EA Infects Battlefield Hardline with new ghastly DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 25, 2015.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I think it's to do with EA trying to get tougher on Hackers.

The hackers are changing their Hardware ID'S.. so.. yeah..

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    More like it's EA's pathetic attempt to stop people from sharing games.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    It may be true but you cannot deny the fact hacking is a very serious problem for multiplayer games like Battlefield 3/4.. and Hardline.

This new hardware check "I'm guessing" is one new thing put in place to combat that.

With the new Bans being GUID bans, you understand what I'm saying right?

Although with that said, hackers will be hackers, pirates will pirate, and legitimate customers will always bear the brunt of the large corporate companies.

For singleplayer games, if someone is wanting to share a game they already purchased.. there are always cracks.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Understood what you are getting at. But using hardware ID tags as the defining basis is absolutely absurd. Who cares what hardware is being used. The game still needs to be accessed through an account. Who cares how many different hardware IDs access the account. It is still an online connection being made. If there is to be a limitation, the limitation should be based on how many different ip addresses have accessed the account in a 24 hour period, not hardware ID tags.

That is why this hardware limitation is not what they are saying it is.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Would it not be easier for cheaters to change their ip than their hardware id?

I'm still none the wiser if this is a Origin wide thing or just this game, and i would rather not give out my account details to find out.

The more i think about it though, the less i have an issue with it, as it essentially means i can share my account with 5 people a day, meaning EA have allowed 5 people to share the price of this game.
    80% off is still more than I would pay for this game though.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Shame noone boycots EA and keeps buying their garbage.

The last Game i bought was Bad Company 2 which is also the only Game on my Origin Account. They can choke on it for all i care.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well I've had to deal with EA customer support on BF4 once, and trust me, I got the same feeling. That guy did not get what I wanted, and in the end, I wasn't better informed than before. The problem got sorted though, but it did not give me the feeling that it was the support's or that single dude's work.

A friend of mine bought Alice Madness Returns on sale, and suddenly it stopped working on his account, which he did not share. He went through the same support process, didn't get his game for about 10 days (locked in origin, was not launchable although he had it in his library), and then suddenly it worked, after he had to contact the support techs three times and wrote about half a dozen of emails back and forth with somebody else. Not the greatest record, if you ask me.

The support team of Steam, on the other hand, I don't even know. Never had too, anyway ;)

So true.

So true. Too.

8. 3Dghost

3Dghost Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Ed
    Things like this are more likely cause more damage than good.

9. pbvider

pbvider Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Check this out Hilbert,it`s about you:

10. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    So why not use that system to ban cheaters and not the people who did not cheat ?

Some people do also have multiple computers, say you happen to visit your parents and at some point want to use that computer to play some game. 24h wait for that and then when you get back to your main pc, hardware has changed again and thats another 24h wait.

With Steam you can download games to computer you are using and play those with your account.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    "The Know" is just trying to calm people down. That is it. They even stated so. So what proceeded from their mouths was just whatever it would take to create a sense of tranquility. Retarded move.

IP address may be easier to change but by the same token how many mainstream individuals are going to be changing IP addresses? Microsoft ties it to motherboard. So if hardware tags are going to be used, tie it the same way Microsoft does and just single out the motherboard. Only the cheaters and hackers are going to be changing IPs often to trigger the ban.

Lifestyles are changing, yes? So cross platforms are a change in hardware. It is going to be far more likely to hit the hardware limitation than IP. So hardware tags are a failure right out of the gate.

The current method is more of a round about way to start tightening down the whole cross platform issue in a more subtle way. The goal is the need to buy a full priced version for each platform it is installed on or accessed by. Cloud usage is currently just an option. They are trying to put into place a cloud based pricing model before the cloud actually becomes the norm.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  12. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Hilbert your review and issues were mentioned in a Gamespot article lol along with your name... EA responded saying this is for all Origin games and reviewers/Benchers should contact customer support.

13. Fire488

Fire488 Member

GPU:
    PNY nVidia GTX 260
    Not sure if what you said here is tongue in cheek, but I was thinking you work for EA/DICE and may be the only person to say this game is any good.

14. hoover1979

hoover1979 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Xtreme 1080
    After reading this I have now decided not to purchase BFH. I will also be doing research before even comptemplating any future EA titles.

This DRM does NOT stop piracy. Crackers always beat DRM, what it IS doing is causing havok for those honest gamers that wanted to support the devs and pay for a title. If EA fails to heed this and ditch this ridiculous DRM on their games they will lose customers FAST and the piracy the are trying to stop so much is bound to flourish in the wake.

Wake up and smell the BS EA, you are killing off all your customers with this BS!!!!

15. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Odd that you write this now cuz CPY cr@cked it 2 days ago :D.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nearly 5 months though.

17. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    they emulated it, not Cracked it..
    a fine but big difference....

but yeah, in the end they did it. kinda.

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    You should not buy this 'game' because it's a BF4 mod sold to everybody as a standalone. Whatever DRM it has got or not ;)

19. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Except Denuvo isn't DRM though! It's an anti-debug/tamper wrapper that protects the executable that does have DRM.

20. hoover1979

hoover1979 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Xtreme 1080

Sorry for the necro

I just saw this reply. Yes I am Australian, and no I don't work for CPY :giggle2:

Australia does has a bad rep atm, but we aren't all pirates.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Hoover1979/ 628 legit games and counting

It's O.K. though, I am not offended or angry so please don't think I am. :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017