1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E74 repair help

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by PwntUpRage, Nov 11, 2009.

1. PwntUpRage

PwntUpRage Member

GPU:
    Rogers video Gold member
    Hi.

My sons 360 elite developed the red ring E74 error message problem (one red light flashing in bottom right hand corner with E74 error message on screen)

I followed the steps suggested to repair this overheating problem: removed heatsinks, cleaned old paste away with alchohol, apply new thermal paste, retighten Xclamps.

But the same problem persists.

Any ideas what else a person can try?

One note though, I can turn on the console with the HDMI cord unpluged and the red light does not come on, the green light just flashes.

The instant I plug in the HDMI cord thats already pluged into the TV, the red light starts flashing with the error message. Not sure if this is significant.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    If you had not opened it you could have sent it to MS who would have repaired it for free as they now cover this very fault for 3 years just like the 3 RROD....and the 74 error can mean a few things, could be the clamps, could be the ana chip could be your AV cable.....there really is no way of knowing, and if its the ANA chips thats failed then your box is dead, although you could try and third party repairer who might have access to second hand parts.

Cant think of anything else you can do other than sell it on ebay as spares and buy a new arcade unit and use your 120gig HDD on it.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yeah, it's clearly a problem with the HANA chip. Since you've said that the problem doesn't occur when the HDMI cable isn't plugged in, then it's obviously that chip which is broken. Either find a new 360 motherboard somewhere, or buy a new one.

4. PCIGamer

PCIGamer Member

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC Edition