EA is working on the remaster of Command & Conquer

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    I've already played C&C Gen/Zhour about 10,000 times, with the remastering I guess I'll play it another 10,000 times.

2. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    I don't disagree with a good EA bashing, but a faithful remaster/remake would not go amiss. Huge C&C fan with the exception of that weird FPS game they did, but had to love the cheesy FMV's too. Also Generals special shoutout, original and red alert were fun, but Generals was hilarious and great multiplayer fun.If they could do one with the original + face lift/hi res textures and then remake too which has some reworked mechanics, that would be swell. Also Generals with multi-threaded cpu support because there was some mega slowdown hosting lots of players in big matches.

3. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Who ever wrote this, forgot Westwood made 44 games, not just 2.
    Lands of Lore series, Eye Of the Beholder series, Legend of Kyrandia series to name a few.

0blivious and 386SX like this.
  4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You lost me at "EA".

RzrTrek likes this.

5. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    I'm a Mechanical Man!

I am pretty sure that game got me into Techno music! Can not wait to play it, just hope EA does not ruin it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    386SX likes this.
  6. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    +1 ;-)

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I played and liked all C&C games in 1st decade. Afterwards, it became worse and worse...

My favorites were Red Alert and Generals series. Red Alert was like playing Dune 2 with much better controls. And Generals was like playing StarCraft... Many strategies, high replay-ability a lot of fun.

If anything, I would like just updated engine for C&C Generals + ZH with same modability as mods made that game so much more fun and gave it new life. Shockwave was likely my favorite mod. Maybe just paying author of the mod some money and use all those ideas/assets as base for 3rd "datadisc".
    If they released C&C Generals + ZH + Shockwave in DX12 with all adequate IQ improvements without breaking any game mechanics, I'd pay $30 even while I have them all.
    Except most of C&C games will not run on W10. Blizzard took care of SC+BW and they run well. So remastered SC is kind of bonus above what one really needs.
    Thanks for reminder, I should install SC2 as I did not play it for very long time.
    I loved Renegade :D But I played it much less than others.

moo100times and yasamoka like this.
  8. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    I knew there had to be someone!

9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    All cnc games runs on 10, i use the CNCNET launcher to play RA2, skips origin and you can play it on high resolution and 60 fps, without the engine slowdown.

Generals ZH is the best cnc in my opinion, it must be remastered.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What I meant is native support => click and play w/o user hacks.
    C&C 3 (TW + Kane's Wrath) have built in 30fps limit. That's main reason why I do not play this otherwise awesome game. I can't stand 30fps on 24'' screen. But I can say that people found new ways to play this game even after so many years. I have friends who still actively play it.

11. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I have played RA1, RA2, CNC3 and RA3. My favourites are CNC3 and RA3, slightly favouring the latter and I cannot understand why some people hated them so much. They were awesome, tuning up the gameplay more tight, graphics were pleasant, voice acting superb, in RA3 there was a coop campaign and the music was a blast, probably the best in the whole C&C series.

All that said, I'm not too eagerly waiting for a remaster and have been wishing for a completely new C&C game with some new elements, whatever they might be, but beating the old game just once more is not sounding anything too thrilling. We don't even know if this would be a remaster just to make it run on modern machines or using modern engine like Frostbite 3. Neither sounds good to me.

EA should bring a new Generals entry or something based on the core gameplay of C&C, a completely new C&C series with a new subtitle and theme.

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I was kinda of surprised the original games weren't available on gog yet.... I went looking for them last night and was like... what... where are they..

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    You right, the 30 fps kills it for me, that's why i don't touch RA3 no more, even though i played and won some tournament in the past...

Tiberian Sun FS and generals would be very nice to get remastered, TS is underrated.

14. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Got to add for EA haters that EA has given many possibilities for different game studios and for some reason these developers have took the financial risk and gone over ambitious. EA is not the fault of everything, they are just the company that gets the flame whatever happens. You should know better the gaming history before stating your nasty accusations and excuses.

If EA makes a good C&C game, remaster or new, I will definetly buy it, no grudge against EA here, but I will definetly not buy any bad games from them and those you can sense from far away.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Maybe I'm getting old, but I only expect it to get worse than the C&C collection I already have... sad times to see how they're trying to cater to the cherrished memories people like (many) of us have, to exploit them and break them forever.

16. I've been revisiting Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour since reading this and man it is addictive ... especially with a trainer to boot! There are some mods that are out for it... some overhauls etc that aren't so bad... I'd forgotten how fun this game is. Can't believe it's from 2003 it still looks great...

EDIT: you can totally mod this thing to run @ 1080p heck up to 2K even (maybe higher?) with some hud / camera widescreen tweaks...looks awesome

17. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    I've already played C&C Generals/Zero hour about 20,000 times, but I guess a new remastered version would keep me playing the game.
    I currently use C&C On-line, to play Gen/ZeroH, on my Windows 10 64-bit PC.