dual m.2 nvme on z170 question

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by wheeljack12, Dec 24, 2016.

1. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

I have a gigabyte z170x gaming k3 mb. It has one m.2 slot. It also has a pci-e 3.0 x4 slot. What I was wondering is this: Can you raid two of the same nvme ssd's with one on a m.2 slot and a m.2 with pci-e 3.0 x4 on a 3rd party aic on the same motherboard? Please help.

2. waldojr

waldojr Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 SUPER
    From manual.
    8) M2A_32G (M.2 Socket 3 Connector) The M.2 connector supports M.2 SATA SSDs and M.2 PCIe SSDs and support RAID configuration through the IntelĀ® Chipset. Please note that an M.2 PCIe SSD cannot be used to create a RAID set either with an M.2 SATA SSD or a SATA hard drive. To create a RAID array with an M.2 PCIe SSD, you must set up the configuration in UEFI BIOS mode. Refer to Chapter 3, "Configuring a RAID Set," for instructions on configuring a RAID array.

Best guess is it looks like a "Yes" to your question. From what I am reading no one recommends its and I have not found anything on a successful setup with your MB. Personally, I would try it just for ****s and giggles. I just got a MSI z270 titanium MB and am putting in 3 OCZ RD400 256GB, 2 as m.2 and one in pci slot on a raid. More power argh! argh! argh!