Dual channel on my P5N-E SLi with Corsair memory.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Phoenix_Inferno, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Phoenix_Inferno

Phoenix_Inferno Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    Ive been having some problems with getting dual channel to work on this motherboard. Ive read about issues with the second yellow slot on this motherboard, but i cant even get dual channel running in the black slots.

Then i read something about the mem possibly not getting enough voltage?

Im using Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 2x1gb (c4 version) and i think theyre supposed to run on a higher voltage than the default one, but im not sure.

I havent touched hardware in a few years so im a bit out of it lol >.>;;

Oh and by the dual channel not working, i mean sometimes it wont even get past the welcome screen in vista or it crashes soon after. If i run it in the yellow slots, i can get into windows, but i usually crash in a few minutes. Memtest also gives me errors up the ass continuously when i have the memory setup in the yellow slots.

With the black slots, i get to the lil round windows icon before the welcome screen but then it just freezes there.

Right now im running single channel with the memory in slots A1 and B1 (yellow1 and black1) and i get no errors at all in memtest after 300% coverage.

2. Lordbollo

Lordbollo Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Lightning
    I have the same ram as you and it is supposed to run at 2.1 volts, so I would change the voltage in the bios to that. I had stability problems with my mobo (P5N32-E) till i did that, thought that with the epp timmings etc would set the voltage automaticially but it didn't.
    *edit*
    Also I manually forced the 4-4-4-12 timings in the bios as it defaulted to 5-5-5-15.

3. Phoenix_Inferno

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    Well... still doesnt work.

First time around, i tried it in yellow slots, 2.087v, normal timings. It went pretty well, mem test showed no errors, but then at 5% it suddenly crashed.

Second time around, same slots, 2.187v with the 4 4 4 12 timings. Had three errors in the beginning, then it went well again until around 10% where i BSOD'd.

Third time around, black slots, same settings. Continuous errors from memtest and a swift crash before 1 %.

I give up...

4. Lordbollo

Lordbollo Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Lightning
    You might have a borked board then, are you overclocking the board if you are you may need to raise other voltages, If you arn't overclocking you could try flashing the bios to the latest version if that doesn't work if I was you I would rma the board. Do you have a mate's computer you could thest the ram in just to make sure.

5. Phoenix_Inferno

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    I thought it was a bad board too, but it seems to be a problem with all P5N-E SLi motherboards :| So even if i RMA'ed, id probably end up with a board with a similar if not identical problem.

Nothing else is OCed at all in this PC :\

Oh and, nope, i dont have any friends with PCs that can take DDR2 :\ Atleast none that would let me touch their PCs lol (they all have prebuilts with warranties)

6. Lordbollo

Lordbollo Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980Ti Lightning
    Have you got the latest bios installed. Other than that all I can say is that you should rma the board as you may get one that works you may not, other than that not much else you can do cept get another motherboard with a diff chipset, eg a p965 or p35 based mobo or try the 680i based mobos.

7. Phoenix_Inferno

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    Yea not sure if i have the newest bios.. going on vacation soon though, so ill do all that stuff after im back.

Thanks for your help man.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please post as well.

8. anwaypasible

anwaypasible Banned

GPU:
    evga / 7900 GTO / 512mb @ 676/1554
    i set trc to 22 and turned off the special sli option in the bios with just one stick.. rebooted and put the other stick in and its fine

i spent lots of pc downtime because i didnt know the above info

(i havent ran memtest but the system is up and stable)

you have to disable the special sli option in the bios for the ram to stop acting up

i dont remember if i got this info directly from corsair or asus.. but it was one of the two

if the special sli option in the bios doesnt fix anything for you try asking for help over at the corsair official forum

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=128

9. Phoenix_Inferno

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    I already have that off i think :(

It was an option under the jumper free config menu right? :|

10. anwaypasible

anwaypasible Banned

GPU:
    evga / 7900 GTO / 512mb @ 676/1554
    i couldnt tell you without restarting lol

11. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX 970 4GB
    The latest BIOS update includes some more memory compatibility fixes so I suggest that you get the latest BIOS.

12. Phoenix_Inferno

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    ooh, thanks

More to add to my to-do list for when im back from vacation then.

13. JayMaster

JayMaster New Member

i have the exact same problem as you.

maybe the mobo is just incompatible with this memory chips......