DVD Upscaling for PC's ????

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Saeid, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    With all this DVD upscaling talk, and quoting someone reviewing
    a DVD upscaling player that Finding Nemo DVD when upscaled
    looked almost HD.

So why hasn't WinDVD, PowerDVD and/or NVidia/ATi released a
    driver or software for us to have DVD upscaling on the PC?

Surely our pc's are powerful enough to do so.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
  3. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    When you open PowerDVD and then double click on it to make it full screen..... you are then up-scaling that DVD. How much it's up-scaled depends on your display resolution.

4. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    PC DVD players have been upscaling DVDs ever since 1024x768x24bit resolution became available... that's a loooong time ago. ;)

5. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    but how come the quality is bad....
    i mean when i hear finding nemo being compared to HD running on a 1080i tv... which is 1920x1080....

amd my screen being 1680x1050 which is lower than that.... its better low quality, not even close to hd.

6. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Then you musnt have a DVD qual file...or a 480p File to be precise.

7. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    You can use FFDSHOW to upscale, denoise and sharpen movies/video's in almost every format to 720p and the result is that the movies/video's almost looks like real HD.

But you got to finetune/tweak the settings for the best viewing quality.

Here's the link for download:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow

edit: I am not sure whether the more wellknown software dvd players like powerdvd/windvd are upscaling or can upscale a dvd movie in vob or mpeg2 format that well; the movie in dvd resolution [SIZE=-1]( 720×480 [NTSC] or 720×576 [PAL]) [/SIZE]looks like stretched over the higher resolution of the lcd screen - so the result is a blurry movie/video.

And you will see the difference if you use ffdshow to upscale, denoise and sharpen the movie; the movie upscaled with ffdshow will look more like a HD video/movie than using powerdvd or windvd.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  8. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Firstly.... Finding Nemo is a special case. It has completely empty backgrounds which, most of the time, consist of a solid block of colour. Solid blocks of colour upscale very well. The characters in the film are also very simple and virtually cell-shaded (ie. Have no textures). This is also very simple to upscale.
    Secondly... you are sitting a short distance from your PC monitor. Move further back and it will look better. Typically people sit much further away from a TV, so when people say it looks as good as HD, it's because they are far enough back from the display for it not to matter..... for Finding Nemo at least.
    Thirdly....... The "1080i" TV usually means the display has a resolution of 1280X720 or 1366X768. That' a lower res than your monitor and since it's closer to DVD's resolution it will tend to look better. The higher the resolution .....the more the "lack of detail" shows up.
    Fourthly..... Anyone who has proper HD content will tell you an upscaled DVD is worlds apart from true 1080 resolution video. DVD is like watching an entire film with the camera out of focus.
    I suspect where you are finding fault with your DVD quality, that's the best that you could get out of it.

9. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Um 1080 isnt 1280*720. Thats 720p/i

1080 is 1920*1080

10. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Ummm the majority of TV's where people use 1080i as an input are 1280X720 or 1366X768.
    Unless of course it was a HD CRT display or a full 1080p display that Saeid was talking about. If he WAS talking about a 1080p display why would he mention upscaling to 1080i and I doubt he was talking about a CRT as they are pretty outdated nowadays.
    1080i is the optimum video input resolution for 1366X768 displays when the choice is only 720p or 1080i. I have yet to see video encoded to 1366X768 and it's extremely rare to have that option for upscaling.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007