Dying soundcard! Some queries for a new purchase

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Luke Doust, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Luke Doust

Luke Doust New Member

GPU:
    AMD Vega 64 8gb
    Hello!

I currently have a Soundblaster Zx which I bought in 2014, I recently noticed that it seems to struggle to play sound via SPDIF (sound cuts in and out constantly), I upgraded the drivers in the hope it would fix this, but instead I now get bluescreens every 30 mins or so, so I think its about time I replaced the card. (i've also replaced the cable, and have since tested the connection with a different device and it works, so it seems to be the sound card itself)

I was wondering if anyone had any advice of what cards to look at.

I currently use the PC to play games and occasionally music in private with Sennheiser HD 598 headphones, so some kind of virtual surround is a must, i'm a big fan of the controller that the Soundblaster Zx came with (it enabled me to use it as a mic, connect the headphones using its default connector (6.35mm), and control headphone level. and obviously also included an AMP for the headphones.

Ontop of this, I also have the computer connected to a Home thearter system (Yamaha RX-V675) Where I'm running a 5.1 setup for Movies, music and gaming if friends are over etc.

I was looking at the Soundblaster Zxr, but if anyone has any other suggestions which would fit my needs It would be great, also would you advise with the setup I have using Optical audio, or analogue connections to relay the sound?

Thanks

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Are you using DD Live / DTS for that 5.1 gaming to your receiver? If so, then do not consider an AE-5, as it lacks that feature.

3. Luke Doust

Luke Doust New Member

GPU:
    AMD Vega 64 8gb
    I was, until SPDIF Broke! haha

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Soundblaster AE-5, but there are better DACs for treble clarity. (I tried the AE-5 and while it is pretty good, treble response was limited on my HD650 and Meze headphones)
    There are also the external AE-7 and AE-9 with decent DACs for the front channels.
    All the above are 5.1, have a headphone amp and good virtualisation.

5. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual O8G
    I would say external Sound BlasterX G6 is a good alternative for the internal AE5. Compact and nice set of features. I have used the G5 quite some time now and it sounds good. Powers my DT990 250ohm easy.

6. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    XonarDGx, safe yourself some money.