1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EA apologizes for naming German soldier with name of an actual resistance hero

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 7, 2019.

1. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    @NewTRUMP Order: Yes please censor all news so that I can live in a happy bubble oblivious to others pain and suffering.

Exactly what establishment wants - the dream every government dreams of: dear citizens, don't bother yourselves with thinking, reasoning, arguing... Just swallow whatever you're served with and don't worry, be happy... You don't like it? Well, you are not allowed to disagree, anyway, 'cause it is a Speech Crime. You still don't like what you've got? Just wait and see what comes next (cute little thing called ThoughtCrime)...

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Fundamental human nature designed to protect us dictates that you can never believe things you have been told, unless you have first hand proof. Following this, in all basic sciences, logic and reason dictate that proof must be factually undeniable by one self, and therefore all logic based theories require on the spot mathematical proof. Beyond that, we must let other people get on with their group beliefs, as this is a requirement of our secondary social nature and cohesive functioning.

Whether fortunately or unfortunately, it is not for one to say, but nature is as diverse, as the universe permits, and a civilised society can therefore be nothing more than theoretical, bound by outliers to one self, called the majority. If so, then is there a reason not to enjoy one's life, for life is as temporary as the stars that no more exist, yet glitter in the night sky for no perceived reason but one's enjoyment.

Whom is one to proclaim a hero or villain, but for one self.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Did you not read my last reply to you? I don't think anybody here agrees with censorship (except maybe SlamDunk), and nobody here is saying people should just be spoonfed information and just accept that info as-is. You're taking one issue and applying it where it isn't relevant.

Anyway... I take it you're one of those people who thinks "freedom of speech" means "I'm allowed to say whatever I want without consequence" even though that is a very wrong interpretation. Freedom of speech means you are free to say whatever you want so long as you don't infringe upon someone else's freedoms (via methods such as slander or promoting hate to a specific group). So, if you start up a rally saying you want to ostracize X group of people, that is a speech crime, because you are attempting to take away the freedoms of that group. If you just simply list a bunch of stereotypical reasons why you don't like that group of people, that's legal; you're still an asshole, but you're allowed to do that.

At least in the US, this has always been the case for hundreds of years. It's just only recently have people realized that more people exist than heterosexual Christian white males, and those people have rights too.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    Which is exactly what it means in the US. Every other country is can choose to make rules to censor, condemn, criminalize words all they want.
    You'll notice that i didn't bold your entire quote, which means that i understand that there are always consequences (good and bad). The world is grey, Jack.
    don't forget that "sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt me."

I found a comic that may be able to explain things better. Here's a link. https://www.thefire.org/resources/high-school-network/free-fire-comic-books/

airbud7 likes this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

No, thats not what it means.
    It is a protection of the press from government intervention and censur.

Things said can still get you bashed(figuratively), fired, ridiculed and mocked without your being able to litigate for it.

schmidtbag likes this.
  6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    You better be glad I'm not a mod! ...never ever talk to the boss like that!

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    he wasn't talking to Hilbert.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Damn My Bad!...he quoted a quote.....Sry!

9. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    dude, did you only glance at that post? your response was covered. someone bought a "Jump to Conclusions Mat"

airbud7 likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    too late in the evening here.

airbud7 and Brasky like this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    No... it really doesn't. Freedom of speech in the US never meant you can say whatever you want without consequence. It just means the government can't punish you for your views. You are free to hate people and talk crap about whatever you want, but again, not if that infringes upon someone else's right to do the same.
    The constitution is meant to grant freedom to all citizens. If what you say detracts those freedoms, you are infringing upon their constitutional rights.
    That's what you tell children so when someone calls them a poopyhead, they shouldn't cry over it. But when you're an adult, nobody is throwing sticks and stones. You can legit ruin someone's life using only your words.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    You hit the nail on the head right there^...... Well Said schmidtbag!