EA: 99.8 percent of gamers don't care about DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    CD/DVD checks have nothing to do with secuROM, it will still run if you have one. It will still install if you have one. It will still have administrative access to your computer and piss about with other software you have installed...

Even if you've uninstalled spore by now (and you probably have, let's face it, it's a crap game) secuROM will still be on your system.

I paid for spore, and I hated the game, but aside from that I hate the idea of companies installing things you don't want. It's annoying.

Like those epson printer drivers that used to install an entire army of little programs that run in the background/in your taskbar telling you crap you don't need/want to know about your printer. Jesus did that annoy me.

2. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    In addition to the DRM did anyone happen to read the manual and see this,

[​IMG]

3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Why do we put up with "Anonymous" information, when an IP address is CLEARLY not Anonymous.

Seeing as all you need is an IP address and a time stamp, then they can get police involved and contact your ISP to see who it belonged to at the time.

4. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Meh tbh I'm fine with in-game advertising. Like bill-boards and what not. As long as it's not taken too far anyway :p If anything having bill-boards in games display recent and real products increases realism.

But yeah, they could at least state they don't store the IP address. That "basic information" is a little vague too, I'd quite to know what they call "basic information", and what they class as "transmitting" and "measuring".

Do they collect information that will help them choose what to transmit? Bloody hope not anyway.

5. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    That's what they call voluntary spyware. Your privacy rights being violated with your own permission; what a great ploy!

6. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Because lots of people use it for pirating so it is OK to install malware / rootkit on your system 'WITHOUT' telling you and do stuff that is questionable?

No matter what is the cause they simply shouldn't have a right to install anything on your computer and gather information about you. They need to inform you and have your permission to do so. And that is not the case here.

7. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Heh well tbf they do tell people it'll get installed on the box, they just don't quite tell them exactly what it is they're installing. Or exactly what it does.

And that's if people read the box anyway. I know I sure as hell didn't.

And who the hell exactly does know what secuROM does? Or can do? It's closed-source, they could stick anything in there.

8. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I've never bought (or installed) BF2144, because it was going to use in-game ads. There are several reason for that.

1) If I get software for free then I can accept it has ads, but if I pay the full price for it then I expect it to be free of those ads. Ads make money, so if I buy a game with ads then I expect it to be significantly cheaper.

2) If the in-game ads don't contribute to the realism of the game then I don't want it either.

3) If the ad mechanism stores data about me (like an IP-address) that can trace back to me then I will not buy the game or software. I will never submit registration information that can be used for marketing purposes. Not only will the ad mechanism use it (which is the only viable way to make the mechanism generate money) but that "valuable information" is likely to be sold to others. At least I don't have a guarantee that they don't sell that information. It may all be in an EULA and maybe I am alright, but I don't want to hire a lawyer to make it readable for me. And by the time I have read it I have already bought it and it is too much of a hassle to bring it back. Most shops don't accept opened packages to be returned and online shops often require me to pay to send the software back. Game companies trust on that.

4) I don't spend money on a machine and tweak that machine only to find out that the performance or even start-up time of the game gets compromised by an ad mechanism. In-game ads eat bandwidth and thus CPU cycles.

Even if I read forums to make sure I don't fall into one of the traps mentioned above then it is likely that I make a mistake once in a while and be a victim of those practices. And I am also not resistant to impulses. So, there is probably a rootkit on my machine installed by software I have bought. ;)

9. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    shoulda said 99.9999999% of EA employees are Arse Flakes

10. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Actually i still have spore installed, i just havent gotten arround to uninstalling it yet.
    But either way i havent played it after the second day i had it.

The securom hasnt cause me to much trouble yet, it hasnt disabled any of my software yet.
    Though i still dont like that it's in the background. But i assume after the lawsuits, securom will be forced to release a complete uninstaller.

PS spore got thousands of 1 star reviews on amazon, not just hundreds.. though i wouldnt doubt there were only a few hundred rated that due to the DRM.

11. Captain Blamo

Captain Blamo Member Guru

GPU:
    295GTX CO-OP
    Do thieves tell the people they are stealing from that they are about to rip them off? If you owned a business and saw that you where getting ripped off would you stand aside and not try to protect your investments?

So EA and others are reacting to piracy and they are probably failing at it. Any software security add-on will get cracked sooner or later. As a consumer I want good games at a reasonable price. But due to piracy I now have to deal with software add-ons that can potentially screw up my enjoyment of the products I purchase.

12. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    If a new form of copy protection fails to stop a noticable precent of piracy, then they shouldnt use it again. period.

DRM has it's ups and down. it can stop the (friend lending their disc to another friend).
    But it has no effect on mainstream pirates.

It's just a waste of money to use it, and to maintain the activation servers.

Steam is the only way to go it wont stop all piracy of course, but with the idea of secure servers for multiplayer.. most people that do play multiplayer wont have a problem buying the game.

13. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    No matter what reason they use to justified the cause, they are doing stuff that is questionable and unacceptable. As a consumer you should voice your opinion to them so that they know that 99.8% of gamers don't care about this DRM crap is not true, the reason simply because they don't know what harm that some DRM software/method could do to your computer.

14. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Ok...

If u unintall the game, you get a activation back...U can have upto 5 at a time (depending)

So if u uninstall the game, there should be no problem, You have INFINITE installs...aslong as u uninstall...

Get over it, DRM is fine, you guys are just blowing it way out of proportion.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    No it's not fine because it doesn't hold piracy at bay (at all! just look at torrent sites, all these activation junk games are there, playable). And legal buyers have nothing but problems and worry if their activation **** won't leave them with a dead game.
    No, it's NOT fine. And NO we shoudln't be supporting this **** either.

16. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Why oh why won't they just use steam :( Or something similar. (Although the idea of something *similar* written by EA Games is quite simply horrifying, it'd probably be the glitches, most underhand piece of resource hogging-data mining crap ever).

Seriously, games that are released purely on steam barely ever seem to get cracked, and personally I pay for them when in quite a few instances I wouldn't otherwise.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Well there is even one worse thing. Valve games on steam are great. All you need is their login. Simple and not intrusive. I can re-install them milion times, install them on 100 PC. But in the end you can always play just on one because of login.
    Also no crap is loaded into your system apart from quite clean and polished Steam Client that acts just like regular tool without low level hooks.

But what's worse is that same games wth DRM crap on DVD's also have this DRM junk on Steam. Thats right, not just that you have to run Steam, you're also limited by the very same DRM crap. Double trouble galore.

18. Captain Blamo

Captain Blamo Member Guru

GPU:
    295GTX CO-OP
    Two questions for you:

Do you think that EA and others have the right to expect payment for there products?

What do you think they should do to protect there business and consumers from this issue?

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Well they could just strip these expensive protection schemes and simply not waste money for them? I mean are they really this dumb that they can't see they don't actually protect anything? They're just a gimmick with big words, nothing else. And a thing to piss off actual buyers. Nothing else.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    but it obviously makes them feel better to have it and confident enough to release for the PC platform. if they dont have confidence, then they can choose to not spend the money to develop, distribute, market for this platform.
    which solves 2 problems, no worries of piracy and loss of potential revenue and no worries of people crying and b***g about the product. so if you want the game, then why not buy either console version or just be happy with the PC or not ever get it at all. solutions its quite simple really