DX12 CPU and GPU benchmarks - [[Ashes of the Singularity]]

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by Sneakers, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Right, I have been a bit curious about how dx12 is panning out, and I have noticed there really are not many actual GAME benchmarks out that stress both cpu and gpu using dx12 api.

I seen that the game Ashes of the Singularity has a built in dx12 benchmark, and given the game is a cpu intensive RTS this would be quite an interesting benchmark to compare new and old hardware on.

What you guys think? Have you seen any review sites use Ashes of the Singularity as a standing bench tool to compare cpus and gpus with?

If not, are anyone of you guys with multiple gaming systems prepared to bench them for the greater good :)?

I myself would be curious to see the performance difference in dx11 and dx12 with socket:

and

Whats interesting with this "Ashes of the Singularity"
    is that it also gives a theoretical GPU unlimited CPU value, which I feel is a quite interesting value and indicator.

Discuss!

/edit

Ashes of the Singularity DX11 i7 870 @4ghz HT on socket 1156 benchmark

[​IMG]

Ashes of the Singularity DX12 i7 870 @4ghz HT on socket 1156 benchmark

[​IMG]

Ashes of the Singularity DX12 i7 3930K @stock 3.8 ghz boost HT on socket 2011 benchmark

[​IMG]

Ashes of the Singularity DX11 i5 2500K @4.8 ghz NO HT socket 1150 benchmark

[​IMG]

Ashes of the Singularity DX12 i5 2500K @4.8 ghz NO HT socket 1150 benchmark

[​IMG]

Ashes of the Singularity DX12 AMD FX 8320 @stock 3,5 ghz (8 cores) socket AM3+ benchmark

* This benchmark has preset value of LOW, NORMAL, HIGH and "CRAZY", top left to bottom right.

[​IMG]

What I find really interesting with this particular benchmark is the AVERAGE CPU FRAMERATE, which is an indicator for POTENTIAL fps IF the GPU has unlimited compute power. So its a value free of GPU bottle-necking.

When we look at the AMD FX8320 benchmark we can see that it is keeping up well in DX12 as well although at a mere 3.5 ghz. When focusing on the top left picture holding the LOW preset benchmark values we notice we are massively CPU limited, which is a big no no for anyone looking for 120+ fps on their monitor.

I would love if others could try and run this benchmark with their systems and see what their potential FPS is in DX12 with x y z processor in place.

/EDIT2

If a mod could help me put these pics in a thumbnail it would be golden!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i've moved this thread to the correct section and put spoiler tags around your photos.

3. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Much obliged.

/Edit

When looking at these results one has to keep in mind the benchmark settings, while beeing similar are not 100% identical, so the GPU results could be inflated/deflated due to that very fact.
    However from my understanding the AVERAGE CPU FRAMERATE, is a value indicating potential FPS with unlimited gpu power, so that is what I am looking at from these benches.

DX12 in this title, which is an RTS title that most often mean CPU limited, handles really well on older hardware and hardware with more parallel computing power.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  4. simons700

simons700 New Member

GPU:
    r9 290
    yea would love to test that Bench on my dual x5670 Rig :banana:
    But thats a 50€ Game so...

5. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Yah I figured it was a bit steep, considering all we want out of it is the benchmark ;)