During games, my PC freezes then makes a long beep.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RKOver, Jun 28, 2009.

1. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    That could be an issue, not enough power supplied would give problems during anything intense. You probably wouldn't notice it during regular use, but soon as the card spools out of its power saving mode then it would cause more problems. Plug in the other molex end and see if that fixes it.

2. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    I'll have a quick look now to see if both molex are connected or not.

3. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    The 2nd card using one 6 pin to 2 molex, is it ok to use any spare molex to connect to the 2 molex ends for the 6 pin?

4. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    why are you using a molex adapter? you're powering one of the cards off of two different transformers on that unit...that's a no-no...read the manual

5. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    My PSU ran out of 6 pin connectors directly from the PSU. I'm using the adapter that came with my 4890.

6. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    oh yeah only three native 6-pins and no 8-to-6 pin adapters included in the earlier models if you bought it some time ago. I don't know if this is the problem but in other versions of that PSU where the cabling is different they warn about not using two PCIe connectors connected to different transformers on a single graphics card. All the native PCIe connectors on your version are on one transformer but the molex connectors are on the other so I think you should find an 8-to-6 pin adapter or a 1-into-2 6-pin splitter.

7. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Ah yes. I got a 8 pin to 8 pin then plugged one end in the spare 8 pin in the PSU then got the other cables which was 8 pin to 6 pin (black end) and connected the 8 pin there to the 6 pin cable with the 8 pin the other end then plugged the 6 pin in the card. I played FEAR 2 earlier on 60% fan speed on my first 4890 and it reaches 62C as soon as I closed FEAR 2 and I got a lock up and beep. On 70% fan speed though, no problems after an hour or so. On 60% speed, I locked up in 15 minutes.

8. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    get speedfan from http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php let it run in your tray and keep an eye on your temps, click the log button on the temp tab and it will record your temps while you play a game. fire up your game and play it until it beeps, alt+tab to desktop while beeping and check temp of cpu & core normally there is a 2-5 degrees difffrence from the core & cpu to show heat dispensation from the heatsink. if the core is hotter than the cpu then you may need to resit your cpu with some new thermal compound as the heat might not be dissipating quickly enough from the cpu core. try running BOINC or prime 95 for a good hour and log your temps...

hope it helps

9. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    No problems on 80% fan speed at all. I've been gaming on TF2 for about 2 hours earlier and no problems and playing FlatOut for over an hour before TF2 and nothing either. On 60% fan speed I think, I locked up in 15 minutes or so. It may just be temperatures in game that my GPU's don't like.

10. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    This is my thought, too

11. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Dammit, got it again. If I needed to RMA, could I go through Overclockers UK because in the ASUS 4890, it says 3 years warranty. Or through ASUS? I can't find the warranty section on ASUS.

12. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    Thats direct from ASUS' website, so yeah, contact Overclockers UK to do the RMA.

13. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Thank you so much for your help :). If I have any other problems, can I ask you ?

14. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    Me? If you really want to, I'm sure there are people more experienced at this kind of thing, but sure, why not. I mostly just form sentences that somehow make sense. :p

15. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz

16. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Dammit, started again. Do you think it's because there's 2 crossfire bridges connected and not one?

17. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    It could be. Try using only one of them and see if it persists. It could be a problem in the bridge itself even.

18. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    I'll shut down, remove one then start up. Can one of the bridges be in either left or right slot or must be left?

19. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    I'd probably leave it in the left slot if you're doing just the one. Maybe switch out the bridges as well to see if one of them has gone bad and is causing the problems. If it works with just one bridge, I'd just use that.

20. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    No luck. Why is it when I first got the cards, I never got this problem. It only happened about 2 months after I got them. What if I re-install Windows?