EA: 99.8 percent of gamers don't care about DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    99.8 percent of EA's staff are monkeys

2. Gembel

Gembel Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    100% agree :biggun:

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    99.8% agree :p

4. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Now you're insulting the monkeys.

5. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i apologize to the monkeys :( (except those at EA)

6. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    I too can also make up statistics on the spot as well.

The truth is probably closer to 99.8% of gamers DO very much care about DRM.

WTF kind of "gamers" did they ask?

7. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Knowing how EA operates, console gamers.

8. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    EA said that? LMAO!! Yeah ok who are these 2%.... my dog and cat?

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    .2%

They probably polled the ****tiest sample ever.

10. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    I think they have to say on the cover of the cases of games with drm protection, Exactly what it does, and then in easy kid language.

i bet no one will ever buy those games again.

But lets stop argueing about these things, just dont buy it or pirate it.

11. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    ahoy!

Why not pirate it?

Most of these ****ty techniques to phone home or limit a software are easily bypassed or hacked out.

Also its not like its gonna hurt "the PC game scene" more. Its getting more lame by the minute all on its own. With stats like what EA is spewing no logic or real world numbers are gonna matter. Like for instance, these fools claim that the PC is the pirates place to be? Last I checked every console, EVERY LAST ONE, save the PS3 -just wait for BR burners to drop in $$- has been taken apart and a mod chip created for it so you can -GASP- play burned \ pirated games on it! OH MY GOD! WHAT A SHOCKER! Obviously these fools that target the PC for piracy fail to see the SIGNIFICANT amount of PS, PS2, XBOX, XBOX360, PSP etc games available for download. Well maybe they dont see it cuz its OH SO DIFFICULT to pull off! Ya thats gotta be it! Someone that can download and install a pirated PC game with a crews KGen would NEVER figure out how to buy an installed ~50 dollar mod chip and burn a disc! :stewpid:

In my books pirating for the PC is HARDER... a person might actually have to READ something after all! With the consoles, you pay some dude to chip it.... go to yer favorite torrent site....hell google the game yer looking for, download it and use nero or alcyhol or whatever to burn it, and with no brains whatsoever you got yerself a brand new copy of *whatever* which cost zero dollars.... well maybe it cost ya that 50 for the mod job,.... but thats a one time cost to find out EA sux a$$.

OMFG!!!! I said too much.... the Anti-PC pirate gangs are gonna lynch google for finding torrents! and kill Nero etc for being able to burn them! Sh!t we better be on the safe side and sue anyone that is capable of independant thought or creativity....

No EA and their cronies dont work me up....I need a smoke

Zyro

12. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    oh ya and on topic now.... lol

Oh..... and maybe somethin on topic

99.8% dont care about DRM? What was the criteria exactly? How educated was the test base on the subject? What was the demographic analyzed and where?

More importantly:

can we just get .2% of a look at the list of ppl that said "Oh my yes I love DRM and how limiting it is and how it infringes on my rights and privacy!"

Well maybe they didnt say it QUITE like that.... but still :3eyes:

Zyro

13. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    I think drm is fine and EA should not have to try explain them selves, it only makes things worse lol....

They should just say "To try stop Pirating" and thats it.

14. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    ok this guys works at EA or somethin

What? :3eyes:

Shouldnt have to explain what they're putting on someone elses property? Shouldnt have to explain right out in the open why its there and what it does?
    Shouldnt have to offer an alternative to someone that doesnt have the net? I know its hard to believe but last I checked "internet" wasnt on the list of "Necessities of life" so deciding who can and cant play based on their ability to call home is extremely fascist.

And if they're gonna be all about this piracy thing then see my post above. PC pirating is only one aspect of the piracy pie. I beleive it to be a smaller piece as well. PC = 1 platform, Consoles = many. Also most ppl that have a game for 1 port usually dont have it for the others. Example... if I have NHL09 for XBOX I prolly wont buy it for PS3. I use NHL09 as an example cuz its one of FEW cases where the reverse applies.... If I bought NHL09 for the PC and then played it for the XBOX I might go out and buy it for the XBOX cuz its WAY Better....oh I'd be pissed off too... shouldnt NHL09 be NHL 09 on any port? When did it become ok to rebadge last years product or to cripple it so another port was "better" or "more fully featured" while still carrying the same name? If I paid for a Mercedes and got a fookin chysler I'd be pissed and no amount of corporate BS is gonna quench that!

Anyway....

So my point is this... piracy has been around as long as there's been somethin to pirate.... its onto software now. No method has ever been fool proof cuz to do so 100% would be far too costly and outweigh sales for one... and for 2, havent you noticed that the bad guys are always ahead of the good guys? I mean if they werent then yer copy of norton from 98 would still be useful -if you could ever call norton useful-. Things like copy protection and antivirus evolve and adapt to changes \ holes that are found or made by "the bad guys" So to think that one day piracy will end is foolish... almost as naive as thinkin someday we'll win the war on terrorism... theres always gonna be someone that doesnt agree.... and that person may find other ppl that dont agree...and one of those ppl might do somethin "terrorist" in nature.

You wanna remove piracy and terrorism?

Simple

Remove the people

Else, yer wasting wind

Zyro

15. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    So you expect EA to use methods that have failed 100% of the time in the past??

Dont want DRM?? Make people not pirate games..!!!

That will never happen you say??

Well then DRM is here to Stay!!

I can rhyme :)

But seriously, They are not going to put no protection on game just because it doesnt work....they are going to get harder and stronger against piracy....

Its the same as saying, Locks On doors Dont stop robbers....Whats the point...might aswell remove them...

16. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Last I checked playing games on a computer wasn't on the list either :stewpid:

lol good one... QFT!

17. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:

1st off sorry man.... bad day here at work so I didnt mean to jump down yer throat :s

I'm not sayin no protection.... just that invading ppls comps isnt the way to do it. Just like every other protection out there its been overridden. If a line were to be followed in this direction where would it end? Would you per say, only be able in the future to only play a game on a preapproved setup or in a pre approved location?

Things will always be pirated.... be it games, guns, liquor or smokes its been goin on for centuries... nothin will stop it... not as long as ppl are ppl anyway. DRM isnt here to stay... theres always something else on the horizon. Somethin harder to crack you suggested..... well thats the same dance thats been goin on for ages.... If megabux microshat cant get a software uncrackable then I doubt anyone can. Also, if somethin was uncrackable? How long would it stay that way for? The allies cracked the Nazi ciphers which were "impossible" 64 bit encryption was cracked and replaced with 128bit which too was cracked and replaced by 256 bit.

you see? its almost a delicate dance. One side almost owes its existance to the other. A perpetual, never ending 1-up-man-ship were one side raises the bar on the other followed by the reverse.

Some ppl call it progress LOL

Zyro

18. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Dude im not saying things will never not be cracked...

im saying, That these New Methods are going to keep comming...be them DRM, New Starforce (which i think every game should have this would stop piracy....lol...)

Resorting To such Drastic Measures Shows you HOW much Piracy is affecting The big Publishers....They know Games get cracked within days....

One way they can "try" to stop it is the way they do Online Gaming...

MAKE INTERNET A REQUIREMENT

meaning ....it Checks the serial against the online database to see if its valid...

Online Games Have never....(hardly....if any) Been cracked, And i see this is the way they might go...and i dont blame them if they try this step..

DRM is just the First Link the Chain....Its only going to get longer..and more Stronger.

19. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/10/20/some-refreshing-straight-talk-piracy-pc-gaming-alliance

Good reading:

20. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    That's a silly thing to say. This "pirate" thing is more like people having the exact same door as EA, without the limitation of only being able to open it three times :nerd: