Dual 8800 GTX SLI and upgrading to GTX 295 ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Wheaties23, Feb 25, 2009.

1. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    8800GTX SLI is a little more faster than the GTX280 especially at higher resolutions but thats in SLI mode, but if you play games that doesnt run SLI well or doesnt support SLI then the 280 will be far superior. Thats like saying having two mid-grade engine vs one high-grade engine, of course the two will win but when one is turned off then the other one will be faster. Having a single card will also reduce the temperature by a lot and later on you can opt for another GTX280 for SLI.

2. Wheaties23

Wheaties23 New Member

GPU:
    2 eVGA 8800 GTX 768 MB
    Yeah that's kind of what I figured , I game with a 23" monitor 1080P , I just don't like the 2 cramming up all that space and running super hot in there.As long as I get at least the same fps in games at 1080P it will be fine.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you can gain a free upgrade by overclocking your cpu and video cards. nothing on my system is running at stock clocks

4. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
    I just upgraded to a GTX285 and it does roughly 90% of what my 8800GTX's in SLI did. It wasn't an upgrade, actually a downgrade to some degree. The 8800's did run really hot compared to my 285 though. So in terms of a 280, you'd definately be losing some performance overall.

5. Unstable_Hero

Unstable_Hero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    i was actually talking about the brand new 2gb 285gtx from palit

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega

Is that in benchmarks or in gaming too? I moved from 8800 gtx sli to gtx 280 (slower than a gtx 285) and didn't have any regrets. I found the gtx 280 to generally have higher minmum fps in games, especially with aa enabled, which translated to a much smoother gaming experience at my monitor's native resolution of 1920x1200.

I even made a thread comparing them both in various games and benchmarks. The overclocked gtx 280 results are about what to expect from a gtx 285, the 8800GTX sli was also overclocked.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=267417

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  7. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Leaps beyond the 4870 x2 ? I dont think so. The GTX295 is nothing new just two cut down gtx280 slapped together. The true potential of the 4870 x2 is not realized because of its drivers. Also gamehouses and Nvidia are in bed together so games are optimized for their cards and drivers. But GTX295 is not new tech and leaps beyond 4870 x2 it aint.

8. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Compare a 4870 vs a 280, there is a clear difference in performance potential between the two cards. The GTX 295 is the fastest card in the world right now, accept it. This is why they are selling out like hot plates all over the US and International retailers. $500 for higher than 2x 55nm GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI performance is really a good deal; I don't see how NVIDIA could price it any differently considering 285's range around $400 and a single GTX 260 55nm will run you $240-$260, so the 295 really is at a perfect price range.

Show me another single card that run Crysis Warhead max settings with 2xAA @1920x1200 and avg 40fps (minimum 25fps) with a sub $200 CPU (E8500@4.0ghz).

9. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    ^^ Crysis is optimized for Nvidia card and you just comparing it to just the one game. Yes the GTX295 is fastest gaming wise. But the point is im trying to say is that compared to eachother there is no leaps and bounds or any of the new tech. I will be back with Nvidia on my next build cause i miss nhancer. Will wait for dx 11 card

10. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    while I agree with you mac that a lot of developers are bed buddies with the big N, I don't think that makes much of a difference. Yeah, the GTX 295 is just two 280's slapped together, but the same can be said about the 4870X2, it's just two 4870 slapped onto the same board. I'll also say that I do agree that to an extent it's ATI's drivers that are holding the card back, but that's not totally the case, hardware architecture has to be a factor in here too. Cause if that was the case then the GTX260/280 would be able to beat out a single 4870 in most cases, but in most games a 4870 1GB outshines those cards.

11. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I would recommend going with EVGA if you plan to over clock because they support it and they support aftermarket cooling as long as you don't damage the card during installation.

12. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    what benchmarks and what site have you been looking at?

13. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    right here on this very site...

Maybe not so much the 280. But in most the bench marks the 4870 was either neck and neck with the 260 or surpassed it (except Crysis and GRAW2 of course)

Regardless, my point was that drivers are only half the equation. IMO Nvidia's architecture is superior to that of ATI's. hence the reason their cards usually tend to dominate. It's not all favoritism from developers.