Duke Nukem Forever - Hail to the King Baby!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Dmented, Sep 3, 2010.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    yes but compaired to the original duke doesnt it seem nextgen ? thats what they were trying to show in the video.

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah I know. I've always just hated the term "next gen" in general.

3. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Notorious encryption?
    The fact that you can't export models and textures from the SDK is good.
    You can't make any "hi-res" texture packs with textures exported from the engine, since all texture are DXT compressed. That mind blowing Stalker mod comes to mind.... Someone thought that enlarging game's textures and applying a sharpen filter to them somehow makes them "high res" :D

And personally I wouldn't want people messing with my stuff. Using the stuff in their own levels is fine, but exporting and modifying is insulting and rude.

4. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    That wasn't the main point of the post, as how many UE3 games are actually released with an SDK? The games without an SDK don't allow any mods of packed content, weather it's made from scratch or not.

There were threads on the Bioshock boards running for months trying to get the thing cracked open to fix all of the left over console trash in the PC version. The closest anyone ever got was programming an app that could read the header of the packs to learn the file structure. Never seen anyone get closer than that with a UE3 game.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I said I'd keep this thread updated.... SO... here goes. Firstly, DNF was the cover story of the Holiday Issue of PC Gamer. It's a cool little article, but 2K stated no pictures taken during the preview.
    So PC Gamer hired a courtroom sketch artist to... well... sketch the preview. It gives the article a really cool, unique and original feel that really fits Duke. Not sure what the policy around here is for magazine scans (as at Gearbox, we don't allow it... I've already had to give out some warnings for it)... but I will post the cover...

[​IMG]

If somebody can give me some specifics on what this forum allows (scan wise) I can get some more images if wanted.

And secondly, a four page article is up at Maximum PC's website... PLUS...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks awesome. :)

EDIT: Also, last thing... the new season of the Jace Hall Show begin airing about four weeks ago. A new episode goes up every Friday on IGN. Well, giving the style of Jace's show... they've been doing little five second clips of DNF on each episode... mostly for fun.
    And "possibly" gearing towards a larger showing/announcement towards the end of the season. But... as Jace and several people from Gearbox/3DRealms have called it... I give you... "Pig Rape"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  6. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    xfx 5700xt 8gig
    I like the rain effects on that last picture. Games looks like it might make the light of day after all.

7. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    Damien, I almost peed on my pants of excitement. I really can't wait for this game. I hope it's released on steam.

8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    :)
    Glad to hear it. As of right now, it's to early to discuss specifics or release or if any forms of digital distribution will be used. But, be sure that once such details are decided upon and I'm allowed to say something... I will definitely spread the word around.

As I'm hoping the game will be a STEAMworks title.

9. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Got shivers through my spine when I saw that magazine, finally the Duke is back. Day one buy but if they gimped the game in anyway because of consoles such as low fov, no dedis or low resolution textures they better be prepared for the ultimate backlash never seen before of many years of bolted down anger.

10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    its not using Unreal3 engine, but Pixologic engine - Zbrush and its very sophisticated too, UE3 hides itself..

http://www.pixologic.com/home.php

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=330511&page=2&highlight=duke+nukem

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    As I've said earlier in this thread. 3DRealms (Triptych after 3DR closure in 2009) built DNF for PC's specifically.
    In the whole year in between 3DR's closure and Gearbox becoming involved, Triptych worked on finished DNF for PCs.

Piranha Games was hired to come in, port DNF to the 360 and PS3 and help with MP content.

The game we are getting on PC was built with PCs in mind. Designed around PC hardware and specifications. It's the console users that are getting a port this time.

12. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 OC (Core 216)
    The only game i want in 2011, it can't come sooner.

13. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
  14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    What? Why was that engine mentioned?

In regards to DNF, it's engine was built out of the Unreal Engine 2. But 3DRealms completely rewrote the majority of the code making it it's own tech. The engine behind DNF is, for lack of a better title, the DNF engine.

In regards to the fanbased DN3D remake. That is being built on the UE3 devkit as it's a free download to be used for a free product.

15. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, the fan based "Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded" is using the UES devkit.

DNF is using a highly modified version of the UE2. Basically it's own creation at this point as 3DRealms completely rewrote the rendering code, ripped out the physics engine and replaced it with Meqon Physics...
    And yes, 3DR did use ZBrush as well. But many engines use ZBrush on top of their own tech for added detail and depth to models/props/characters...

Joe (former 3DR) did tell me they used to call the engine "Duke's Tool" for fun, but never had an "official" title for the engine after they finished it.
    But, new videos of the Jace Hall Show have shown that DukeEd is in the folders...

17. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    First screens, no f*ing way... It looks way better than I've expected. Like ... ahem... a PC game. That's some relief alright) Also, it seems that those screens are DX9, I wonder what a promised DX11 support will add.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Glad people are pleased with what they've seen. :D

19. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    well whatever the engine is called it looks great! just hope it runs great ;)

20. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    The funny thing about that PC Gamer magizene is, someone in the school stole it from the library. So if you go to the library, it's replaced with a MISSING paper made out, and says please return with duke on the cover saying MISS ME?!