EA games lol.

On a privacy note, this would be the least of my worries, typing Redemption80 into Google brings up far too much stuff about me:3eyes:

3. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    That's Steams HW survey, this is Steams non opt in Privacy policy (just like EAs).

Notice how they to collect info about you and may share it, they don't state about scanning your HDD BUT they leave room to cover it.

Another little bit.
    So i ask, if people are willing to rip EA a new one about their EULA then why not rip Valve a new one about theirs aswell?.-
    ---
    I think of it like this, if tomorrow Valve changed their EULA to state "we can disable your entire account if there is an issue with a single game" no one would really state anything BUT, if EA added the same there would be stories/threads saying "OMG EA will disable your entire account if there is an issue with 1 game!!!".

Just so you know, Valve already actully do that and yet i've not seen a single story or mass hate about it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    You pointed out the main differences and chose to ignore them :confused:

EA are saying they "will" scan your hard drive and will share the data without you even knowing what that data actually is.

With valve you are automatically opted out so you need to opt in before your drive is scanned.
    They let you see the data before going ahead so you can cancel.
    So you can play the games without being held to ransom.

5. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    ^^^Thank you(Stoner-Pimp)..... its just EA bashing, its the same that happened with the whole account closing(or not closing) after 2 years blah blah blah....

EA seem to be on the wrong end of a stick, and every other company that does it seems to have golden balls....

I don't get it, companies do it, we know they do it, they've been doing it for years!!!

Nvida, Ati, Valve, Microsoft, EA, Blizzard, Gamespy, Google and so many more at some point will probably peek/collect some form of data from you/your system

Edit: And the data they collect will not be able to identify you the user

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Because it's an invasion of privacy. What more of a reason do you really need? It's none of EA's business what apps are installed on MY computer, or what MY usage habits are.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    The point of the thread isnt about EA its about the policies they are implementing.

8. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    Why can't I keep myself from thinking that this is just an "innocent survey" by EA, and not some other underhanded spying...

9. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Because it IS an innocent survey by EA, thats why you think it is....

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    The motivation is to make more money using more and more brazen methods.
    They (all) are slowly pushing the boundaries to see how far they can go, some companies are more aggressive though and have little respect.
    They only know that they cant pursue a particular method when there is an outcry against it and/or they fall foul of the law.

Heres our outcry :)

11. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    As a DRM solution Steam is far more annoying and intrusive than Origin, it's especially noticeable on games that i have on both platforms.

When it comes to privacy though, while Origin isn't doing this scanning at the moment as far as i know, Steam certainly isn't either.

I ran the sysinfo thing earlier on Steam, the fact i had to do it manually and then wait several minutes for it to update suggests that there is nothing automated about it in the slightest, even if it was the same case with Steam, two wrongs don't make a right.

Personally i miss EADM, i thought it was far better, was a simple download store, didn't need to be running, and most of the games used the 5 activation DRM which is my personal favourite of all the DRM implementation out now.

Now its trying to copy Steam with making it mandatory even for retail games, and system scanning, a shame but still won't put me off using it, as adding retail games and cd keys is just too much of a nice feature to ignore.

12. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    i honestly have stopped supporting EA years ago, starting with the NBA Live (Live '08 was the last that I played iirc) series. EA have been failing over and over again since then, produce crappy games (bunch of NFS games, NBA Live Series, etc), not to mention remake a classic into a trash (simcity??). They make me feel like their top philosophy in making games is just to make money.

i understand companies have to make money. but for people to buy your products, it has to have value. and that is what EA is losing nowadays, VALUE.

13. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    JetStream 980Ti
    funny how that sounds worse than Origins anonymous stat collection.

14. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    EA didn'tt say they will, they said they may, this is the 1st line of what people were moaning about.
    Also you aren't automatically opted out of the Valve EULA/PP, it doesn't state that at all. What your thinking about is the hardware/software survey BUT the Steam privacy policy doesn't apply to that, it relates to Steam itself and the only way to opt out is to not install it or uninstall it.

This is the problem, people are thinking they are opting out of the Steams sharing of data because of the hardware/software survery opting in/out when it's got nothing to do with the Steam privacy policy at all.

This is the Steam PP in full.
    http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html
    It doesn't state anything about opting in/out and has been like this since Revision Date: September 3, 2009. It's kinda funny seeing that this EA thing kicked off this week and yet this has been in Valves PP for at least 2 years (most likely more) and there has been no stories or hate threads at all.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    How else do you think they will word it.
    Are you supposing they wont collect the data?

Valve dont scan your hard drive unless you opt in.
    That is how it is presented, you must have seen it?

16. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    You said "EA are saying they "will"", they aren't.

Again, the hardware/software survey has nothing to do with the Steam privacy policy, the Steam PP covers everything and it's presented in a way that covers it all (they aren't stupid, if there is one thing Valve is good at it's making the bad things look nice).

People really need to face it, Valve (infact every company like this) is just as bad as EA, so if your going to hate on EA then be sure to hate on all. To hate on EA for doing the same thing as Valve and then to defend Valve is just silly.

If there is one thing i've learned over the years is that people will defend Valve no matter what they do and will hate on EA for doing the exact same thing.

Anyways, bedtime, i need sleep.

17. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nope, from what i tested tonight Valve certainly don't scan your HDD unless you ask them too, but their terms certainly make it look that they could if they wanted to, so make of that what you will.

On the other hand, at the moment Origin doesn't scan your HDD either, asked some people and they can't find nothing dodgy going on with the Origin software.

Anyone else find anything, as while i trust my friend's opinion, mistakes can happen.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    My error, but you know they will, so do I ;)

Valve dont scan your hard drive.
    Its nothing to do with hating on EA (which I havent btw), its about what EA have added to their EULA.
    I'm not pro Valve or Steam either.

19. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    WHOA, that is WAY worse than Origins. It clearly states in Origins EULA that they will never share your personal information with third parties, but the way the Valve one read was that they may share your personal info with anybody. WTF is that crap, and why aren't people up in arms over it?!?!?!?!

20. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Oh dear, can see this getting out of hand.

Hoping this thread is in a returbable state when i wake up.