Dumb question about amd hdmi audio.

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by nz3777, Feb 1, 2014.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Is there any benafit to run HDMI instead of Dual link DVI other then the added audio support? The problem iam faced with when I connect with HDMI is I lose my sound on account of the Optical cable iam using to connect to my SONY a/v receiver! Is there any way around this? My receiver dosent have HDMI input so I have no sound at all when I hook-up via HDMI. Thank you. Oh and my monitor is a Asus Ve247h 24 inch 1920x1080. 75 hz max refresh rate.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No difference in video quality between HDMI and DVI, but I find DVI much less effort to use as there is never a problem with scaling, HDMI & AMD GPUs have a habit of setting scaling wrongly in some games and it's a nightmare to set correctly sometimes as when you alt-tab out of the game to fix it, it goes back to the correct scaling for desktop

3. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    I use to think HDMI was preferable over DVI, but now I'm more for DVI.
    DVI (DVI-I & DVI-D) are 95% compatable with HDMI, so a DVI-I or DVI-D port can be connected to an HDMI port.
    HDMI uses HDCP for such things as copy protection and a lot more people have to agree on the improvement/upgrades to HDMI, compared to DVI.
    Personally I like to a dual link DVI-D cable, it's easier to go above 1920X1080 with digital DVI, then HDMI. (DVI-I can pass a digital & analog signal).