Dual slot card in BTX case?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by foosfoos, Aug 29, 2008.

1. foosfoos

foosfoos New Member

GPU:
    XFX/7950GTXXX/512
    My BTX case only has brackets for a single slot video card :cry: and I don;t want to be limited by this if I don't have to since almost 100% of performance graphics cards are dual slot. Could I cut holes in the back of my case and mount a dual slot card in one bracket? Note that BTX motherboards are "upside down" and this is why I only have one opening for a video card.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. foosfoos

foosfoos New Member

GPU:
    XFX/7950GTXXX/512
    The video card goes in the top slot, by the way.

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    It should be fine, it just takes up *generally* two of those PCI/PCI-e/expansion slots (even though they are individual it fits in).

4. gunman127

gunman127 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    You can easily remove the double slot back plate, saw it in half, file it smooth, and replace it.

Done it myself for some normal ATX builds, or just nick a single slot backplate off a dead single slot card.

5. foosfoos

foosfoos New Member

GPU:
    XFX/7950GTXXX/512
    Sawing it in half? With what sort of saw? I don't have access to many tools and I'm a tad clumsy.:chainsaw:
    My main concern is that the air that is supposed to blow out of the case will be blocked. Would this be an issue? I'm not familiar with graphics card airflow... Would one bracket be enough to support the card?
    Thanks everyone for being nice.

6. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Looking at the pic, you might run into a heatsink or power connector

7. foosfoos

foosfoos New Member

GPU:
    XFX/7950GTXXX/512
    Here's a picture of my motherboard... looking inside my case, I'm concerned that the card would hit the PS/2 ports (by letter J) because of the way cards are mounted in my case.
    [​IMG]

8. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    It looks like you may run into a problem with that PS/2 being so close. Is there anyway you could just change the motherboard out?

9. foosfoos

foosfoos New Member

GPU:
    XFX/7950GTXXX/512
    That's exactly the problem with my computer... I can't find any decent BTX motherboards and even if I did I would have to replace pretty much my entire system except for graphics and HDD, which I can't afford.
    Therefore.... Could I cut off the PS/2 ports somehow? Is this feasible? Or is it worth trying to take off the back plate of the card?

10. undermined

undermined Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 strix
    Man trying to modify that Dell or Gateway case to shoehorn in a dual slot card is not worth the trouble. The main power socket would be in the way also and if you are not confident that you can cut a dual slot card bracket how do you plan on cutting the case?

Also most Dual slot graphics are kinda long and the green cooling shroud over the CPU is the only way to cool the CPU and will most likely block a longer card.

Why not just grab a HD4850 and call it a day? I don't think the PSU will handly much more of a card either way.

Beyond that, consider getting a new case, PSU, HSF and motherboard and transfer over the cpu,ram, and drives. That way you can use whatever video card you want.

11. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    I agree. All you really need is a new case and motherboard. I wouldn't risk damaging the motherboard by cutting off those PS/2 ports. You could just settle for a single slot card.

12. foosfoos

foosfoos New Member

GPU:
    XFX/7950GTXXX/512
    Alright.. I guess I don't really have the cash to take any risks anyway. So I'll get a 4850 and overclock it to 4870 speeds X)
    If any one knows of any good BTX boards or really ANY AT ALL and where to get them it would be unimaginably appreciated!
    Thanks for replying!