Dual monitors on 8800GTS and 8600GT

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by subspacesignal, Apr 16, 2008.

1. subspacesignal

subspacesignal New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS 320 MB
    I am interested in the effects (positive or otherwise) of adding a second PCIE card to render video on my secondary monitor. This is the setup:

24" on 8800GTS 320 MB (overclocked to 625/860) @1920 x 1200
    22" on 8600GT 256 MB (underclocked to 420/400) @1680 x 1050

I game on the 24" (boring strategy games like EUIII), while watching star trek on the 22". With the current setup the GTS runs COD4 at top settings and Crysis DX10 on cheap v high perfectly. Everything rendered at native resolution.

I noticed the fact that both the latest stable and beta 174.74 drivers would not allow proper dual monitor setup in the nvidia control panel - extending the desktop in vista enables functionality but theres something fishy going on:

[​IMG]

Everest has the same problem (as does RivaTuner 2.08):

[​IMG]

Why is the monitor register doubled up like that?

Is there a benefit in running the second monitor off a second card?

Is the quality of video on the VW222 affected because it is on a VGA cable? Would it be any better if I was to use a transformer?

Thanks guys... Im new to the whole two monitor things, but it is so cool I want to learn more about the rendering dividionbetween cards and so on.

2. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    A transformer won't change the signal to improve quality, that's for sure. The double thing - if it works, does it matter? ;)
    Someone else probably have the answer for that.

There is indeed a benefit of running the second monitor on a second card; you will not suffer a performance loss because of it, as you would if you had 1 graphics card rendering on 2 screens, compared to 1 graphics card rendering on one.

And with that, I say goodnight. :)

Regards,
    Peezee.

3. shady86

shady86 Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 260 Sonic
    Why get another video card when a single card can support 2 monitors at the same time. I'm using a 22' at 1680x1050 and a 15' at 1024x768. How much is the perfomance penalty when running two displays instead of one?

4. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    There's actually a pretty big performance penalty, atleast it's easily felt.
    Anyway, I think he already has both cards, so it's fine.

5. subspacesignal

subspacesignal New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS 320 MB
    I do indeed have both cards, but would still like to understand the data streams involved better...