EA: 99.8 percent of gamers don't care about DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

EA had a PR nightmare on its hands with Spore but EA claims DRM isn't tht big of a deal. EA CEO John Riccitiello said at a conference that the whole issue was blown out of all proportion and that 99.8...

More...

2. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    First of all, Those disc copying software is completely legal and even some software distribute disk image so that you can burn your own installation disk (mainly linux).

Second, who gives you right to steathly disable those completely legit software? even if it is illegit, you still can't disable them without the user permission.

3. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    More like 99.8% of EA executives are asshats that make up numbers to support their bogus claims.

4. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
    I would also like to question the legality of DRM......I think that I may just decide to side step any further EA titles in a bid to avoid such potential problems.

Also, I work hard to avoid getting malware / virus etc.....why the hell why I go buy and install some??

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    I'm surprised more people don't pirate EA crap out of spite. There seems to be plenty crying and defending EA to the death against pirates though. Ever stopped to think that less people would pirate it if it didn't contain malware? I'd rather use my money as toilet paper than buy their games so long as EA keeps spewing bullsh!t and putting malware into their games.

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Every day I see how much EA can be a bunch of asshats.

Seriously, do what I do, and don't buy any of their games. Let it hurt their wallets a little more.

7. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    Congrats Riccitiello, you have sucessfull at impose a restrictive and destructive tool to PC players that buy your games and retailers.

Now u can start to think in something to do with Piracy.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  8. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Personally I don't give a **** about DRM really

As long as they let me crack the game with no-cd so I don't have to change DVDs every time I want to play a game (like steam basicly)

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    There is really no way they can stop you from not using the DVD, in the worst case you can just use an image with Daemon Tools. Personally, I don't use any of my real discs (on the PC), I made images of all of them and put them on one of my hard drives.

The same goes for most my console discs, the only scenario which I use my real discs is with the PS3 since there is no custom firmware or modchip for it yet, which pisses me off. After taxes a limited edition game costs over $90, I should be allowed to use a backup disc instead of being forced to use the real thing. It runs off the hard drive anyway, they just make you have the BD in so you can't play the game on two consoles at once with one disc.

10. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    99% does seem an absurd claim, and such comments add fuel to the fire. Does EA have any PR, or is it they really dont give a rats ass?

11. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    If there is a new game being released then before I buy it I try to find out if it has some kind of rootkit-like protection scheme. You'll never find that info on the publisher's site and you rarely read about it in game reviews. So, the best you can do is find a forum discussing that game. If it is an official forum than often the subject is banned. So, it is no wonder gamers are "not interested". That is because that info is hidden from them.

It would be great if DRM was one of the standard subjects in a game review - just like game play, performance, etc. But I don't think that will happen, because these reviewers are afraid that publishers stop sending material to them: No more exclusives and no more scoops are bad for their site.

12. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Funny is that Spore was TOP selling game in US for September ... while stalker cs was last on top 20 list below 19th 1 year old EA's ( crytek's ) Crysis... and of course other EA/maxis titels like sims and crysis warhead were on top of top 20 list... basically, Americans are guilty for still buying EA's crap and making EA's statement that 99.8 % don't care about DRM true ... ( :p )... :stewpid:

13. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    99.99% would sound too ludicrous, let's use 99,8! Then they'll believe it and all is well..... Using statistics in an argument is usefull, because more people would believe you. But they didn't ask me. That means that IF they investigated it (which they probably haven't, considering the big asses they can pull these numbers out of at EA) they didn't incorporate my vote (or anyone here at Guru3d probably) as it doesn't comply with what they want to say..

14. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    This recent EA DRM bs is starting to get out of hand.

15. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    99.8%? That means fr every 500 people only 1 person was kicked in the bollocks by DRM....

I wonder how many guru's on here have run into issues compared to the number that have not?

I would of bought spore but when I heard about the DRM I decided I would download it first to see for myself... however the game was crap anyway so I just uninstalled it full stop.

16. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Let's not forget EA's biggest seller The Sims, I would hazard a guess that most of that supposed 99.8% would be people buying this game; ie. people who don't even know what DRM is.

17. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    qft!

18. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    2 x QFT!

19. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    "99.8 % of alcoholics don't believe they are alcoholics."

"99.8 % of pedophiles believe their only problem is loving children more."

Is EA really so dumb to think we'll believe some report it comes out to placate us?

It is likely that most people don't care about the DRM, as they are just casual game users - only installing the game once. However, there are some of us who have two personal computers (desk and lap) and install our OS more often than others; meaning we have to install the game....

IF IF IF IF, EA would get OFF its ass and make something, anything, like STEAM all of their DRM problems would be solved. I just purchased the Orange Box and one serial just unlocked four games; it could not be easier. All my other games are stored at their reliable server also, so I never have to worry about losing my keys. Furthermore, extra games are merely a click and download away. Also new games by other publishers, like Ubisoft, are being ported via STEAM. Its just pure ownage.

EA:bang:

20. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB