E3 2017: Far Cry 5 Gameplay Shown

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 14, 2017.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

I'm White... Lets shoot each other!....:biggun:

hahaha...I don't care what color you are....I still kick your butt!....

2. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Funny how it was always ok to kill Russians in games, but killing American cult members is somehow off limits.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You did, and everyone else who is bringing this up as a topic are. The simple fact we are having this "conversation" right now proves it.

You look through the past 20 years of games, and by your logic, you'll find endless material to make a big deal out of, where there is none. But hey, you'll find it! Because it's not that games/movies/etc. are trying to make a big deal out of stuff, no, that's not the cool thing. The cool thing today, is to find stuff that isn't there, claim it is, and make an argument about it. That's the cool thing.

Cool story bro.

^ Exactly my point. Wasn't a problem then. Suddenly a problem now.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Haha that's because you're pretty much referring to the same people. The ultra-patrotic Americans who hate on Russians (or really anyone who is too dissimilar to themselves) often have some relation to a cult. Obviously, they wouldn't call it that.

5. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I really don't care which pixels get killed.

What I hope - against all reasonable expectations - is that the combat will even approach Crysis quality. Well, OK ... if it will even remind me of that game. Maybe some AI that stands off and dukes it out at long range? That takes cover? That flanks me? If everything can not be stupid melee action, with weapons I had to craft by skinning pigs I caught and finding the right flower petals??

It's sad what passes for "good enough" in action shooters these days, almost ten years after Crytek showed how it can be done. Ubi keeps the name "Far Cry" for a good reason - their junk is truly a far cry from the original.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Crysis was also junk though, and the original Far Cry was even worse.

Tbf I don't like any of the games and haven't gotten past 3, but that was definitely the best of a bad bunch.

2 stands out as well, but only based on first impressions.

7. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Was not really intending to comment but **** it.

Muslims and arabs have been and are the target of every media. We have been killing them in games, movies, music videos, tv, and not only that, but also in reality. Most if not all war game franchises have targeted muslims.

I am willing to buy the mega gold delux 200 bucks edition if just once a game went out of its way and let me control a character that goes ape **** crazy killing americans. Make it even more real with ingame npc´s being replicas of real life politician and celebrities that get killed by the player. Even better make the main character a muslim and name him mohamed and give his beard Hairworks for more eye candy.

We either get zombies, nazis, arabs, aliens, soviet union, but god forbids if it we shoot a hilly billy in a game.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    This is fight words and I challenge You To A Duel...

3..2..1.. turn around..

boom... I shot you in the spleen

9. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    This.

The heretic

10. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    @Redemption - OK, if Crysis is junk, then name one game in the same FPS-adventure genre that isn't, and give us a couple of reasons why it is so much better. Related to gameplay, of course - not cinematic or backstory or character, for which I can just watch TV.

Really - if there is something better, I want to hear about it. Crysis 1,2,3 are my year-round go-to games and I'd love to add another even half as good.

Waiting...

11. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I might be a rarity, but I actually like this style of gameplay. I want to feel like I'm in a movie, at least sometimes.

12. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    I liked the first Far Cry, a lot actually, until mutants showed up. I enjoyed Crysis, until aliens showed up. Hmm, there is a pattern here.

13. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    The AI in Far Cry and Crysis was not particularly great.

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Funny i must one of the few that liked the mutants and aliens on those games. They offered something new in terms of gameplay and pacing instead of killing the same enemies over and over during the games.

As for Far Cry games, not a fan of them. Also if they want players to kill white americans, something i don´t see any problem, why not kill politicians instead of some crazy guys that belong to a cult??? I would buy the game just for that!:D

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I already did, Far Cry 2 and 3 are both more enjoyable when it comes to gameplay.

I don't really think the Crysis is junk, it looks nice and the first hour is ok. It was a response to you throwing that word around to describe a personal preference. But I do dislike every game made by Crytek when it comes to gameplay.

I'm not a huge fan of any of the above though, I'm more an Arma or Serious Sam/Doom guy when it comes to shooters.

H83, i actually think your job in this is to protect the politicians from the crazy cult. From what ive read the writer of the game was basing it on anti government feelings in rural areas.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I didn't think the combat style or the AI in FC3 was that bad. Sure, there was room for improvement and I'm sure there are games out there with much smarter AI in a FPS (not that I can think of at the moment, though).

Unfortunately, a lot of game devs rely on multiplayer for a fun experience and not bother with AI, because it's easier. Not only do I dislike this because it's a sign of laziness, but it ensures the obsolescence of a game as soon as the servers get shut down. I also generally don't like playing against humans - human players tend to be very predictable in ways that encourage vulnerability. We tend to pick the same sniping locations, we tend to gravitate toward free pickups, we have very particular priorities, we have consistent movement patterns. Good AI isn't like this. AI will change it's objective on a whim, and can adjust its behavior based on a slew of information. Where AI is usually very easy is racing games.

I remember back in the UT2004 days, the AI could be made to not only have perfect accuracy, but they could dodge being aimed at. On a good day, I was on-par with the "Masterful" difficulty, but "Godlike" was just annoyingly hard unless you had a transformed Leviathan.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Missed oportunity here... I demand a DLC where i play as a member of the crazy cult and my mission is to kill the corrupt politicians!!!

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not missed yet, I'm sure they could milk it and bring out the game again as something like Far Cry 5: The Other Side, but since they are crazy it would have to be all and not just corrupt, and probably any non believing citizens as well.

I warmed to the idea while writing that lol, doubt Ubi would be brave enough to bring out a game that the objective was to bring down the government and commit genocide.

19. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    @Redemption - so, no reasons given, you're just saying that Far Cry 2 & 3 are much better than the Crysis series... somehow?

You must be joking. I bought FC2 on release. The tutorial alone was so broken it needed a walkthrough just to get the trigger points right, so doors would open. The "gameplay" was: take a bus to one spot, kill a clump of dumb villains, bus to another spot, burn a hut, shoot another clump, and repeat. Poor animations, clunky movements, and crude weapons complemented the almost non-existent level design.

Contrast this with Crysis 1: Peek around a tree down a jungle path; an enemy patrol is coming along it, with the leader exposed. Scoped rifle, two levels of zoom, and you nail him. The others vanish into the trees and begin to flank you. You can get one or two, but they'll soon grenade your original position. Switch to shotgun and crawl away, maybe catch an outrider or two but keep an open retreat and fight along that. If one pins you down they'll converge and you're done.

Just one example out of dozens, that make these games so much fun to replay; even more so if you don't cloak. Top-notch cat & mouse.

Not to mention the superb production values in all three games, magnificent and still-unequaled graphics (Crysis 3 is a knockout), smooth motion, refined and precise weapons, intelligent level design (except Crysis 1 last part); varied and even brilliant opponents (boss battles against Pingers are superb).

The Crysis games will be seen as a high-water mark in PC game development. I can't imagine that Far Cry 5 will even compare... again... unless people point out the deficiencies.

And I'd still like to hear what I'm missing in your picks. They offer... what?

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well no need for the genocide part. It could be just a simple story of a group of americans growing disenchanted with politicians and their practices and trying to get rid of them before things get even worse... Of course we would have to kill lots of police and army men but we could call them a necessary sacrifice or other lame excuse...

But like you said, no way Ubisoft or other publisher is going to release something like this...

But i would love to hear the politicians reaction to something like this, i can already imagine the outcry, saying that the game is anti american and a danger to liberty and democracy and so on... Not to mention the reaction from the president himself... :roll: