dual core or dx10card?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by W@w@Y, Feb 17, 2007.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    please see my specs to the left

<--------------------

anyway, im thinking of getting the 8600GT or the 8900GS when released, but im also thinking of replacing my A64 with an x2,(instead of getting a new videocard) possibly a 3800x2 or a 4200x2 if budget permits (optys are a no go as they are impossible to find where i live :()

i will add another gig of ram for sure

so the question is, if im to upgrade to vista, which is a better upgrade for me? an x2 or a dx10card?

no AM2 or core2duo suggestions please, i want to keep the upgrade as minimal (cost-wise) as possible thus im only left with the 2 options plus the extra gig of RAM

thanks

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  2. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Go dual core before you go Direct X 10.

3. dipz

dipz Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900GTO @ GTX BIOS (7001500) VM
    I agree, No point buying an expensive GPU if it's going to be let down by the cpu, but if you can sell the 7600GT now, the 8600GT should cost roughly the same price when the 7600GT was first released released (I HATE DEPRECIATION :\

4. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Ya seriously, most new games have dual-core optimizations and you don't want to be held back by your cpu. I didn't really expect much of a difference when I went dual-core a week ago but I gotta say it was night and day to me. You're a little held back by your gpu so I can't say the same will be felt by the upgrade instantly but you might as well be ready.

5. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Get a new DX10 Card, it will make a huge diffrence. youll see no diffrence in games if you just upgrade to a dual core. just trust me on this cos your gonna get people saying "you're cpu will bottleneck this and bottleneck that" but the truth is youll be able to crank up everything on high with any DX9 game that comes out ( im not sure about DX10 as nobody knows how these cards are gonna perform using it ) but you could always skip the Dual core cpus and save for the Quad core's which should be cheap by the end of this year.

Like i said just get the Graphics card :)

Im getting a 8800GTS or 8900GTS in a few weeks, then im upgrading my cpu mobo and ram to Intel dual/quad core in sept.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  6. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    I would go for the X2 3800+, because it saves money compared to a X2 4200+ and the X2 3800+ oc's like hell. :)

7. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    That's a lie or you're misinformed. I agree, a midrange dx10 card will show a bigger increase in frames in his system because the 7600gt is getting outdated fast. The thing is, the cards he wants aren't going to be out for a while. Hence, my recommendation to go dual-core and be ready for it. Unless he only has x amount to spend in the next few months I would say to wait for the dx10 cards. If he can spend some now, some later get both. My old proc was an opty 144 @ 2.8ghz. I keep giving the same example but this is proof. In oblivion city sections with alot of characters on screen my frames went from 9-12 up to 25-30 with this new proc, and that is not even a truly threaded engine. When the real dual core games hit you are going to NEED a dual core chip.

8. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Well i would strongly recommend getting the fastest proc you could possibly afford. Rather than a high end GPU.

Recently i had x1950xtx (sold now) and with the processor that i have the bottleneck was Truly awesome, trust me:hit:. Normally when people go "Oh its a bottleneck" i used to just ignore it, but seeing how bad it can be first hand has changed my opinion. Now the card you would like is even more powerful than my ATI was and your proc is slightly below mine.! Do you see what im getting at here? Please believe me when i say BOTTLENECK, major BOTTLENECK. Unless you game at a rez of like 1,920 x 1,200 (which would still only be 'damage control') i wouldnt do it just yet...

A: Get a fast processor now instead. :) (its worth it)

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    faster processor and 2gigs ram :) i had 4000+ and 1gig ram b4. Gothic 3 was unplayable with frames between 5 to 10 now its around 30ish same for oblivion few games that arent so cpu/memory intensive didnt get much of a boost but everything is smoother. and ofc i can extract stuff alot fast XD

10. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    just to clear thing with the dual core, on apps that dont take advantage of dual core cpus, will i get a slower performance on a 3800 X2 compared to my 3000+ oced to 3800+ speeds? coz as i understand it, the 3800x2 is like having 2 1900+ procs working together as 3800+?

so on apps that dont use the extra core, at what speeds will a 3800+ be performing at?

anyway, heres the plan..

im leaning towards getting a midrange dx10 card (possibly an 8600GT) since i want to get one from evfa, BFG or XFX and these brands arent available in the stores where i live ( the widely available brands for nvidia here are inno3d and palit and well....palit and inno3d) and the only chance i can get one is through my uncle who will be in the states this april/may (how i got my evga 7600GT last year too) ..if i get the dx10card though, i will upgrade to a 3800x2 or 4200x2 by september or MIGHT go for an entire CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade if budget allows..

if, however, i choose to upgrade to an x2 3800+ now, then ill be able to upgrade to a dx10 card would be by the 2nd half of the year (and ill get the crappy palit or inno3d since my uncle would be returning t0 the philippines by may) and by then im not even sure if the dx10 cards will be available here (the 7600GTs became widely available here only last aug2006)

so i guess ill get the 8600GT first..so im going to rephrase my question to..

1. Since an A64 3000+(even at 3800+ speeds) will surely bottleneck an 8600GT, does this bottleneck mean i wont notice an increase in fps from my 7600GT or will i still get an increase in fps though not by as much as I should get with a more powerful CPU?

2. Im guessing the 8600GTs will be equal in performance to a 7900GT/GTX is this assumption more or less accurate? if so, has anyone used a 3800+ (single core) with a 7900GTX here? and by how much is the performance hampered as compared to a 7900GTX on an X@ or C2D?

11. sh0x

sh0x New Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 7950GT 256MB
    Go Dualcore and wait till 2nd gen dx10 cards are out

12. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Well given your situation i guess you should get the 8600GT (i wasn't aware they were even out yet?)

1. Well the last bit of your question you are correct, your card wont be able to stretch its legs as it would in say i high end C2D system. BUT, having said that you will be able to bump up the eye candy and crank up the rez (as far as you can) and still get better fps than your 7600 can/could. So it will still be nice for gaming, and therefore worth the money.
    but i wouldn't bother with benchmarking though. (as i found out with my x1950xtx).bottleneck.

2. its hard to say if the 8600GT will be as good/better than the 7900GTX right now because no one has been able to compare it yet. (properly)

I dont have a 3800+ i got a 3500+ @2.4 as you can see, but they are pretty similar. I used to have a x1950xtx (for like a few days lol) which is a more powerful card than the 7900GTX, and to answer the last bit of no.2 . The difference (based on benchies off the forum) were mind boggling unfortunately. My scores were pitiful m8 compared to others. as for fps, i didn't have much chance to check. But it wasn't great, not what i expected tbh. IQ was fantastic though, ATI FTW lol:dave:

At the end of the day, the 8600GT will be DX10 and considerably faster than your 7600GT. And it will only get stronger as you upgrade in the future (proc). so i cant really see how you lose here. except your money obviously hehe;)

Good luck man:)

13. atomicskis5

atomicskis5 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi 4850
    Naw, def go dualcore before new gpu. I had the same decision last week, and got an opty 165(waiting for my dfi to do a real oc) for 160 shipped. Once i put an oc on this baby, it will fly, so i would get the 3800+ and oc it to about 2.5ish. You will see some improvement. Once prices begin to go down(when r600 and g81 come out) buy a 8800gts, which should be no more than 200 for the 320mb and 250 for the 640 mb.

14. KiM6800GS

KiM6800GS Master Guru

just as i thought, you're a fil.. :D

anyway, getting the proc now would be a more viable solution to your prob. i mean by mid '07 R600 should be out and prices would surely change. If ATI proves to be a better solution that their green counterparts then the 8600's would go down on price thus saving you more money.

and if you're not really be gaming on very high resolutions(1600 x XXX or even 1920x1200), 8600 would be put to waste IMO.

PS: yeah, it's hard to get EVGA/XFX here in the philippines. some of the few brands people know here are palit, inno3d, sparkle, gecube and sapphire T_T I can't even find online stores that delivers to the philippines.. T_T

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  15. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Dual core, so the cpu can manage processes in vista better.

16. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    thanks for the replies gurus..:D

so as you guys are saying ill get hihger fps in games if i with an x2 3800+ and a 7600GT over my current proc and an 8600GT? or are you just saying i would still get higher fps if i get an 8600GT but that i just wouldnt be able to harness 100% of its power?

ill try to sell my proc at the local online buy and sell site and see if i can get a good deal out of this :)

and if i cant, then ill get that dx10 card, and hopefully get a C2D or AMD's answer toward the end of the year

anyway, im looking at an opteron, if i can get one at all, and if i ugrade to an opty165 and oc it..

1. by how much can i oc it on air, stock cooling?
    2. at this max OC that i may be able to achieve, how far behind is it against a C2d e6600/6400/6300?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  17. Zulithe

Zulithe New Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX570 SC 1280MB
    To help put it in perspective a bit more, check out my specs on the left. Okay, in Vista my processor has a Windows Experience Index of 5.2, while my Gfx card has a 5.9. When i was building this PC I regret that I didn't fully research just how important a CPU is to my overall build, and while I am still pleased with my 5200+ I wasn't expecting it to be the bottleneck. Wrong! Just be aware of how important it is.

18. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    We mean the latter. It's good to build a system on solid foundations ( fast CPU ). Yes an 8600Ultra will give you 100% better frame rates, but it needs more than a 3000+ to get all the FPS juices out of it. As for your question about overclocking an opty165, I'd assume around 2.5-2.8ghz is probably a pretty standard overclock ( but need some real experiences in here ). Where as the E6xxx series tend to get a superior overclock. When I had an x2 3800+ clocked at 2.5ghz, it was still behind my E6400 at stock settings ( 2.13ghz ), and I believe the opty165 is the opty version of the x2 3800+. If that's any help.

19. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    ahh if thats the case, id have to wait for much later before i upgrade my proc then (so ill have more money to get a C2D or AMDs anti-C2D) and get the cheaper 8600GT first...

that way, i can get the evga or xfx8600GT and just endure the bottleneck till august/september :D

20. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Maha Guru

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    Nooo dont, get the proccesor first, you are more behind in CPU department than in the GFX department. It's like owning an old car, you want to add a body kit and paintjob and nice wheels before you restore the engine.

I would defo defo defo DEFO buy the proccesor first.

Just my 2p :dave: