E6750 beginners overclock help to get about 3.4ghz

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by intelligent_dan, Jan 6, 2008.

1. intelligent_dan

intelligent_dan Member

GPU:
    NVidia GeForce 8800GTX
    I have just built a new computer, and i wish to overclock. Below is a list of components that i am using in my system.

intel E6750

XFX 680i motherboard

XFX nvidia 8500GT

Tuniq Tower 120

2x 1GB 800mhz RAM

Wizard case with 3 120mm fans and 1 250mm fan

600w PSU

165GB SATA HD

I think thats it.

I am an absolute beginner to overclocking and i purposely made a reasonable spec pc to overclock it. Please could you give me some advice of what settings to use in BIOS to have an overclock of about 3.4ghz. I know it will take some time.

Also possibly im not sure if you can change settings in BIOS to overclock RAM and my 8500GT graphics card. I know i can use the Rivatuner for my graphics but im not sure about RAM.

Thanks

2. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    8500GT??!! overclocking a turd won't make it smell any better. Go with a cheaper processor and get a better graphics card. I'd recommend a 3850 if you are on a tight budget.
    And if you are on a budget, then you really don't need an SLI motherboard.

3. intelligent_dan

intelligent_dan Member

GPU:
    NVidia GeForce 8800GTX
    im not on a tight budget however i dont want to spend lots and lots on my pc. i think for me personally the 8500GT is good enough but you probably are a serious gamer who needs a good graphics card and i respect that. i dont play games all the time but i like to play crysis now and again.

4. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    You want to play crysis on an 8500gt?

I'm not being elitist or anything, but I know people with 8600 cards who complain about its performance in old games like cs:s and FEAR. the 8600 cards are barely as powerful as the 7900 series, and and 8500 is even less powerful.

5. intelligent_dan

intelligent_dan Member

GPU:
    NVidia GeForce 8800GTX
    oh well, im not too bothered. thanks for letting me know though. much appreciated.

6. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon
    Yeah, 8500 is NO good at all. At LEAST get an 8800gt 256 for under $200. It is REALLY worth it.

7. intelligent_dan

intelligent_dan Member

GPU:
    NVidia GeForce 8800GTX
    ok guys thanks for the suggestions on the graphics card. My main question still hasnt been answered though which is suggestions for BIOS settings to overclock my E6750 to around 3.4GHz!!

any suggestions would be well appreciated

Thankyou

8. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    You'll have to play everything at 1024x768 or less if you get a 8500, you'd be better off with at least a 3850. unless you have a 1024x768 monitor, in which case I could understand you not wanting to spend that much money.

===================

edit, sorry forgot about the overclocking.

Anywaym, its not as simple as us telling you what to plug into your settigns menu. you have to test as you go and increase the votages as needed.
    I would recommend reading a few overclocking guides, and also look at the wikipedia pages about fsb and also about RAM speeds and timings.

9. Robry

Robry New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GT
    Yes Psytek Is right you will have to do some testing to find the voltages ect that your cpu likes. but to give you a ball park estimate of how your going to accomplish this I'll list my specs and voltages.

E6750 @ 3.4 @ 1.4325vcore FSB (*425*) x 8 =3400mhz
    2gb Ballistix memory @ 1057 2.2v 5.5.5.15 timings
    I left All other settings such as NB and SB voltage, FSB termination voltage, CPU PPL Voltage, and Reference voltages on the Auto Setting. Even Still Every chip is different you might luck out and be able to hit 3.4 on stock vcore who knows.
    But before you even get into tweaking voltages you do need to read a guild on what to enable and disable in your Bios there are certain options under CPU configuration that need to be disabled here is the link to the guild I used as I am also new to Intel base platforms. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/240001-11-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

10. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Yeah, if you wanna push past 3GHz, you start needing serious voltage bumps.

To get mine stable at 3.52GHz just now, I had to go to 1.44V from 1.375.

I'm running my E6400 @ 3.52, 8x 440 fsb, 1.44V
    My memory is running at 880MHz, 4-4-4-12, 2.18V

11. Robry

Robry New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GT
    I just hit 3.520 @ 1.4825vcore runs orthos for more than an hour then fails, Hasen't crashed in any games yet though.

12. Rootwiler

Rootwiler Active Member

GPU:
    8800GT 512
    hey, I also have the E6750. OC'ed to 3.6ghz . 1.440CPUZ cvore reading. 450x8 .. works like a charm! =D

13. DJCyclone

DJCyclone Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX 675/1500/2200 W-Cooled
    Nice OC mate.

Mine won't go more than 3.4ghz on the same mobo no matter what voltage. :(

14. MR.BONES

MR.BONES Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx6850
    With that vCore you should get at least 3.6,What are the ram dividers set at and what about the voltage?If your memory is running at is rated voltages 2.2 and it fails orthos,I would bump the northbridge&Southbridge voltages a bit and see if it holds stable.

My overclock 1.46 Wdroop under load 1.44 ET5 says 1.48 thats BS

[​IMG]

15. g00djake

g00djake New Member

GPU:
    PNY 8800GTS 320
    too easy

First off, you really should get a better video card. Depending on what applications you are running, it may not make sense to OC your CPU, other components in your system may act as a bottleneck, especially for most games. but if you seriously need more power...

I have the same CPU and mainboard as you do. First thing first, update your BIOS. That alone brought me a 300mhz boost. Try a FSB @ 1700 and core voltage at 1.336 and test for stability that should do it for you. Keep in mind however that different processors have different limits and results may vary. Mine is bench stable at 3.8 but only prime stable at 3.6. Also unlink your memory in the bios. If you aren't able to boot at those speeds, it's probably your ram. best of luck.