DX12 and FreeSync

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by solo16, Mar 17, 2016.

1. solo16

solo16 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080Ti 11G
    Hi,

I'm pretty confused about how DX12 work with FreeSync. In recent titles Rise of the Tomb Raider, Hitman and Ashes of Singularity the FreeSync isn't working. For RotTR if I ran in DX11 it works and as for other DX11 titles. So, my question is if the FreeSync will be deprecated with DX12?

AFAIK, FreeSync will only work on Exclusive Fullscreen only so since DX12 there's no longer have EF, then how the FreeSync suppose to work?

Thanks!

2. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    for the moment, it doesnt.

AMD will have to make it work for windowed, or MS will have to patch it in if they can.

That is problematic, as in windowed mode the desktop manager compositor has control.

Do you have tearing/frame timing issues in dx12 titles?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  3. solo16

solo16 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080Ti 11G
    Thanks for replying!!! No I don't really have tearing issues but in most of the games turning on the Freesync will help eliminates the micro stutter / judder also sometimes it helps with some game that my gpu can't really play at 60, like RotTR so long I got 45 ish FPS I feel it quite smooth to play, of course 60 or above are much better.

Most importantly I bought my panel less than half a year ago and I'm just a bit paranoid it'll be deprecated on DX12.

4. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    im sure they will fix it at some point.

no one will buy any games from the store if they dont.

Along with the freesync issue also is capped frame rates at your monitor max, no dll hooking for fraps, SMAA, sweetfx etc, no mod support, etc...

5. solo16

solo16 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080Ti 11G
    Thanks again!! Any chance you know about the Vulkan games? Does it share the similar trait as DX12? Thx!!!

6. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    If they are released exclusively to the windows store, yes. However, i dont see MS allowing vulkan in the store. Its a competing API afterall.

steam/gog/cd, will get fixed with a driver update at some point as long as the game supports exclusive full screen since you say Hitman and AOTS dx12 don't have it either.

At least they are .exe files and can support hooking and mods.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It will be fixed. Also Microsoft just announced at this GDC that WStore UWP apps will allowed to unleash frame-rate when maximized (ie: maximized boderless mode) like immediate fullscreen games. This mean VR and AdaptiveSync/GSync will work with WStore games too in a future OS and driver update (both are needed). Current WStore games will need to be updated too.
    For current fullscreen non-WStore games, a driver update is needed by the IHV if there are issues.

8. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Unleashed frame rates is a minor nuisance compared to the compositor's handling of simulated exclusive mode which most middle-ware requires to function.

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DirectX 12 provides APIs to allowing a D3D12 application to interop with Direct3D 11, Direct3D 10 and Direct2D (and even GDI). Non DX12 middle-wares are not a big issue.

10. solo16

solo16 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080Ti 11G
    Thank you guys!!! It's kind of release after "hear" there will be solution to that!!

Thanks!!

11. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Ashes used to have FreeSync support, the option was in the actual game and it seemed to work in DX12. Then they updated the game and the option disappeared.:bang:

To be fair, I'm not completely certain FS worked, but there was no tearing at all. The game updated as I also updated to 16.3 which added DirectFlip, but the option is now gone in any case and without VSync enabled I get tearing in DX12 AotS. I hope the option comes back.

12. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    it is if the middle-ware cant hook, ie windowed mode in uwp.

Its obviously not an issue for desktop apps, just the windows store.

13. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hooks provide crap performance. You do not need hooks at all with Direct3D, you simply share a DXGI resource or sufrace. If the middleware has no issue with WStore and you can obtain a DXGI resource or a DXGI surface then the solution (if applicable) is the same as a Win32 application.

14. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Performance may be impacted, but that doesnt change the fact that a lot of middleware relies on it.

Even if they bothered to re-write ther code to take advantage of DXGI surfaces in uwp , the lack of exclusive mode is still problematic as many rely on it.

Freesync for example.

Bottom line is its a mess. Im sure they will fix it, but its a mess right now.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Exclusive mode is not an issue at all. You do not really care if other processes (included OS processes) can allocate or use the adapter output (ie the screen). Hooks for graphics come from prior DXGI era (ie: DX9 and beofore), most middle-ware share directly a resource of some kind (like DXGI resource or DXGI surface for graphics middleware).
    The exclusive mode (which is not available on any D3D12 application, not only WStore apps) is all about preventing other application to access the adapter hardware resources, that's all. It is not technically related to unleashed framerate.

Unleashed framerate, which actually is only allowed on fullscreen D3D12 application and involve also possible tearing (especially if the application does not control in any why how frames are presented) will allowed with the next Windows 10 and SDK release in all borderless maximized window application too (both WStore and Win32), and in that scenario there will be no more practical difference between borderless maximized and fullscreen windows, it will be only a code-style matter.

VR application also are not affected at all by the lack of the exclusive mode. As example, Valve actually use a DXGI call to handle frame synch and prevent tearing, moreover in the next Windows and SDK update, VR application will be allowed on borderless maximized windows too, this mean the Windows Store will support VR application.

16. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    you seem to be missing my point.

uwp doesnt work right now. period. dx11 or dx12.

win32 does.

17. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MS just announced the UWP update to handle unleashed framerate. No-one can do nothing until MS release the update, period.

18. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    exactly my point.

and again, unleashed framerrate isnt the only problem.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  19. solo16

solo16 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080Ti 11G
    Freesync on AotS never work on Dx12, not in Early Access and not in Beta. I'm using MG279Q so if I enter the game and if it's not supporting Freesync there's OSD saying the freesync is disabled because of the refresh rate. For some games they read the "wrong" refresh rate from the monitor, as on freesync mode my panel can only support up to 90Hz and if in normal mode it's 144hz panel.

Also when loaded the game I can press the menu button on the monitor and if freesync is working the refresh rate will bouncing around, if it's not working it'll fixed at 89 / 144hz.

20. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    just wait for a driver fix. there aren't many dx12 games around... and most of them are porting (UE4 DX12 preview state of code) or remakes or beta. Do not think that NV drivers are pefect by a stability/feature PoV.