EA: 99.8 percent of gamers don't care about DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Honestly, I don't get what the big deal is here.

Yeah, they might have made up the figure 99.8%, but if you honestly believe there are more people that care about DRM, then people that don't care or don't even know what it is, you need an intuition check.

This is a hardware enthusiast forum. People here are more likely to care about computer and software related issues than someone who is a basic user.

My roommate is a perfect example. He is incredibly smart (he is going to get his Ph.D. in molecular biology), but he bought spore not knowing it had DRM, and not even knowing what DRM is. And to him, even if he knew it had DRM it doesn't matter. He has had the same Dell computer for years, and he a.) never changes his hardware, and b.) never reinstalls his OS.

MOST people are like this. This website is for enthusiasts, which are a minority compared to the number of people that use computers for basic purposes.

That being said, I think DRM is one of the absolute worst things in the computing field. I 100% support open source software. Not only is it free, but for those of us that are programmers, it is always fun to play around with code and add new features or edit existing features in a program.

2. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I wasn't going for a perfect analogy... just something that most of the people on here would understand. The whole point was to show that you wouldn't accept these restrictions on anything piece of hardware.... so why accept it for software?

3. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    The big deal is that they installing a program on YOUR computer and DISABLE SOFTWARE ON YOUR COMPUTER THAT THEY DEEMED 'QUESTIONABLE'.

99% of computer user not knowing thus not caring doesn't mean that they can do what they want on our computer just because we happen to buy / like their game. And the legality of installing stealthy software on your computer and thus damage/hinder your computer ability and performance is somewhat questionable.

What are they gonna do next? installing a trojan horse like software on your computer and gain information about you and your daily process because they think you are a potential pirate just because you installed their game?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  4. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Those 99% of users also never reformat so There goes that...

5. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Also the fact that 98.7% of all gamers probably don't know what DRM means. If they explained it to them however...

6. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    I don't care about DRM at all because it doesn't effect me at all. If it did effect me I'm sure there is some sort of (illegal?) way around it. Which causes me not to care even more.

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    good advice.

8. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    I think DRM is fine, if it runs when the game runs. Doesn't do anything to anything other than the software it came with, so no screwing with virtual disk images or installing a rootkit, and is open source.

So, checking the license key against a server? Fine, do it as much as you like. Hell, steam does it and I love steam. But EA can piss right off if they think they can install a closed-source rootkit, with no way of us telling what the hell it does/is used for.

I mean potentially this software could be used to gather statistics on users, like hardware owned/number of games purchased by other companies/websites frequented (so they know where to purchase addspace).

You can kinda see EA falling down that slippery slope, and if they do, where does it end? With some EA director going "Hell, we've screwed them so far, maybe we could just get all their other games to BSOD?", or non-anonymous reporting on who downloads pirated software?

Also, where is the "An independent third party poll" at the beginning of that statistic? That's like me saying 100% of Guru3D viewers think Nihil is ****ing great!.

Lies, bloody lies, and statistics.

9. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    Or some hacker could exploit the rootkit code to (at least malicious) cheat at his/her favorite online game, or (a little meaner) spread viruses and collect credit card information.

10. Captain Blamo

Captain Blamo Member Guru

GPU:
    295GTX CO-OP
    I really don't care about DRM.

I don't see what it does to prevent piracy. It really doesn't matter what kind of protection they place of the disk because dudes will crack it. I've only ran into an issue with DRM once and that was with Bioshock and 2 emails later it was resolved.

I gots moneys so I pays for what I wants.

11. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Do you want secuROM? Yay! Free bonus software with all EA Games!

12. Captain Blamo

GPU:
    295GTX CO-OP
    Don't care

What's actually harmful about any of this SW? I always here about the evils of this stuff but so far I haven't seen a PC catch fire yet. People treat this SW like its some Ebola, aids and Kryptonite all rolled into one. Oh yeah and it eats kids and punches old ladies in the face at church. I think that most things people with cry foul just because somebody else it doing it.

It's all aboard the boohoo train.

I reinstall my OS several times a year due to hardware testing and upgrades so I just don't give a rats ass.

I pays for whats I wants and I gets whatever I wants.

13. madlax

madlax Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GX-295N-HWFC
    I believe that 99.9% of these surveys are bs. :3eyes:

I've been using Vista 64 for quite a while now and DRM doesn't really annoy me though. There will always be workarounds. :biggun:

14. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    The reason you don't care about secuROM is because you don't know what it does and what it can do. It will disable any software on your computer if they think the software is questionable (Nero burner and even image tools are completely legal software, its like P2P network, its completely legal but people think they aren't because 'some' people use it for piracy) without asking or even notify you when you install the game. This is what it does.

You can't remove this piece of software via the normal install/uninstall routine which means it could stay on your computer forever.

Yes, you paid for what you want and you got an extra piece of software that disable other software on your system. Thats not scary, imagine that if this piece of software can also feed back data about your computer usage, hardware info, etc. Its a huge security breach and the action of installing this 3rd party software is questionable.

By the way, there are reports that some computer are damaged (not physically) after installing this software. So yes, it does catch fire.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  15. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    SecuROM DRM Backup tool
    SecuROM DRM Backup tool download.

Originally i made it for BioShock but is suppose to work with any game that's infested with crappy DRM activation. Works perfectly with BioShock but i haven't yet tested it with other games. I guess it works too.

16. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    I say this nearly all the time, and i'm going to say it again. Tossers. :)

17. Nictron

Nictron Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3070 Dual OC
    DRM hurts your customers EA!

Well I have been a bad victim of this DRM crap!

I have been playing Crysis Warhead for the last month or so and yesterday it suddenly came up with this error stating that I have reached my installation limit?

I thought WTH I have not even uninstalled the game yet! So I tried to stay calm and did the following:

- Got Crysis manual and lookup support numbers for South Africa - Dial support number, voice prompt tells me number does not exist! and no alternate number is given.

- Go to the website and dial the support number on there, no answer, but I can leave a message and they will get back to you, I did leave everything slowly and in detail, house number, mobile number and work number, still no call received at this point in time.

- Check the website some more and there is actually a page that states a Skype number for ease of use, I dial it a few times but no answer!

- So as you can guess I am getting a little agitated by now!

- So I get the Yellow pages and look for the EA distribution office in SA, I call them and they give me a number to call, the number takes me to Alexander Forbes question and answers line, guess what? they can't help me with my issue, figures!

- I call back to distribution centre; I get told that that is the only number they have for me! Sorry I get told!

- through this all I try to be polite and calm because I know the people I spoke to aren’t responsible for this issue.

- Finally I get an e-mail address, zasupport@ea.com, so I e-mail them in detail with the issue and asks them to please contact me as I would love to play the game I bought legally from a reputable retailer here in South Africa!

- Still no reply or call from them.

-So by now it is 4 to 5 hours later and my whole morning has been wasted and I have not played a single game!

So I ask you EA what should I do to get my legal copy that has not been loaded on anyone else’s machine and has not been uninstalled from my main PC since I bought it, to work?

My last option now it to look for a crack! I have my friends laughing at me because they can play it, and I the legal owner can't , I have always tried to convert them to the righteous way of doing things and now I am biting the bullet?

Thank you EA for the time wasted and embarrassment caused to me, can I send you a bill of my wasted time at my bill-out rate?

Yours sincerely

Nico Fourie (a very unhappy customer!)

18. madlax

madlax Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GX-295N-HWFC
    I got a copy of Crysis Special Edition (the original game, not warhead). I've installed it a lot of times (but in different OSes). I wonder if it's also plagued with DRM? :( :biggun:

19. Captain Blamo

GPU:
    295GTX CO-OP
    Nero has been installed on my system for years with no issues what so ever. The issue with P2P is that the vast majority who do use it are pirates. If people just payed for what they use then would these security measures would probably not exist.

So everybody has to deal with this SW because some people think that SW companies owe them free stuff. If you want something then pay for it. If you can't afford it then stop playing video games and work towards improving your situation.

20. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I dislike the idea of the DRM.. But like many others, it doesnt really effect me much.
    99.8% may actually be real numbers. And before you flame, let me explain...

If you could download a patch, that would effectively disable the DRM.. making the DRM completely meaningless to you... would you really care about it?
    I dont.

I paid way to much for spore.. but to be honest i dont care about the drm, because with no-cd patches.. i never have to deal with the DRM again... ever.

With farcry 2, and mass effect, and these other games... the DRM is meaningless because i'm just going to use a no cd patch anyways.

PS if you aren't the legit type, would you care if someone locked their door, if you could pick the lock, or better yet had a key? Of course not, it's a tiny inconvience, but it's not a problem.

Edit: another note, the whole securrom thing.. a piece of software that does anything, without your knowledge, permission, or aproval, is considered malware to me.
    Before game companies didnt need a eula or permission to use security measures because it was all disc side, or rather, it didnt actually install anything.. it was passive security.. but the new security is active in that it does stuff on your computer and is installed.. there for it requires an eula. otherwise it's malware and thus illegal.