EA and Codemasters Announce GRID Legends, Coming in 2022

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD likes this.
  2. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    I hope they go back to the roots of the first game, Race Driver: Grid. I will hesitate to buy this new one after pre-ordering the #2 and then being so sorely disappointed.

KissSh0t likes this.
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I really dislike it when games try to shove a story and drama into a racing game...
    I'm fine with the way GRID 2 handled things, where it was mostly just a career and you had a manager who, while annoying, just stated your progress and next steps.

You should never pre-order AAA titles anyway, especially when EA is involved.

4. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    So EA owns it now, and it's woke. What's the surprise?

5. Surfy

Surfy Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1070 Strix
    Disagree! The story makes the game way more interesting! Otherwise it's just another Forza.... and we have plenty of those. And I like Forza. I can't wait to face off against Nathan McKane again! This is gonna be an awesome game! I can feel it!

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Will there be a inside view like the first game again? that game it was so cool... I remember trying it for the first time at a lan party, they had set it up with a steering wheel, that was so awesome.

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Race Driver back in the early days was awesome. Good story and racing.
    Nothing wrong with different types of racing games.

8. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Yup, I really liked the way the story/business was built in GRID. Then #2 came out and dispensed with everything that was good and made you race to acquire more fans, ruined the whole show..

9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Was a game ....that was paying you ....in exposure :eek:

I mean a racing game is a racing game you are there to race so I personally do not care if there is a story most likely i would skip :p , that said most wanted story was so intentionally cringy and the acting so bad ...that it ended up being really good !

schmidtbag likes this.
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Well that comes to another different problem: I'm sick of racing simulators and I know I'm not the only one. There are so many fun racing genres and most of them either don't get enough publicity, don't get enough funding, are online-only, aren't long enough, or are too easy. I still have yet to find a racing game that I found more fun than FlatOut 2. Distance would be my 2nd favorite racing game, which I found to be a lot less fun but still way better than most others I've played.
    I miss the days of games that were actually fun. Nothing wrong with a challenge or taking things seriously once in a while, but there's just no variety. Sorry but, a cheesy story and drama is not how you make a game more fun. Skip the cutscenes and you're just getting yet another Forza.

Of course there's nothing wrong with different types; see my above comment. But nobody plays a racing game for the story, and in most games, the story is either really forced or just so obvious that it's not interesting in the slightest. Though, not being a sports fan of any kind, I guess I just don't see the appeal of facing off against famed drivers, so I see where my opinion might not carry much weight for this game.

The whole thing about fans could pretty much be ignored. I paid no attention to that at all - it was a pretty useless feature of the game.
    What ruined the campaign for me was the horrendous rubber-banding. Like it didn't even try to hide it. There's no point playing a game where your skill level is artificially limited.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    /facepalm

Yeah...because what we really need to spend money on for a video game is yet another version of THIS:

For those of you that do not know, Grid 2 was one of the worst racing games ever made, because they spent so much of their budget on pointless soap-opera-levels-of-cringey-non-skippable-videos.

No. Just NO.

Y'know, I swear they only did it for the new game, so they could tick the SJW boxes needed for the Twitter-mob to not figuratively knife them on the way to Starbucks one morning.

Ethnically diverse drivers - check
    Female drivers - check
    Female drivers wishing to be the first XYZ female to achieve XYZ goal - check
    Ethnically diverse male drivers' wishes and dreams and feel-feels to be discussed opening and uncharacteristically - check

Yup, that pretty much gives you the magical shield that means the Twitter gangs will not figuratively drive by your house and fire insults at you and your children.....

It would be nice if they spent the money on making a good game.

This is why I like the Gran Turismo series, because Polyphony spent their entire budget on driving simulations and graphics...the focus was so great, they ignored AI drivers (who drive with train-track mindsets), UI (that is the worst UI in any game ever, with loadscreens to load loadscreens*) and just kept that focus on, for the better part of 25 years. That's dedication.

Grid ceased being fun after the first game. That's the fact of it, and spending any money on anything other than game design and game mechanics is a waste.

Go play Grid (original) and have fun with the drifting events. They truly are terrific fun, trying to get a higher and higher score - and demolition derby multi-player online is crazy bedlam for all members of the family.

*GT5 on PS3

Venix likes this.
  12. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    I must break you!

If he dies.............................he dies!

13. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Another Codemaster game that will cost a whole fortune, at least 3x AAA price.