DSLR Backpack Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Rumpus01, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    I just got a Nikon D3100. I am a paranoid one and don't like leaving my expensive devices at home, so I'm looking for a backpack that accommodates DSLR cameras.

I will use this backpack for school so room for a water bottle, laptop, and various accessories are a must. I basically want a regular backpack that incorporates a DSLR.

A bit picky but figured I'd see what people suggest.

Thanks.

2. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
  3. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  4. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Thanks for the replies.

Uncle Dude, you nailed it. They seem to have a nice selection of backpacks with laptop compartments.

5. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    :thumbup:

My brother just got one of the sport/hiking models and loves it. Check Amazon, bhphotovideo.com, or adorama.com for your best price.

6. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    i was about to recommend the FlipSide from LowePro, but after reading your requirements im afraid that would be too small for your application.. :(

7. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    No worries.

I think I'm going with the Fastpack 250.

It has room for laptop, DSLR, accessories, and water bottle. Boom. Plus I like the easy access to the camera compartment. Clever design. Not a terrible price either.

Wow just checked the price on Amazon... almost half the price on their website.

Thanks again!

8. Stephan.nl

Stephan.nl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    I've gone with Hadley for my camera bag, it's a perfect bag in my eyes! Main thing is that it doesn't even look like it's a camera bag which was one of my key requirements.

9. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I no longer bother looking elsewhere for my camera backpacks:
    http://fstopgear.com/

I've used Lowepro before, mine sits untouched on a shelf collecting dust now. F Stop backpacks are actually backpacks, not storage boxes for cameras with straps stitched on to them. They're expensive, yes. But they are worth every penny if you value your back and shoulders.

Check out The Millar series for a school-bag, they're cheaper and more suited for the task than the Mountain series. And they fit your requirements perfectly.

You have a 45-day no quibbles return policy if you don't like the bag, and a 20 year warranty.

10. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Which bag do you have collecting dust? If it's a backpack version, want to sell it for cheap? haha.

Thanks for the tip, i'll check them out.

If I was a professional, I would purchase an F-stop bag. They are pretty pricy though, and I am just getting started with photography so I think the lowerpro fastpack 250 fits the budget and needs.

The blackbox multi-pack looks so quality though...

PS: Lowerpro has a lifetime warranty as well.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

11. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    As it turns out, the bag that is collecting dust that I'm going to sell at some point is a fastpack 350 ;)

One thing I have really learned well is to not skimp on bags. They can make the whole experience of going on a trip horrible, or great. And whether or not you are comfortable doesn't depend on you being a pro or not :)
    But you know your wallet best of course, and the lowepro's are good value.

12. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB

Yes I suppose you're right. I think the Fastpack 250 is comfortable enough though... It has wonderful reviews and no one really complains about the comfort too much. I just don't know how intense I'm going to get with photography, so I'm not sure if the extra money for a luxury bag.

I think the comfort depends on the amount of weight you have too. I don't even have that much gear yet, so my bag won't be that heavy, especially if I don't need my laptop while I'm out shooting.