DSR is causing everything to look red

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by EeK, May 9, 2019.

1. EeK

EeK Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 10
    I've been playing Blur (2010 game) on PC without any issues.

Because it's a rather old game and I have some headroom (my GPU is barely hitting 30% usage in 4K, with a locked 60 fps), I tried enabling DSR under NVCP in order to play at higher resolutions.

I went with 2x and 4x factors, with 0% smoothness (as I've used before in games like Rez). Both new resolutions appear in the game's options screen and can be selected, but, when doing so, everything becomes red. Not a full blown red screen of death, but it's like red is the only color in the RGB spectrum.

Any ideas? The game is running in full screen.

System: i7-7700K, 32GB RAM, 1080 Ti (425.11), Win 10 (1809)
    Display: LG OLED B7 (3840x2160 native res)

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    and does this occur with other games?

3. EeK

EeK Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 10
    I tested with some other modern titles, but none of them were showing the custom resolutions in-game. So I installed Rez Infinite again, as I knew it was working with DSR before, and the same issue happened.

At first, I thought it had something to do with the drivers. Then, I realized I had changed my video settings since playing Rez, in order to benefit from HDR in games that supported it.

I believe that due to HDMI bandwidth limitations, my setup couldn't handle resolutions higher than 4K with YCbCr422 and YCbCr420 color formats and 10- or 12-bit color depth.

It was only after changing to RGB or YCbCr444 and 8-bit that I was able to run both Rez Infinite and Blur in 8K without any color issues. So, it's an HDMI 2.0 limitation.

Astyanax likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    bandwidth should have nothing to do with it, your screen receives its native resolution, the driver super sampling is downscaled before sending it.

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    If you run 4K on the output (irrespective of DSR), Bandwidth might as well be a limiting factor. You cannot run 4K, 60Hz, RGB, 10/12-bit over HDMI 2.0, for example. The bandwidth is not there. You have to reduce some of those factors.
    So its certainly possible this was a problem.

6. Steve30x

Steve30x Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 OC
    Why not create your own custom resolution? It only takes a few seconds and its dead easy to do

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Even if bandwidth were not an issue (ie, HDMI 2.1), DSR on 4k will never look better than its native res. You will just be smudging up an already razor sharp resolution.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    at 4k you turn smoothing off, then dsr is just super sampling.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yeah no that's factually wrong. Aliasing doesn't magically disappear at 4k.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Not talking about aliasing (although it is far less noticeable or bothersome @ 4k than 1080p, unless you are arguing otherwise). DSR for lower res displays (1080p) makes sense, which is/was its intended purpose. Applying it on UHD displays is like trying to extract blood from a stone. The diminished returns will be so exceedingly small as to make it virtually pointless, if not potentially reducing IQ by cramming additional pixels downsampled onto an 8,294,400 pixel display then applying gausian filters to smooth out the results. About as pointless a endeavor as I can think of on a 4k display.