DTS Vs. dolby Digital

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by YurAnus, Mar 6, 2006.

1. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    I was searching through my dvds and found one that had dts on it. I put it in to see if there was a diff between it and DD. I am not sure wich one is better. I put my amp on dts neo 6 decoding and it sounded great but still not sure which one is better. any of you know what the huge diff are or prefere one over the other?

2. Crystallas

Crystallas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280
    Its a prefrence. You can argue about which is best allday long, but it will ultimately fall on the source and the setup.
    Dolby has such a large share in movies, your going to find that dolby ends up being the winner, but when DTS is all right, its actually better. Ive heard a few dolby HD recordings, and they are the best sofar, but I still like true DTS over Dolby Digital EX.

3. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

DTS is better,

but i hate how you need to by a dts decoder in most cases...

4. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    I was doing some research and from what I read the data in dobly digital is compresed more than dts.

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    IT's a general concensus that DTS is superior technology. BUT, Dolby Digital AC-3 is the Dominant technology. AS to whcih truly sound better abd has better imaging I guess you have to take the Pepsi Challenge on that one..

6. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

theres no sugar! :D

7. dboniuk

dboniuk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4096MB
    I find that DTS gives an enhanced music soundtrack, but I also find that it tends to be overbearing compared to the dialog. I find Dolby a bit more balanced. I think in general, in an actual Large theater setting, DTS is superior. I find that in my living room, Dolby gives a better result.

Like everyone else says, it is personal preference.

DJB

8. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    Generally speaking, DTS soundtracks are encoded at a significantly higher bitrate than Dolby Digital soundtracks, thus taking up much more disc space. Both offer discrete 5.1 channels surround, DTS can provide 6.1 discrete though (DTS-ES), whereas Dolby Digital can only do a matrixed 6.1 surround effect (Dolby Digital EX).

Most Dolby Digital soundtracks are encoded around 400kbps, most DTS sountracks are closer to 800kbps and some are encoded at 1500kbps!

A good example of one of these full bitrate DTS DVDs is the region 1 of "Twister."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  9. Toji

Toji Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT 256MB
    I don't think is really the format, but the actual encoding of the audio track.

Some movies have better soundtracks than others. All three Lord Of the Rings DVDs have really good Dolby Digital ( Don't own extended cut that has DTS) Track that are on par to some good DTS tracks I have heard. However there are lots of movies with poorly encoded AC3 tracks. The DTS tracks of the special editions of those movies include DTC tracks are closer to the original production, which stands out from Dolby AC3 that may actualy have been converted from a downsampled source.

Two examples of DVD movies with with great Dolby Digital Sound:

All three Lord of The Rings: AC3 at is finest. It proves that with good encoding, Dolby is on par with DTS.

House Of Flying Daggers: Those who think Dolby Dital lack dynamic range in rear channels will be proven wrong with this movie provied that their Home Theater is setup properly. (The drum sceen is awesome, it displays just how dynamic a 3D sound space Dolby Digital can make)

DTS tracks also tend to be slightly louder than Dolby which gives the impression that it's better. But as I mentioned eailer, that is a encoding issue, not a format issue.

10. dagabs

dagabs Member

GPU:
    Asus 6800GT 128Mb 420/880
    Yeh i got LOTR Trilogy. I found the DTS sounds clear, and I can hear specific effects from each speaker, and Dolby sounds are more mixed.

But I found DTS to be annoying. When there is alot of sounds, such as an action scene with music it sounds great, then a I have to up the volume when there is a quiet scene with dialogue, and then BAM its loud again in the next scene, so down the volume we go. So I stuck with Dolby. It could be my amp not decoding DTS correctly.

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    DTS is supposed to be the better technology, but Dolby digital is more prevalent. Almost every DVD out there has Dolby digital soundtrack...not too many have DTS though. AGin how many systems can decode DTS? PC wise?

12. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    DTS is what theaters use. It is far better. Sound seems crisper. Dolby Digital was more intended for home use and is more compressed.

Dolby Digital will be coming out with a new codec called Dolby TrueHD. It will be on Bluray and HD-DVD discs and feature 8ch sound up to 18mb/s.
    DTS-HD Master Audio will compete with Dolby TrueHD though is rumored to still be technically superior.

13. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    A lot of sound cards can decode DTS, but the vast majority of HTPC users pass both DD and DTS straight through to their A/V receiver, which does the decoding. aka SPDIF pass through.

The DTS and Dolby Digital tracks on DVDs and laserdiscs are different than the DTS or DD track you hear in theaters.

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I know I was just making a point that alot more PC's are equipped to handle Dolby digtal than DTS..indeed most PC's can do Dolby digital with just onboard-won't be very high quality but still there...you usually need a addin PCI card to get DTS decoding...but you can use pass through...your DVD software will read it and pass it on to your SPDIF out...

15. pooshda

pooshda Member Guru

GPU:
    Saphire X1900XTX w/ MCW60 h20
    I prefer DTS, but I have no problem with Dolby Digital either... It is a lot of preference as mentioned above. Either way they both deliver and enjoyable experience but DTS definately has the edge in my opinion and I will always go for the most lossless format... Speaking of DTS, if you have a really good sound system you should give a DTS Audio Music disc a listen sometime, a good one would be Santana, even if you do not like the music you will definately appreciate the sound quality.. its superb. But naturally it's all dependent on the original recording... reguardless of what format it is delivered in.

16. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    DTS Audio is pretty cool. Selection is pretty limited, as are titles that we'd probably want. Here is the full catalogue.

http://www.dts.com/entertainment/catalogue/music.php

Some of these discs are DTS-ES and many also include a DVD-A track as well. Pretty cool stuff. Personally I own the Crystal Method Legion of Boom, which is DTS-ES and DVD-A. I have a handful of DVD-A discs as well. The only format I cannot play though my HTPC is SACD.

For DVD-A, using the Audigy2 ZS sound card and provided player, the sound quality is truly amazing, but you must use the analog outs of the sound card for DVD-A, which can be annoying especially if you use "big boy" speakers hooked up to an AV receiver for your HTPC setup. Switching back and forth between analog out and digital pass though gets tiresome just to listen to a music disc, plus having to have "computer speakers" stinks.

So, in many ways the DTS Audio is much more convienent, since you can output digitally, but I do not think the DTS Audio tracks sound as good as DVD-A in general. In the end, SACD and DVD-A are fad formats, DTS Audio has the potential to do a little better due to its compatibilty with current DVD players and AV receivers.

17. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    i watched a DTS war film at my mates house and OMG it blew me away, i think the film was We were Soldiers, at the begining it shows a french convoy coming along a dirt track with trees and bushes around them, the french leader halts the convoy while he looks at his map, its all goes really quiet then CRACK a sniper whacks him in the neck and the sound is unbelieveable, his setup was 4 large floor standers, 2 centre speakers ( Front and rear) a dirty big sub, and a Yamaha DTS decoder. He paid less than £1000 for his whole setup because he just bought last years top of the range.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Your absoulutley CORRECT, DTS is supposed to be the Better of the two technologies offereing better positional and better overall dynamics. UNfortunatley it seems to be going the way of Beta Tapes-meaing it is the better technology but people aren't buying it, they are getting the Dolby Digital instead. It seems to be on the most DVD's.

19. CleavesF

CleavesF Master Guru

GPU:
    Connect3d x800 GTO biosed 16 pipes
    Lots of people also think DTS is better since at the same volume level, DTS is natural louder than AC3.

Personally DTS is usually only really worthwhile in action movies. Everything can be AC3, honestly it doesn't really affect the experience much. the DTS track on the SE of Gladiator is very well done, as well as the DTS track on Domino.

A really good AC3 track is on Underworld. Surprisingly DTS like for an action movie.

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I am just unsure why DVD's don't use DTS more for their movies, again I guess it's becuase it's not widley accepted for sound systems. I think the industry kinda decided on Dolby Digital for whatever reason. ANothe example of the lesser of two technologies winning out..