DXVK 1.7.1 (A Vulkan-based translation layer for DX 9/10/11)

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by SpajdrEX, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i haven't had any issues using RTSS with DXVK wrapped applications, You guys might be suffering from the Adrenaline reshade junk breaking the overlay chain.

2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    It works mostly fine with other games, but Kingdom Deliverance quits the game or simply does not show overlay at all.

At least DXVK HUD works now, needed to simply restart the windows :rolleyes:

3. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2070 Mini OC
    So is it actually possible to get BF4 to run?

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I can't seem to get it to work, with stalker or skyrim, they just crash on launch.... At least I know dxvk is trying now, but....... just not successfully.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 reference UV
    Yes. However, BF4 uses ICMP to determine player pings, which can be/is troublesome in Wine due to Linux restrictions.

Generally, there are only few games that don't run with DXVK on Linux and indeed e.g. Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Just Cause 3 and even GTA V can run with better frame time consistency than with native AMD D3D11 on Windows.

chinobino likes this.
  6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Decided to test things with my usual go-to game: SWTOR

Game uses DX9 x86, so using 32bit DXVK. Async enabled in Global Environment.

Tested using Enhanced VSync and regular VSync. I wound up preferring Enh VSync off due to some screen lighting flicker with FreeSync enabled. The thing that I noticed the most is the utter lack of hitching when fps is maxed, and VSync is enabled. When you drop below 60 on my 4K panel, it pops into FreeSync, and you usually get that hitch, and you need to use fps capping to mitigate. Not needed here, it's glorious. :) Running around Rishi, lowest dip was 58.9, and at 59.9-60.0 most of the time. GPU pegging about 62-65% load. (5700XT)

Only caveat is I had to set the game to Windowed Fullscreen. Using Exclusive mode wouldn't let me Alt-Tab to Desktop properly. Is there a DXVK setting I can try?

Decided to try DA:I, can't get the game to start up, using 64bit DX11 + dxgi

7. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    wow I might do a replay including episodes

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    DXVK.conf doesn't require this ;)

Skyrim is one of the games i know dxvk works perfectly with, so theres probably something within your environment breaking it.

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    I found out that lots of crashes is related to web browser (if it's open in the background)
    Just turn everything OFF -> then launch game w/VLK

10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 reference UV
    I don't think so, this seems to be an AMD Windows Vulkan driver issue.
    However, "borderless" in this case still means exclusive (DWM off), just with (mostly) different alt + tab behavior.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    behavior that at least let's me look at another app :)

12. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    How-to... DirectX over Vulkan (DXVK) on Windows

DXVK is a translation layer for running DirectX apps/games over Vulkan initialy developed for use on Linux and later incorporated to Steam's Proton aka SteamPlay... but we can use DXVK on Windows as well to reduce some older APIs limitations/bottlenecks :)

Please keep in mind that online/competitive games may consider use of DXVK as cheating/hacking/unallowed DLL modification etc.
    DO NOT use DXVK for those games

In some cases there are issues with overlays (RTSS etc.)

ReShade or other tools using shader injection are NOT supported
    (but it could be possible to use them after some further elaboration - not tested)

Please keep in mind that some games does NOT work at all with DXVK

This guide describes only basic working configuration. For more info about detailed settings, please check project pages linked below

More info can be found on project GitHub pages:

There is also Async fork of DXVK which includes some further optimizations - eliminates stuttering during state/shader caching etc. (see below)
    What you will need:
    • DXVK libraries
    • Set system variables (sysvars)
    • Brain

Download:
    "Installation" steps:
    1. Download .tar.gz archive with libraries
    2. Extract archive to some place
    3. Copy DLLs from x32 or x64 folder - depending on bitness of your app/game - to game folder:
      • In most cases, you have to paste DLLs to the same folder where main executable is located
      • In some rare cases, you have to copy DLLs to a folder where are other DLLs used by app located - for example: in case of Black Mesa game, you have to paste DLLs into "..\bin\" folder, NOT to the same location as "bms.exe" executable file.
    4. Set system variables for ASYNC and HUD (only when you want to extend DXVK HUD displayed information)
    Sysvars (global) configuration:

If you want to use DXVK async pipelines, you have to set "DXVK_ASYNC" system variable (not needed for vanilla) :

• Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Environment Variables -> click "New..." under System variables
      • Variable name: DXVK_ASYNC
      • Variable value: 1

HUD global configuration:
    • Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Environment Variables -> click "New..." under System variables
      • Variable name: DXVK_HUD
      • Variable value: <see possible values below>

Example of sysvars settings (DXVK_ASYNC + full HUD)
    [​IMG]

You can also use "dxvk.conf" configuration file for global or per game settings - please see project pages/wiki for more info

For notebooks with multiple GPUs there is some additional configuration required - see project pages for Device filter configuration

--------------------------------------------
    Few engines/games have been tested by me on RX Vega + DXVK 1.7.3 Async build on Windows 10 20H2 -> nice gains + better frametimes in all cases

List:
    • UE3/4 - Borderlands (1, 2, Pre-Sequel), Mass Effect 1-3, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Homefront etc.
    • Cryengines - Crysis series, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Homefront: The Revolution etc.
    • Frostbite - Mass Effect Andromeda, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Need for Speed (reboot series) etc.
    • Creation Engine - Elder Scrolls series, Fallout 3 - 4 etc.
    • AnvilNext Engine - Assassin's Creed series
    • Dunia Engine - FarCry 2 and FarCry 3 tested
    • Aurora/RED egine - Witcher 1 - 3
    • X-ray engine - STALKER series
    • VOID engine - Dishonored 2, Dishonored: Death of Outsider, Prey, Prey - Typhoon hunter
    • Black Mesa (modified Source engine)

Thx to Philip Rebohle aka doitsujin and Amine Hassane aka Sporif for their great work!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  13. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Great post!
    Many thanks

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Great post!

What are the disadvantages of using the DXVK Async fork.
    I'm thinking there must be some otherwise it would be the only version moving forward.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Blizzard might ban you if used with overwatch.

16. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    As mentioned on DXVK Async github, shader cache files can be bigger in size (not by much tho).

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thanks guys.

18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    6800 reference UV
    Could also applicable to other anti-cheat systems, we might know only when it's too late. Async shader compile means rendering first few frames without some shaders, i.e. effects missing. If someone gets banned, the user is to be blamed, not the anti-cheat.

19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I cannot get DA:I to start up with DXVK installed in exe location. Any tips?

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    only copy dxgi and d3d11, don't run reshade or msi ab.