EA explains Steam store absences

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

GameSpot has published a news article with a few choice quotes from a statement made by EA's head of global e-commerce David DeMartini on why some of their titles are not available on Steam anymore:...

More...

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Oh please, what a stupid reason. How does Steam not inform you of new patches? There's a news tab for a reason. Not to mention the patches are automatic anyway....

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    exactly. that is just plain retarded.

4. Zebatshu

Zebatshu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    Yeah the news tab in steam keeps you well informed. What I like about steam is that it keeps my games up to date, so when I want to play a game I don't have to "check for updates" and wait half a year for my 4 Mbps line to download it. EA better be damn sure their client is in n good state before they release their games exclusively to Origin, or else they will only fuel piracy even more.

5. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    EA want to EA their EA games into your partially EA Steam account.

6. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I never had problems with steam updates. If EA releases updates and ask Valve to put update the day before, it of course it will fail.

If EA would say "We really failing with management and we have no idea when patch gonna get done, so when in done we want to send it to user asap..."

I could understand that they just fail with their deadlines and planning patches.

7. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    The less of a "relationship" EA has with me the better off I am IMO.

8. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No kidding, is anyone else here wanting the REAL reason? If you ask me this is total BS.

9. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    i think EA have a fair point........ if they are distributing a product, they have the right to be in 100% control over it with regards to patches and updates.

I

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

Well they do. They distribute the patches, Steam just automatically updates the games. It's not like Valve is developing their own patches for EA games.

This is just a poor attempt at increasing the Origin users. If the only place to get EA games will be Origin, they better have a damn good system to compete with Steam.

11. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    well by the looks of it, they're saying the only place you can't get EA games is steam.

On the other side of the coin, why don't valve just say, "Ok put your games here and we'll let you take full charge of the installation of upgrades etc and we will stop doing it for you"

Steam is not god, EA have the right to distribute their products by any means that they want....

I don't see the issue, fair enough they may be cutting their nose off to spite their faces, but its their prerogative surely?

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    +1 im with you 100%

13. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    I seems if EA wanted it's relationship with steam to work they could find a way. Just the other night I started up my steam verison Splinter Cell Conviction after not playing it for a month or two and it updated automatically through the ubisoft launch page which, by the way, displays news and account info independently of the steam news feeds. Also, DLC for dirt 3 is only available for purchase and download through GFWL.

It looks to me that EA is trying to demonize steam so origin looks more appealing even if in the end we are forced to by games them.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You're not forced to buy games through Steam or Origin..... EA also has the right to distribute and manage their games however they choose. Honestly, most dev studios would cease to exist if Steam were the only way to buy games...

15. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    I still prefer discs. Good, solid, non-connection dependant discs. I archive my patches, so I'm usually good to go.

16. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    bullsh!t, I ain't buying that bs.

deltatux

17. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    Lemme translate this for everyone what EA is saying.

Money money money money money money
    [​IMG]

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    lol true i guess.

19. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Am I the only one who likes origin?

Iv moved all my ea games from steam to it.

its small and light no extra crap I don't care about, its fast to download games and updates and the best thing of all It install the games just like off a disc so normal manual patches work and I don't need it running to start a game up.

20. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    A 100% income AND all the user information? W00t...EA.com used to be a pathetic site and the last to get any update from. And the Crysis 2 DX11 patch with packs? First available at GEFORCE.COM...what a crock...and probably also the single most pathetic thing to happen to PC gaming since the HL2 leak/delay.