EA cancels Command and Conquer

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by dsbig, Oct 30, 2013.

1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    didnt see it posted anywhere on here.

And another Command & Conquer game bites the dust: EA has just axed the latest in the longrunning strategy series, the company announced today.P

"Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play," a rep for developer Victory Games wrote in a blog post published this afternoon. "That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game." P

Originally announced as Command & Conquer: Generals 2 at the 2011 Spike VGAs, this incarnation of Command & Conquer was to be a free-to-play game for PC. It entered alpha during the summer.P

On top of the cancellation, as spotted by Polygon, employees of Victory Games are tweeting that EA has shut the studio down. Victory Games, an LA-based studio that has been working on this new Command & Conquer game for three years now, has not released any other games.

dev blog

"Generals,

Thank you for your participation over the last few months in the Command & Conquer closed alpha test. It’s been much appreciated, and you’ve been instrumental in helping define what a new Command & Conquer experience should and shouldn’t be.

Part of being in a creative team is the understanding that not all of your choices are going to work out. In this case, we shifted the game away from campaign mode and built an economy-based, multiplayer experience. Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play. That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately it’s about getting you the game you expect and deserve.

Over the next 10 days we will be refunding any and all money spent in the alpha. If you have a question about your refund, please contact help.ea.com.

We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track. We look forward to sharing more news about the franchise as it develops. Thank you again for your participation and support.

- Victory StudiosP"

source Kotaku

http://kotaku.com/ea-cancels-command-conquer-1454179860

2. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Titan
    Better than releasing something no one wants I guess.

I thought it looked and sounded good but never played the alpha so no idea.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Good riddance. C&C 4 was bad enough as it is.

4. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    They had a chance to fix things with Generals 2, and they tried to turn it into a F2P game. That never should have happened, and whomever was behind that decision was out of their mind. I'd rather see the franchise die out rather than see more butchered releases.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I wont loose any sleep over this decision.

6. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    Im guttted to be honest. ive still got an alpha account but ive not been on in a while, its a shame really as the game and the graphics were awesome.

7. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    Im playing this game right now, and see no news in the game itself. shrug?

8. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980Ti SLI
    I was in the Alpha, apart from it looking good, it felt nothing like a C&C game.
    As bad as it sounds EA were right in pulling the plug on this one.

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    EA listening to their customers? Did hell finally freeze over?

10. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    EA does this from time to time. They have a several year cycle where they actually make leaps and bounds in regard to improving their products and working with the community, then they turn back into the monstrosity we're all used too today.

11. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    How many of you guys play this game? Its actually quote good. This news makes no sense, its the best CNC game to come out since.... red alert 2, or generals 1. This news doesn't make sense. Theres no way they would abort this game but let cnc4 go on through, when this is actually a great game and a great RTS.

EDIT, ok it is on the game site. That's depressing but It looks like they will just turn the game into a true generals title. So its not really being cancelled, especially when the entire game and all the assets were already done and working nicely. All they need to do is make a proper campaign and its done.

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    It's being "put on hold", so to speak. It's not totally discarded.

13. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    That is what I've heard about it as well. I think it was TB who said that it currently played like Generals: Zero Hour beta with completely whacked out balance but ton of fun.

That sounded like a great RTS in the making to me.

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I was in the closed alpha. That game sucked balls big time. Not surprised at all.

15. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Could you elaborate on it, like what game(s) did it play similar as and what went wrong in it?

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It just felt weird and didn't even look good. It lacked all kinds of stuff that you'd expect from C&C game and obviously the free to play model ruined it even more. All older C&C games were superior to it, zero reasons to play it. It wasn't even fun. They did not kill a great game... Nor was it promising. How they managed to waste three years in it is beyond me.

17. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Command and Cancel.

18. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Hmm that sucks. That "felt weird" sounds like inexperienced dev messing up very basic things like UI which piles up to this annoyance that bothers users without being clear why they are being bothered...

I was hoping C&C3-Generals hybrid (C&C3 still holds up rather well, which pleasantly surprise me every now and then when I play through the campaign)... :(

lol

19. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING
    I really enjoyed Generals and Zero Hour, I'm very disappointed this turned out this way.

20. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    I played the alpha was a turd