1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dungeon Siege III

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Nice. I hope it wont be bad as second game. First game was awsome.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
  3. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=282223

A interview with Obsidian about the game. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  4. ThatDelirium

ThatDelirium Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 1GB
    With KOTOR2, LucasArt pushed them to release the game early for the holidays, they asked LucasArt later if they could do a content patch that would put all that was cut back in but they refused to let them do that. What was there of KOTOR2 however was much better than KOTOR1.

As for Obsidian making DS3, it actually makes me interested in it, I don't like the other Dungeon Siege games but I'm up for that as Obsidian actually has writers who know what they're doing, so if I can get an action RPG with an interesting story and characters then there's no problem.

Obsidian is generally a good developer, it's just that they have trouble when it comes to polishing things, it's kind of something that carried over from Black Isle, as their games were also rather buggy. Troika also had the same issue, and that one was also founded by ex-Black Isle employees much like Obsidian.

5. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1070 SuperJetstream
    There were many things that they should have done and indeed could have done, even though lucasarts forbade them, they released cutscenes/music updates and could have done the content themselves, lucasart only said they'd not pay them for it *shrugs* they had options anyway, nwn2 is another one where they reused, rehashed & even included sounds from baldur's gate instead of doing their own. The engine and the game itself could have been a whole lot better.

Anyway, that's why I've got mixed feelings, I do hope they do DS3 justice but track record speaks a lot sadly.

6. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Screenshots look promising, this along with Diablo III, I can see myself taking some time off work for an RPG fest huhmm.

One thing though;

Does this mean they may well console port it?

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    ive liked Obsidians games before... NWN 2 imo was great game :) hoping this to be better then DS2

8. Derengi

Derengi New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 580
    Wow

WOW

Do you have even remotely an idea how the real world works? Because you sure don't seem to.

No, they don't have options. Not getting paid for work for an independent company is a death sentence. They need the money to grow and exist. Theyre BIGGEST (+90%) (apart from bonuses) source of income is beeing contracted for work.
    You are basically asking people to work for free for a larger timeframe. Not to mention all the money that the company loses due to lost manhours.

(Not to mention they would have done it without any legal backing. LA could come in anytime and basically prevent them from releasing it)

I don't say anything about NWN2 since its not even the truth (well half of it). Could the engine and game have been better. Yes. So do a lot of games.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  9. wyndrusher

wyndrusher Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1070 SuperJetstream
    I have a very good idea of how the world works, and again they did do free content for kotor2 in the form of enhanced music and cutscenes they weren't paid for, there have been many game creators that have went above and beyond to rectify certain mistakes even when payment for those have ran out. As for what I pointed out in nwn2 its all true sadly and well documented on the forums.

Anyway I'm not asking anyone to work for free, simple point is if they feel like fixing an issue they sure can and some do.

10. Austyn

Austyn Guest

great first post. not.

this is something you really CANT argue about as you aint got a clue what was in the contract. none of you do.

11. Derengi

Derengi New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 580
    Yes, and both of these things didn't require much work. Those were just enhanced files. Not like creating completly new content/modifying it extensivly and there is no need for any form of bugtesting since these are just replacement files. Also weren't they supported by LA. Or am I getting this mixed up?

And please give us all these fine independet companies that did this and were in the same situation as Obsidian. Please.

Also about NWN2. Still no. You are half right as mentioned before. Look and think it over (If you want of course)

@Austyn: Yes, we know. Specifically an Restoration Patch was thought over but LA didn't pay/ denied it. Which again could have meant legal trouble for Obs if LA wanted it. You know, since LA holds the rights. And I don't really think LA would have written them over. Logically.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cut_...nights_of_the_Old_Republic_II:_The_Sith_Lords

(Don't have a better link at the moment. Will search for the interview where it was specifically said if needed.)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  12. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
  13. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 480 8gb
    Oh great.. I hope it's not going to be another crappy Microsoft port like Fable 3.

14. shoja

shoja Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I remember dungeon siege II, it was a blast! I am a bit skeptical about the 3rd one though, mainly because of the availability on consoles.

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    DS1 and DS2 were by Gas Powered Games via Microsoft, then Space Siege sort of tanked (I enjoyed it a bit though but got it at a lower price.) this is a fresh take on it by Obsidian so I expect it to be rough but I'll likely enjoy it a lot. :)

16. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    I read a PC preview on a local website a few weeks ago, saying that the controls (keyboard/mouse) were terrible.
    I'll wait for the demo.

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    if its co-op on the console ver will def get it for the ps3. looks a bit dull just as a sp...but hey thats just me.

18. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    Demo comes ouot for 360 before pc.

Heres to hoping it is not a horrible port!

I really liked the first two. Immense fun for me. Though never finished the 2nd.

Also if you preorder on steam you get 1 and 2 free to play now.

19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
  20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    That's nice. I'll download and try that tonight. :)

I tried the 360 demo last week. I signed up for a US LIVE account and downloaded it from there as the UK one wasn't available at the time.

I thought the game was a lot of fun and reminded a lot of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and its sequel which I loved on the original Xbox and played through to completion with a friend. The addiction comes from finding new and better equipment and upgrading your character. Visually the game is nothing special and the framerate on the 360 was somewhat erratic (no tearing though, thankfully) but they served the game well and are by no means ugly. As far as game design goes it is completely unoriginal but I didn't expect anything else; just a fun fantasy romp through varied landscapes and that seems to be what we'll get.

Looking forward to playing the full game next week... on the PC obviously. I intend playing a controller as it worked absolutely perfectly in the 360 demo but I'll try the mouse/keyboard to see if they work better.