E8500 vs Q6600?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by (IRE)Wolfman, Jan 19, 2008.

1. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    embrace

im a gamer...But i dont just play games....Something wrong with you if you just play games on a computer.....

2. embrace

embrace New Member

GPU:
    2 X EVGA 8800GTS 512
    No but what do you do that means you NEED a quad core more than a dual?

I know many people that have gaming PC's so there main needs are gamers specs. If you a gamer you will do other things than game, but what are the other things that need a quad core?

3. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Well; this is a useless thread! If ALL you do is game on your 'puter, then, I suggest you seek professional help!
    I'm going now, to multitask with my Quadcore @ 2.7. I'm not out to win any races. UT III runs beautifully on my machine; so, I'll just stick with my lowly Quad and wait for the next Quad to emerge. :bigsmile:
    I'm outa here! :banana:

4. ebucemag

ebucemag Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850 2GB Crossfire
    I would hope :) Didn't you come from a Netburst Celeron..?

5. Smellybumlove

Smellybumlove Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD4830x2 crossfire
    we do have some sour apples in this thread.

a couple of people made a very good point.

quads are useless now, a dual core with less heat andhigher clocks is gonna be a lot more usefull and faster in 80% of the applications on a pc.

quad core isnt 'there' yet and it will take a good 2 years for it to be of real use.

i **** canned my q6600 2 mins after installing my E8400, i wasnt even planning on keeping the E8400 but after faster boot times and fps in my games with less heat..............blah cant be bothered to go on

6. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    i did have a celeron D then went p4, p4, e6600 and q6600.

7. omga14

omga14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 745/915 for now
    Simplicity.

If you do any good amount of encoding/converting then a Quad will do you well and fine cutting down your times drastically even compared to a higher clocked Dual. Xvid, DivX, H.264 Converter, etc all use the full capability of Quads. Add in that the latest DivX Converter 6.8 utilizes the new SSE4.1 instruction sets and it's been seen to cut the time in half compared to a Dual.

If you only Game, browse the net, play the occasional "movie", then Duals will benifit you drastically more if you overclock considering the higher ceiling available to you with a Dual.

If you don't mind Ebay, get an E8400 now and have some fun overclocking away and wait for the 45nm Quads to come out and read the reviews. The overclocks may match negating the difference in ceiling or not and you may be happy with your E8400 do do both your gaming and your encoding/converting. On the other hand you may find that the Quad crushes the Dual in encoding/converting and is worth the additional cost to move up.

Remember, the component you purchase is always worth what you paid if you are happy with the results delivered in the end. I'm an overclocker that has been stuck with no money for a while so i'm gonna get both 45nm cpu's and make my decision on wich to sell on ebay later. Many like me previously don't have that option but I will be happy to post the results when I'm done comparing the two.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  8. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    mmmmm four cores 2 cores ????

Ill stick with four thanks

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    For a gamer who also do other things on PCs, heres where I view the quad vs dual debate:

1- games: multi-core coding (more than 2 cores) for games is a slow and tedious process. Developers, recognizing the vast majority of gamers still do not own quads at this point in time, will probably forgo the extra expense needed for multi-core coding, they KNOW the sale of their games will not be affected ONE IOTA if they were not optimized for quads (at this point in time). This will likely change, but for the next 18 months or so, I'd still buy a dual.

2- Mutli-tasking, vid encoding, rendering, DVD ripping. I do some of these things, yes. Quads will sodomize duals in these tasks. It will gain me several seconds in saved time to complete these tasks. But several seconds that dont matter to me really. If I did these things as part of my business or where it would impact my life in some important way, then it would be idiotic of me not to go for a quad.

So as it stands, the extra FPS I would gain in gaming (say from a 4ghz OC'd dual core) is more preferable to me than the several seconds I would gain from multi-tasking or other applications that benefit from quads.

The situation will be different 2 years from now, I dont think I would consider anything less than a quad 2 years from now. But as it stands, an E8400 is far more tempting to me than a Q6600. :)

10. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    its Also Background processes in Windows Vista that Get A bonus from Quad Cores.

While playing a game, Vista Automaticly Asigns processes running to the Free Cores, Therfore Giving no stutter from running programs.

11. matty_111

matty_111 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 275
    I'm getting a new pc soon and in regards to the cpus i was considering an E8400/Q9550.. would the 50% cache on the quad make much of a diff?
    does anyone know the list of penryn cpus that dont have a locked multi?

In relation to the thread id be leaning in favour of the quads, simply because id rather have 4 cores for relatively the same price. however, i dont spend alot of time playing games & when i do, its usually the gpu thats getting smashed not the cpu!

12. eduardmc

eduardmc Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
    Get the E8400, Quad is not needed now, by the time u really need (in 1-2 years) a quad, the q6600 will be old tech. u will find better processors with higher speed and lower price. i do not see any stutter from any games at all. don't believe the guy who stated this, not even crysis. i'm seeing much better perfomance in all game specially crysis running much smoother, my 3dmark06 when up alot more and FPS in games are much higher aswell. i had a q6600 and made the switch to E8400. i'm very satisfy with the perfomance, everything feel much faster. 4 core are not really needed at this time not for gaming and not for application (only doing video encoding). right now i have my E8400 at 4.2ghz i can go stable up to 4.5ghz if i wanne to but my rams are holding me back. i prefer this speed and lower timing until i get some 1066 rams.

13. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    I went with a Quad because i'll be keeping my CPU untill i get a new rig altogether.

14. Shazaam

Shazaam New Member

Quad cores are good, but it depends on what you want your computer to do...There have been numerous reviews and validations on getting the E8400 or E8500 above 4.5Ghz STABLE on air. Also above 5Ghz with a good water system. Who needs quad cores when your dueles go that fast? Plus the new Nehalem processors that are soon coming at the end of 2008 are going to use the 45nm technology. They will have 1-8 cores..completely overkill but ok. These duelies are the best if you have a good cooling system. For multitasking the new quads are better then the Q6600 and run cooler. No go q6600.

15. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Exactly rogue. This is something the little pea brain doesn't think about. Vista is a great os. It has a lot of goodies in it, and thus really utilizes the extra horsepower a quad has to offer. And if someone wants to talk gaming, my 4 cores at 3.9ghz eat 2 cores at 3.6ghz for lunch.

And I have to disagree even further about dual core being better for gaming. After overclocking both in the review below, the Quad either matches or beats a dual core...even at a 250mhz deficit.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600_8.html#sect0

Sure, if you can guarantee you'll get a E8xxx that will oc to 4ghz or higher, then right now, with the current selection of Quads, it would be the better way to go...if you're only looking at gaming. But for all tasks overall, and especially if running Vista, the G0 Q6600 is a hell of a deal at $270.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I will be picking up my 8400 in about half an hour!!! GRAB THE Wofldale!! FTW

17. misterlarry

misterlarry New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512
    I'm facing the same choice, but I've decided on going with an E84 or 8500 (whichever I can get). I go to the quad when there's really an advantage to it.

18. Lukeman

Lukeman New Member

Hi everybody just thought i could give my opinion here i dunno about technical notes and whatever....i just can tell you about when i bought my Athlon x2 4000 and tried out my blitzkrieg game hoping for god knows what improvements and.... bummer just a choppy laggy piece of crap.
    A patient mod in the blitz forum explained me that i had to download a patch to let blitzkrieg know to wich of the cores to stick.
    ????!!!?!??!? WTF i went like bananas, so let me understand i overpayed a double lazy sod thats what blitzkrieg was running at 2.2 .
    Oh but they said just wait for the multitasking.... tried to decompress 4gigs rar and contestually virusscanning...results? a disaster, so it came out that its the software itself that has to be prepared to use the dual core, thing that is starting (and i underline it STARTING) to happen right now.
    So my good OP my advice is to buy the fastest (since i dont dare to oc) dualcore

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  19. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    i have a logitech g15 keyboard and its got a lcd display that shows memory usage and cpu usage with all 4 cores of my q6600 and most of the new games show all 4 cores being used almost equally so how can people say most games use only 1 core?

20. Spockmaster

Spockmaster Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT OCX (700/2000/1728)
    i got my Q6600 in november when it was a choice between a phenom (which i rejected when i saw they were pretty bad at release), a Q6600 or an E6600...i figured id spend the extra $30 or so difference between the dual and quad, and i think i made the right choice. either way it was a huge leap, cause i was still running a socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+ at that point lol.

as far as this debate goes...id still go with the Q6600 if i had to choose now. im mainly a gamer, but i do a ton of multitasking and enough video encoding as well that the few FPS boost from getting the E8400 as opposed to my Q6600 wouldnt be worth it for me, but get whatever you prefer. at this point, its not even my CPU thats bottlenecking me on games like crysis, its my gfx cards (waiting on nvidia GT200 to upgrade, this setup is still pretty darn good.)