Dying soundcard! Some queries for a new purchase

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Luke Doust, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Luke Doust

Luke Doust New Member

GPU:
    AMD Vega 64 8gb
    Hello!

I currently have a Soundblaster Zx which I bought in 2014, I recently noticed that it seems to struggle to play sound via SPDIF (sound cuts in and out constantly), I upgraded the drivers in the hope it would fix this, but instead I now get bluescreens every 30 mins or so, so I think its about time I replaced the card. (i've also replaced the cable, and have since tested the connection with a different device and it works, so it seems to be the sound card itself)

I was wondering if anyone had any advice of what cards to look at.

I currently use the PC to play games and occasionally music in private with Sennheiser HD 598 headphones, so some kind of virtual surround is a must, i'm a big fan of the controller that the Soundblaster Zx came with (it enabled me to use it as a mic, connect the headphones using its default connector (6.35mm), and control headphone level. and obviously also included an AMP for the headphones.

Ontop of this, I also have the computer connected to a Home thearter system (Yamaha RX-V675) Where I'm running a 5.1 setup for Movies, music and gaming if friends are over etc.

I was looking at the Soundblaster Zxr, but if anyone has any other suggestions which would fit my needs It would be great, also would you advise with the setup I have using Optical audio, or analogue connections to relay the sound?

Thanks

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Are you using DD Live / DTS for that 5.1 gaming to your receiver? If so, then do not consider an AE-5, as it lacks that feature.

3. Luke Doust

Luke Doust New Member

GPU:
    AMD Vega 64 8gb
    I was, until SPDIF Broke! haha

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Soundblaster AE-5, but there are better DACs for treble clarity. (I tried the AE-5 and while it is pretty good, treble response was limited on my HD650 and Meze headphones)
    There are also the external AE-7 and AE-9 with decent DACs for the front channels.
    All the above are 5.1, have a headphone amp and good virtualisation.

5. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual O8G
    I would say external Sound BlasterX G6 is a good alternative for the internal AE5. Compact and nice set of features. I have used the G5 quite some time now and it sounds good. Powers my DT990 250ohm easy.

Chess likes this.
  6. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    XonarDGx, safe yourself some money.

7. Tuoni

Tuoni Member Guru

GPU:
    Denise
    There's nothing "external" about the AE-7 and AE-9 except a breakout box that allows you to connect HP etc. to it instead of plugging it in the back of the soundcard.
    All components, DAC AMP and any and all processing is done on the internal card.

8. Sabbath

Sabbath Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Sound BlasterX G6 i have one, replaced my Asus STX never looked back

Valken likes this.
  9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    SGX G6 or external Super X-Fi if you are a movie buff. Or if you have cash to burn, the Sennheiser GSX1000 external dac + soundcard. People who game says the surround sound is really good. Demo one if you can with your favorite headphones before buying.