E3 2020 is moving forward despite COVID-19 (Update: E3 is cancelled)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    In the United States alone, at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000 by the end of this flu season. Last season, 2018-2019 saw 63,000 deaths in the US.

H1N1 was far worse than COVID19. H1N1 came pretty close to killing me and i was 30 years old and in great health.

What pisses me off is how much time went by before other countries cut off travel to/from China and other places where COVID19 was spreading. I can't imagine how many more cases would be here in the US had Trump not cut off flights when the Dems were calling him a xenophobe for simply using common sense.

2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What is more deadly for you? Higher value of mortality rate or the absolute number of death? For me is the latter. As it is pollution over people putting fingers in the power socket.

Seasonal flu in my country kills over 8000 people per year as stated by the papers, that's all.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  3. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Really?

[​IMG]

Keep in mind that the death rate stated by many websites and health organizations is higher than it actually is. This is because lots of people have mild symptoms similar to a cold or flu.

The coronavirus is more deadly than the flu for some age demographics. The death rate is still considerably lower than H1N1 or SARS. And as i already said, the current COVID19 death rate is higher than it should be. Also, the mortality rate is largely based on stats from countries like China. It wont be nearly as high in first world countries.

4. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Every year, anywhere between 291,000 and 646,000 people die from the flu globally. In 2009, the H1N1 Pandemic killed an estimated 151,700 to 575,400 globally.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Cov19 isn't mutating fast enough to reach the pandemic levels that were projected, it'll more than likely peak and then vanish by june.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    best case scenario? either way that would be nice, better to be safe then sorry till such time, I been keeping any eye on this since late december 2019? Earlier today it was 256 in the states now we at 317 They should of been shut down to and from china the moment the out break was known, but im sure it was delayed cause certain entities pressure on the people that control that cause it would "hurt" there economy.

Sorta how sheriff Brody tried to shut down the beach in "jaws", but the governor said no it mid summer our peak business times we would lose money saw how that ended, fictional sure but you can be damn sure that exactly what happen real life too.

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I don't think any business-minded person wanted this to happen - the panic in the stock market has wiped out trillions of dollars of wealth and stunted economic growth. It's likely that they underestimated the threat and acted too late. Initially, nobody knew how contagious it was and in the early goings it looked like the disease could be contained in China, until the news of outbreaks in other countries changed all of that.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    None the less I am sure that is what happen. it double edged sword and they playing with people live when the gamble like that. China is one the most densely populated countries on the planet last

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Meanwhile in China.

Kinda gross regardless of the virus outbreak.

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Here in Scotland they are giving those on repeat prescriptions five months of advanced medicine supplies so they do not need to come to the doctors or chemist every 4 weeks for their repeat prescriptions, which will help keep a large sway of the population away from the doctors and chemist, and no doubt most will be in that more vulnerable higher age range, so good idea that one, good precautionary tactic.

RzrTrek likes this.

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!

Just had to share :p :D

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Are they? I just re order my Insulin and they didn't say a thing about me being given an extended supply. I am also wondering if they have enough of the Libra BG systems to supply those with five months worth given that they struggled just to get me my last 2 month supply of them? Guess I'll find out when I do a pick up tomorrow.

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^Yeap, mother in law and a couple of her friends got it, they were talking about it during the week there, she got her insulin pen things, her high blood tablets, her statins......she has a big bag of them in the fridge, and it was out of the blue, she just went in for her normal repeat and the chemist gave her 5 months....although they are in the late 70s, so maybe age is a factor in this.

14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    Being "less lethal" and slow to develop is exactly why this may ultimately kill more people than anything since the "Spanish flu". So many can have it with no symptoms making it incredibly hard to effectively contain. It's coming to your town soon enough.

As a purely scientific observation, witnessing this virus spread in real time across the world and different states is fascinating, even with the poorly recorded data. Never seen anything like this.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nah.
    It's already demonstrated that while flu will take hold and affect the young in deadly cirumstances, coronavirus is not affecting children and teenagers much at all.

Alessio1989 likes this.

16. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Yes, so kids with the virus going places, visiting their parents and grandparents without even knowing they have the virus!
    Guess who got the virus now?

Have you ever thought 1 step ahead or just staring at the fact that right at your nose?
    Just cause apples killed more people, doesn't mean oranges are less dangerous for the society.

You sound like a person who buys Intel just cause it has better numbers in a specific game!
    BUT INTEL HAS MOAR FRAMES IN XYZ GAME! WHO CARES ABOUT OTHER DIFFERENCES!

edit: and don't miss the possibility that flu cases will drop as temperature rises, but Covid19 is only getting warmed up and started.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    TheDeeGee likes this.
  17. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Evil.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    On behalf of my 89 year old grandma.

F U C K you kindly, sir.

(i mean it and won't take it back)

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Oh come on, that is just awful thing to say, what is wrong with some people.

SamuelL421 likes this.
  20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    We need accurate data to wrap our heads around this. I too am watching Italy because of all the Countries that are infected the most, they are the ones I actually trust the data we're getting is (possibly) more accurate.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Italy had only lost like 40 people over the whole flu season but I think that is way, way, way off the real numbers. Italy, a country of 60 million, loses about 10,000-15,000 people annually to the flu. Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971219303285

Seems the real number looks more like 27/day (10,000/365) and in actuality, during peak flu season (~3 months long), the daily death totals may be 3x higher.
    Say 60-80 dead per day.

Do you guys think 70/day is about accurate for flu deaths in Italy during peak season or am I missing something here? That's the number I'm using this week to see how it compares. 41, 49 and 133 dead in Italy on wed/thur/fri is not a good sign. Hopefully that levels off.