E8400 running very hot

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by dvnt, Mar 21, 2009.

1. dvnt

dvnt New Member

GPU:
    9800gtx+
    Hello there as you can clearly see by the topic I am having some issues with my processor. It is running incredibly hot for some reason at about 48-52 idle at stock speeds and over 60 with load. It was previously running at around 32-36 idle. I am currently using the stock intel fan after some problems with my Freezer 7 Pro, which I think I may have fixed.

I have replaced the arctic silver and remounted my fan, which is where I think my problem lies. When I mount the fan, both the stock and the F7P, I am unable to latch all four of the absurdly difficult pins in. As soon as I press one in, which feels like its going to break my mobo in half, I attempt to press the one in the opposite corner. However, when I do this it pops the other one out. I've been able to get two or even three of them in, but the fourth one is impossible to latch.

Regardless of my latching problem I was able to use my F7P with only three pins in and it ran at the previously mentioned lower temps.

My case has pretty good airflow, I have a 250mm fan on the side a 90mm in the front and a 120mm in the back as well as my cpu fan and psu fan. Also, my fans are all set to 100% in my bios.

This is all on a nvidia 780i mobo and everything that matters is at stock settings in my bios.

If anyone could offer me some helpful advice, I would greatly appreciate it, for I am currently unable to run most games for fear of overheating.

2. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    its a pita but the best way to mount a push pin hsf is to do it with the mb outside of the case. so that you can actually see the pins as they lock in. make sure the arrow on the pins isnt facing into the heatsink they have to be started facing away from the sink. personally i would do away with the push pin hsf altogether and get something with a hardmount(bolt thru).

3. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Very hot for a 45 nm CPU is >80-90°C. :)
    As maxfly says check your push-pins and in future try to get an aftermarket heatsink with hardmount (backplate and bolts).

4. Elite Knight

Elite Knight Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX1060OC 6GB
    Make sure thermal paste is on right and heatsink is stuck down fully for propper heat protection.

Maybe get a new case and better cpu fan. My quad runs at all 4 cores 22c 21c idel 34c load.

5. RyPaul

RyPaul Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTS 450 1024M
    Faulty thermal diode

I have the same experience as you do. Just use the motherboard temperature monitor or some utility like everest that can use the motherboard temperature sensor. Many if not most of the 8400's do not report accurate idle temperatures but are accurate under load.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Theres a way of getting the pins in without too much pressure. Pull the pins upward to let loose the 2 pronged plastic bit that snaps in the hole. This way you can easily get it in and then push down on it to spread it apart and secured in the hole.

7. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Cooler Master Vortex 752 is an affordable solution and is best to keep your temps in control at higher oc frequencies.

8. dvnt

dvnt New Member

GPU:
    9800gtx+
    To monitor the temps im using my bios and realtemp 3.0 so i think its pretty accurate.

I guess I kinda just wanted to verify it was the fan before buying a new one, because I had heard of people getting mid-high 30s with stock fan. I think I will try my F7P one more time and actually take my mobo out.

Thank you for the advice, if this doesn't work I will have to purchase a new fan. If that is the case what fans do you fellows recommend?

9. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    I already mentioned it above.