DXVK 1.7.1 (A Vulkan-based translation layer for DX 9/10/11)

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by SpajdrEX, Aug 13, 2020.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    In the AMD driver thread you said people using DXVK is nonsense and there aren't any problems...

you seriously seem to post just to stir crap up.

Here, have your internet points.

2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    I don't think you need to take any action if Vulkan apps start normally.

AsiJu likes this.
  3. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Technologies
    I do not use it personally, because I am just a developer and gamer, I do not search for myths and dragons like most of AMD users blaming fellow engineers for whatever issues they think they encounter. IF a random user read the tons of complaints, he would believe gaming with ATI is unviable.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I mean..... you can't even play a few games on current amd drivers without dxvk due to issues (might have been fixed, someone test mark of the ninja(non-remastered)

5. Hardc0rHamburger

Hardc0rHamburger Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    I've tried the ASYNC pre builds here and set the Environment variable but I can't seem to get any more core usage out of Cities Skylines or FEAR but they both do run a bit smoother than native DX and average FPS are up. Lowest FPS is a little better but not much and that is what I was looking for with this. Maybe I'm missing something?

6. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Are you sure it's running under DXVK? What is DXVK HUD saying? Do you have screenshots?

7. Hardc0rHamburger

Hardc0rHamburger Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    I did not enable the HUD part. It's definitely working though, FEAR had an over 100 fps avg boost but the lowest fps was only slightly better. I'll try the HUD today and make sure.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Heh, found a "clever" use for DXVK; Darkplaces source port of Quake (with Quake 1.5 mod).

Default OGL (164 fps):
    darkplaces_OGL.jpg

Optional DX9 mode with DXVK -> Vulkan (230 fps):
    darkplaces_Vulkan.jpg

Native DX9 runs somewhere in between so faster than OGL even with Dynamic RT light and shadows enabled but still slower than DXVK.
    (According to Darkplaces developer DX9 is still optional because RT shadow rendering is much slower than in OGL mode)

PS: RT = real-time, not ray-traced ;)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    Valken likes this.
  9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Tried it and yeah, it's a stutterfest and doesn't seem to alleviate the fps drops in places, which is what I wanted to try.

Thanks for your effort anyway!

10. Cryio

Cryio Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700 XT
    I don't know how or when (Visual C++, Windows 10 update or just AMD driver update), but Far Cry 4 is now playable with DXVK Async on 5700 XT.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter. Game has tremendous overhead in Vulkan vs DX11 (some 20% less performance) and it doesn't improve on any of the CPU bound parts.

It also has glitches when rendering shadows.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Yes, Dunia regressed with newer DXVK versions, allegedly game bug (not to be confused with amdvlk driver issues since DXVK 1.8). And indeed it doesn't really profit by DXVK anyway when being CPU bound, perhaps the poor multithreading of the game doesn't trigger overhead issues in the D3D11 driver.

It btw. seems to me that the config option of the async patch to enable async shader compile doesn't work and we have to use the environment variable. I suggest to strictly separate usage of the patched async version for single player games only and the regular upstream version for multiplayer in order to safely export the variable globally.

12. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    DXVK 1.9 released

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Valken, SpajdrEX and AsiJu like this.
  13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Contains Days Gone fix, might give the release version another spin just for the heck of it.

14. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    This is a wonderful thread and I really appreciate the input you all have provided so far. I have a few questions:

Can you name some games that benefit in terms of performance from DXVK? Just looking to experiment a bit.

15. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Romulus_ut3 likes this.

16. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    I can't seem to get my origin version of Crysis 64bit to work with DXVK. It'll work with DX9 but not DX10. Is there a workaround for this?

17. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    Right. I have found the workaround to get DXVK working while running Crysis' DX10 mode. You need to copy over both bin32 and bin64 folders from Crysis Warhead and replace any and all existing files. Voila!
    Make sure to keep a backup of your original Crysis' bin32 and bin64 folder before doing this, just in case you want to revert the changes. The Crysis Warhead executable has better multithreading and FMOD from my understanding, which the vanilla Crysis lacks.

18. qwertydrive

qwertydrive Member

GPU:
    Sapphire rx 480 nitro
    Command & conquer remastered and forged battalion both work better for me using DXVK, Which does help a lot as the game did have some optimization issues

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  19. Cryio

Cryio Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700 XT
    Gave Wolfenstein 2009 a try with DXVK Async 1.9.

AFAIK, it's the only id Tech 4 game with a DirectX (DX9) render path. The engine is quite janky in this game though. Based on Raven Software's previous work, Quake 4, id Tech 4 is also multithread aware, having a numThreads option on the config file. By default is set to 1, trying to set it to 12 for a R5 3600 sets the file as "6", for cores, apparently.

Using Vulkan instead of DX9 makes the mouse vastly more responsive and almost behave like a hardware cursor in this case. Viewport and orientation isn't 1:1 like in most games though. You can sort of turn your head 5 degrees in any direction before your reticule will follow along.

Nontheless, there is still a ton of judder. So while performance is improved, frametimes are improved and mouse look is improved, there are a ton of moments where even if FPS counter says 60 fps, you can feel tons of juddering all the time. Like it's fluctuating hard between 40-60 every few ms. No idea why it took Raven 4 years between Quake 4 and Wolfenstein and what they actually did all that time.

Quake 4 on OpenGL doesn't suffer from this judder. Its engine isn't as optimized as in Doom 3 (original, source port or BFG), trying a 120 fps mod unlocks the fps, but I was still CPU bound to the extent I was better of limiting fps to 90 as opposed to 120 to avoid slowdown of game logic (ah, id Tech 4-5 days). Their next game after Wolfenstein, Singularity, on Unreal 3, smooth as butter, unwaivering 120 fps experience.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  20. Espionage724

Espionage724 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8G
    With Guild Wars 2, recently I found some nice improvements with
    Code:
    d3d9.numBackBuffers = 3
    and
    Code:
    d3d9.samplerAnisotropy = 16
    . If I saw correctly, using 3 buffers forces triple-buffering with Vsync and allows FPS not to lock to certain values. For the Anisotropy, setting 16 from DXVK seems to have less performance impact than the best filtering option in-game, while still looking as-good. I also use
    Code:
    dxvk.enableAsync = true
    with the Async build.

With a RX 580: Final Fantasy 14 and Age of Empires 2 DE both gain some FPS with DXVK vs using the default D3D11 renderer. Guild Wars 2 gets a significant boost, and interestingly, DXVK performs better with it than d912pxy on Windows 10.