DRM makes Spore most pirated game ever

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    yes yes, I will just stop. Everybody who has games on PC today have bought it. They just use the option of free down loadable games to get around problems with copy protection, DRM and get cracks for removal of those tools or no cd whatever.

My apologies for thinking humanity could be so dishonest by exploiting the option of free down loadable games. My bad.

Are you so blind you can not see that as long as the option with free down loadable games exists, it causes more harm than good ? As long as it is there, it will be used against all customers.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  2. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Whatever happened to the good ol' days of getting a game for 20$ and installing it once and never having to use the CD?

I'm having to deal with Nero now because I've installed my legit copy to many times on my media center! It is this sh** that makes me want to download a crack. I'm sick of these damn companies being so anal I have to purchase a copy per one of MY computers - no way.

Nevertheless, this pirating doesn't do anyone good in the long run. Companies are just going to spend more money to save money (subsequently creating more bugs); and more cases will continue going to the government putting piraters in jail with fines; and more laws will come out and likely the FBI and other agencies will be able to more easily track internet traffic by IP and see what is going on. I believe the end result of this battle has us - computer users - on the losing side.

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    EA screwed the hardcore gamers with Mass Effect DRM, looks like they've finally gone too far by introducing casual gamers to piracy.

I say good thing and they should learn from it, if they cant understand how to base a business model around PC gaming( if a game has decent online play and needs a key online then what more antipiracy is needed? ) then they should just stick to consoles

Im fed up with the whole DRM, the activation limit is absolutely crazy, having to resort to cracks just to play your legit copy is no more than paying full price for a rental product

4. nodo

nodo Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT260
    How about a new business model for ea.
    They should stop selling their games and open up a "EA Interactive amusement park of ****ty games".

You go there, pay 50 bucks, play for 10 minutes and go home. If you eventually want to play again for another 10 minutes you get a $2 discount. Wooohoooo!

In you face damn terrorist pirates ! best DRM ever. Think about it EA.

5. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    Thats's what I decided on. I thought hard about actually downloading it & said F-it, let EA go down in flames without my help.

Damn EA, you guys are about to loose $50,000,000 in profit. Sux.

6. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I would never steel a game, but I did buy spore, well its for my sons Bday on saturday.
    The whole DRM thing has made me find and DL the no CD crack and CDkey so i dont have to worrie with the 3 install crap.(im not sure this makes me a pirate sence i do own the game)

It looks like this type of thing only effects the legit buyer and the PIE RATS have nothing to fear right now.
    I can see this leading to a free CD, but you pay to activate it threw their site, this will be coming soon im afraid, but It would be a good thing IMO, sence i buy my games any way.

7. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I understand what you are trying to say, but where in the entire article does it use the term "boycott"?

The reason that person said "to give corporate bastards a virtual punch in the face" has nothing to do with boycotting the game.

Boycotting the game would, of course, mean not playing the game at all. However, the point of downloading Spore was to show that DRM does not work, not that the game was bad.

It is a slap in the face because EA spent A LOT of money on implementing secureROM to prevent piracy so they could make more $$$, and it was EASILY cracked.

I am not saying that piracy is good. I actually think piracy is very bad, and really does hurt the game industry.

I also do not want to imply that pirating Spore made a better point than not buying Spore. I just don't think that people wanted to boycott the game, they wanted to play the game without DRM. If anything, you could say they wanted to boycott DRM, but in the case, if they REALLY wanted to play the game, it would be "more of a boycott" (whatever that means) to download and crack it then to not buy it.

This is wrong.

Yes, some people download games because they are free, but I know several people that:
    a.) download a game, like it, then buy it
    b.) people that download a game, didn't like it, and then never bought it. However, they also deleted the torrent from their computer and never played the game again.

I really have nothing against "try before buy" as long as the person buys the game if they like it. Every game should have a free demo, and if there is not a demo, I will usually not buy the game unless reviews are very good.

I also know people that have never downloaded a game before, that didn't even know how to setup/use bittorrent, that downloaded Spore simply because of DRM.

I think DRM should now mean Digital Renting Media, since it is basically a rental.

8. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    That's what I decided to do, too.

Although, I was shocked :)eek:) by the numbers of already illegally downloaded copies so far.

I get the point of the "slap in the face" by illegally downloading it, but I think this could easily backfire in a very bad way...

9. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    I have a strong suspicion we could see a return of Starforce.

If that ever happens, I'll fully support the pirates.

and yeah, I'm regretting having purchased spore. Its a major snore fest. In fact it feels like a demo of something better.

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    That's theft of Copyright I believe!:stewpid:

11. SamW

SamW Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Hmm... how many times has the game's crack, by itself has been downloaded?

12. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 570
    From a quick look on one torrent site, around 50,000 just for that site. Then there is gamecopyworld, and who knows how many from there.

13. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    ah yes, EA and consoles: killing gaming forever and they seem to be loving it.

14. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Worst part of it all is that EA executives are no doubt sitting in their offices, seeing these numbers, and saying

"Holy crap, people love this game, it should be selling great if it weren't for those damn pirates"

They are no doubt completely missing the point.

That being said, the way to show them you don't like the copy protection is not to download it and not to buy it. That's boycotting. If you download the game and play it and don't buy it, it's just stealing. Stealing isn't boycotting.

15. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    I read this over at the Spore forums, spent a clear 20 minutes laughing.

16. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    I think it's good, it's like a cyber style "revolt of the plebs".

That's what happens when you piss people off for so long, they just won't take it anymore.

17. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti
    F*cking pirates!! The fact that Spore is the most rapidly pirated game is only making it worse for PC gamers. Some developers are trying to bring the PC back into the gaming world and these damn pirates download the most anticipated exclusive (not going to be exclusive for long now) pc game of 2008. You are only driving developers to make their games console-exclusive now. And what is even more absurd is that you think if you pirate a game a whole bunch of times it will stop the developers from putting protection software on it. Next time they will probably limit the install times to one only, and if that doesn't work they will probably take their games to consoles where they can keep some control over them.

If I was a developer and my game got pirated this many times I would screw PC gaming and take my games to consoles and wouldn't return until some solution for piracy was made.

By what has been happening with piracy of Spore, it is only making it worse for PC gamers. Thank you, Pirates for your stupidity, you've done a great job!:flip:

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Developers take no action though. They say they do by sticking things like DRM and such on the product, but they aren't. Now, I understand there is only so much they can do to take actions, but come on. Some games beg to be pirated, Unreal tournament 3 is one of them.

19. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    First, I will say it again: I do not support the use of DRM in Spore. I have read the article and understand it, thank you very much. In fact I was the first to post this article on this forum. (about 1/3 of the page from top)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=272826&page=6

Even so the word "boycott" in specific was not used in the article, however that is what people think they do. A boycott is a perfectly legal thing to do.

A boycott is, when someone refuse to buy a product for a specific reason. People who participate in this action are refusing to buy the game, and they have a reason not to do so. So far we are on a boycott level. The problem is that they steal it at the same time. Hench it is not a boycott anymore, it is an illegal action, more specific, it is a theft.

You can look at it this way. There is a shop with automated security check at the door that prevents people from brining products out of the shop without paying for it. That check is somewhat faulty and beeps for no reason from time to time. So angry people gather to a mob of wackos that raids the shop. They want to prove that the security check is no good at all. Sounds stupid ? Yes it is, really.

How do you think that shop manager will react ? I can tell you. He sure as hell will not reopen the shop without the security check. Ether he will close / relocate his shop to a different area. Or you get this fantastic scenario of armed guards and cameras that follow every movement you do in that shop. They will even strip you naked measure your dick size on the way in / out.

What people do with this protest so nicely put "to give corporate bastards a virtual punch in the face" might give them a backfire they never dreamed of. They are literally handing the PC gamers butt on a silver plate to EA with out knowing it.

The problem is that there are rules in this world. EA plays ugly, but within the limits of those rules. The people participating in this illegal download feast are not. Defending an illegal option with illegal actions is by far not a very smart thing to do.

How do you think this will look on paper when the army of EA lawyers show up at government offices. ? They will have irrefutable evidence of their product being a victim to something that looks like outrageous piracy.

They will demand changes in copyright rules, they will have proof to justify it, they will gain support, and who will be in that office to speak against them ?
    I will answer that, none.

So Merton, can you still say you understand what I am saying, or will you continue to defend illegal downloads?

How in the nine hells will stealing a game just because you can, make the DRM problem in today software easier to swallow for customers? I would very much like an answer to that.

For the second part.
    a.) download a game, like it, then buy it
    -- It is a theft, I do not understand how it not can be so, you stole the game to try it out ? It is still a theft. Period.

b.) people that download a game, didn't like it, and then never bought it. However, they also deleted the torrent from their computer and never played the game again.
    Even if you do not enjoy what you stole, it is still a theft.

As for the famous words: I really have nothing against "try before buy" as long as the person buys the game if they like it.

For some odd reason some people have settled with this as an OK thing to do.
    There is only one problem using the service like a torrent site to try out a game. Human nature. If you are going to do it that way, you will need strict control.

(an example that explains my point) :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws_DUoY0vXc&eurl=http://www.bragster.com/bet/3519-how-many-people-pick-up-steal-wallet-left-central-london
    A fine example of human nature....

And this is in full public. There are no reason that people will be more honest once they sit down behind their PC. I think even worse. Yet you defend piracy by saying there is only a few. Most of them just download to "try out" games.
    Yeah right, try again.

20. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FE
    A video on Tom's hardware said that EA's SecuROM rookit DRM copy protection was going to be on every game they produce from now on. So I wouldn't expect that EA execs would quit being pigheaded. Me thinks that EA will join the RIAA and MIAA in their tactics to track and sue P2P users instead of taking the VALVe route and going with a username and password game login thing.

I agree with some of the users here. If you don't like it, don't buy it and don't download the warez either.