EA: 99.8 percent of gamers don't care about DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Read the above posts. This form of DRM (secuROM) does not ensure that we pay for their products. It hurts the legitimate users only.

I could pirate any secuROM game as easily as any other and, unlike the legal users, I would not have to have secuROM installed. So I would not be limited to x number of installs and I wouldn't have a rootkit fiddling about in my system and running in the background 24/7.

What they should do is use something like steam. Something that competes with torrents. Alot of people don't pirate because they don't have the money, they do it because it's more convenient than buying the disks and because they can just surf around on a site and click the stuff they want.

Steam offers something like this that is legitimate and they pass on the cost savings to consumers. Because you don't need a box, manual or DVD it costs loss to get the product to you, so it's cheaper. And it works bloody well at stopping piracy too.

SecuROM, however, is more expensive. It's underhand. And it does not do anything.

*EDIT: And xrc, let's face it, they'd still sell games for PC no matter what. There's profit, and if you look at the figures, there's a lot of profit. Even Spore, one of the worst games I've ever played, and supposedly the most pirated, has already made them one helluva lot of money.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  2. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    EA Games. Challenge everything. Including your customers. Because your customers must not know what the hell they're talking about.

If his statement were true we would see more people going against the anti-DRM ideas, and saying they support the DRM. Fact is, no one really supports it. At best you see it as an unavoidable consequence of piracy. This supports the idea that 99.8 percent of gamers don't know what the hell DRM stands for, and even if you told them Digital Rights Management, they'd still look at you like you were a loser.

3. Captain Blamo

Captain Blamo Member Guru

GPU:
    295GTX CO-OP
    Do know what the actual bottom line numbers are regarding DRM's overall effect on piracy. Not sure if we will ever know if its effective or not. If you check torrent sites piracy seems to be alive and kicking. But then again locks are not meant to stop thieves they are meant to stop honest people. If a thief runs into a lock they will find a way in. But people who do not intend to steal will walk away from a locked door.

It sucks that DRM and the like exists but who is to blame for it's presence? I doubt that SW dev's would spend cash on a security measure that wasn't needed. The reason it is there is that people are stealing from them.

So people who are mad at EA and others for DRM are directing there anger at the wrong people. These companies have to protect themselves from thieves.

4. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Yeah, I quoted myself. But I've written the same thing about 10 times, and it answers that exact point every time.

Calculating the effectiveness of DRM is easy. Take one game with DRM, and another that sold about the same without it, and compare their popularity on download sites.

Do that with a number of games, and bingo, looks like DRM does f*all.

5. Captain Blamo

GPU:
    295GTX CO-OP
    I love steam so much.

As far as I'm concerned it's the best online one stops shops for games. You can back up all your games to another drive for safe keeping and the back up and reinstall process is super fast. Not to mention that the actual download speeds are damn good. The defrag and console launch options work well.

6. Captain Blamo

GPU:
    295GTX CO-OP
    Was actually responding to the other dude
    Had not read you post yet

As far as the fail is concerned I would like to see the actual legit numbers.

7. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Well compare Mass Effect with Oblivion.

Just go on a torrent site now, find the most popular Oblivion torrents and the most popular Mass Effect torrents and see if you think secuROM has significantly reduced the number of downloads.

And I know that's not exactly going to be amazingly accurate results. But I'd say it defies the idea that secuROM stops the game being pirated.

8. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I think I mentioned it in previous post already but it seems you are talking about me and didn't notice that I said the DRM does nothing to help piracy yet it hinder the legitimate user/consumer. I support the idea of proper DRM(steam as in login/register verification is okay, not saying it is invulnerable) unlike secuROM where it install crap on your computer that does nothing useful but could potentially ruin your computer and your privacy.

And I will still ask you this question since you never answer it. So you think it is OK for company to install these questionable software that could gather information about you (not only DRM but for whatever purpose they use) without telling you one bit before purchasing? Printing it on the manual is just as bad as not mentioning it because most game store refuse to do a refund (they will opt for swapping a game) a opened box.

They should have print it on the box (or on the plastic that wrapping the box) with a easy reading font and size. Don't answer me that they need it to prevent piracy because that is bull****ting. Do you think its ok if the FBI is listening to your phone call just because you can buy a gun(not even owning one since DRM is installed even if you didn't own anything like Alcohol 120% or Burning tools) and so they labeled you as a potential terrorist?

9. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    You see you are wrong.

It DOES stop piracy, just not the one you are thinking about.

They can never stop online piracy, But this method certainly Stops Casual Piracy....Ie someone copying the disc and giving it to a friend, or making copies to sell.

EA know they cant stop online piracy, but they know they can hinder it..

10. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Whoa! That's alot of words!

Piracy is bad. People who make bad/flashy games are even worse.

11. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    It doesn't stop those pirates at all. Unless a casual pirates is those dummy who can't even use a search engine. And compare the money loss due to 'casual' pirates to the cost of the DRM crap.

And not to mention those pirates would not buy a legit copy in the first place, if they can't get it from a friend, they just buy it from a pirate vendor at a much reduced price.

12. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Yeh cause they are everyWhere..............

13. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Copying the disk and giving it to a friend usually means you're gonna know how to use some kinda disk cloning software, and they're still gonna need a no-cd or something to prevent the software detecting that its a copied disk.

If someone can do that, chances are they aren't too stupid to go on google and type "computer game torrent".

And I'm no expert, but most pirate copies sold for retail, like at car bootsales or in certain less reputable countries don't keep the DRM on them...

14. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Ok fine, They should get rid of protection all together then??

That would make this thing go away im sure...

sarcasm

15. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    No, no one's been saying that.

In fact, everyone on here has been praising steam and valve's tackling of piracy, which by all accounts has been far more successful than secuROM and less... erm... ****?

16. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    You don't listen very well, do you? Nobody is saying that they aren't allowed to protect their investment. They're saying you shouldn't punish those that legally buy your product.

They should search for different ways to prevent piracy. This method isn't working at all.
    Maybe they should listen to their customers for a change and hear what they have to say instead of pulling numbers out of their asses. I know that I would have bought a few games if they didn't have DRM (I didn't pirate them, but I'd like to play Mass Effect and Red Alert 3 very much, but I won't stand for this DRM thing)
    Now I have to wait till these games are in the bargain bin and the protections are removed. I did this with X3:Reunion and Gothic3. Once they made a patch which removed the hindering protection (Starforce and Tages respectively) I bought the games because I think the developers should be rewarded for their work. But in the process I saved some 75Euro's (Gothic3 was 5 Euro's and X3 20) That's totally fine by me of course, but if these games didn't have those hindering copy protections, I probably would have bought them when they launched, making them more money.
    Nowadays I NEVER buy any games at launch, because I want to make sure the copy protections aren't too restricting before I buy. Which is their own fault, not mine..

17. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well, that's true.... but SafeDisc 1 also prevents casual piracy. Probably not to the same extent since it's far easier to remove SafeDisc 1 than whatever version of SecuROM they are up to now.... but still. Anyways, if you wanted you could just download the pirated version and burn it to CDs and give it to friends and sell them. I fail to see how this is any different than "casual pirating." I'd actually think it's worse since the company didn't even get money off the orignal copy.

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I gotta agree. I've been using Steam since its inception. After some early growing pains it's become very stable and an excellent game delivery and use system.

19. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Yep, all bow down and praise the almighty Steam. Right up until something like this happens,

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=277104

guy has 101 games through Steam and can't play any of them. So tell me again what is so great about Steam that one screw-up can cost you ALL games purchased through them?

20. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    Yep, all because ClickandBuy failed to pay Valve (my money of course from my bank account) in time and Valve just disabled my account. First i had "License expired" with CoD1 & 2, the next day my whole account was banned.

Today i got a mail from ClickandBuy telling me that the've finally paid Valve for my CoD games, but still no luck with my account and Valve hasn't responded yet either to my support question. But the've closed my topic about the situation on the official Steam forums telling me in a formal way to STFU.

It's stupid since i can't find any page for my bought games (with subscription info) so that i can show Valve which games i've bought so that i could make a new account for those game, but noooo, you only have that option to print one (and buy a safe for it as well or else), but this is really unexpected and out of my control and guess who will be punished?

Me, the criminal!
    Why don't they just send the police and put me in jail for this? Because it's always the customer's fault. :bang:

And contacting Valve is a pain in the butt. I also sent a mail to "support@steampowered.com" (just made that mail, since you can't mail Valve and hoping it would be alright) hoping someone would read it, but i got an automail back telling me that Valve doesn't read mails and that i should ask another (worthless?) question. :bang: