Dvi or hdmi... better option?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by mmaturen, Jan 17, 2011.

1. mmaturen

mmaturen Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX
    Hello guys, long time no read, I got a question for you, I recently purchased a Samsung p2370hd HDTV monitor to replace my Samsung 2243bwx monitor, and I was wondering what is the best connection option for my pc ? Go for my old trusty dvi cable and hook it up in the dvi connector on the monitor or get a dvi to hdmi cable and go for that. I’m mostly a gamer cause most of my movies I see on my ps3.
    Here are my specs.

Cpu Intel Q6600
    MoBo: Evga Nforce 680i Sli
    Ram: 4Gb.
    Video xfx gtx260

2. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    You should be fine using DVI.

3. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Both connections on that monitor are digital(HDMI, DVI-D) & should look the same on your setup. The max resolution is 1920x1080, so I'd go with the HDMI since it carries audio as well.

4. mmaturen

mmaturen Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX
    Thanks for the reply guys, I decided to go dvi, did not like the audio coming from the speakers of the TV and the image quality was way better (i borrowed a dvi to hdmi cable) so for me it’s going to be dvi, thanks again.

5. ExoriaX

ExoriaX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1080 Ti
    DVI and HDMI

Video: No difference.
    Audio: DVI doesn't carry audio. HDMI does.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Seems at least some of the nVidia graphics cards can pass audio using a DVI-HDMI cable though...at least my GT220 and GTX275 could. The image quality between DVI and HDMI should be identical as the signal itself is. Not really worth spending money on an HDMI cable if you're not going to use the audio signal anyway.....and GTX260 should require an internal 2-wire SPDIF cable for audio anyway.