DRM makes Spore most pirated game ever

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Spore was without doubt the most anticipated game of the year. The game itself has blown away the people who have played it but the DRM encouraged thousands to get their copy illegally. Already Spore...

More...

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    oh the irony...

I wonder what extra DRM systems EA will put on future games in light of this.

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Good times :)

4. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I was thinking just that.

I'm kind of curious to see if they even use the DRM system in the near future.
    Though in my mind, i keep telling myself "It's hard to believe they would keep using it after such a jaw dropping negative result"

But then i just remind myself, "It's EA."

5. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    Quoteted from article:

“You have the power to make this the most pirated game ever, to give corporate bastards a virtual punch in the face,” deathkitten writes in a comment on The Pirate Bay. He or she is spot on. Spore has been the most downloaded torrent on The Pirate Bay for over a week, which is unique for a game.

------

What in the nine hells are wrong with people ? Since when did boycott a product mean the same thing as stealing it ?

This is the same retarded logic as: Hey things are getting really hot in the Middle East, let us throw more bombs on them to cool things down....

I do not like what EA is doing. But I am fairly sure their DRM intentions are to stop the average Joe from sharing the game between them. Not to stop it from ending up at torrent sites, where it has been cracked by hardcore crack nuts.

And those of you pricks that try to justify stealing products like Spore make me rattling mad. I just played through my LEGAL copy, which worked just fine BTW. The game is fun and entertaining in its own way, albeit a bit simple and repetitive.

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I agree with almost everything you just said, but I'm actually glad so many people downloaded it as it might just prove that DRM doesn't work. I doubt EA would spend so much money on Securom if they were just worried about the average Joe, it's clearly aimed at piracy as a whole.

Hopefully at some point they might see sense so legit customers like us don't get screwed by it.

I might just add that certain versions of Securom throw up the 'you have emulation software' error for me, even though I don't. Also, I have dual boot so I sometimes use two installs straight away :(

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  7. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    To quote myself from here on the Guru3D forums and on Xtremesystem's.
    To see that Spore is the most pirated game is not surprising. I would also not to say that I bet a good chunk of them downloaded it without the intent to really even play the game. They want to send a message to EA, the more DRM you install the more piracy you will seed.

8. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    *uses Nelson's voice and points to EA:*

Haha!

9. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    You can not boycott a product by stealing it, period !

If I was a hardcore environmentalist, and I refused to drive cars because the fuel are bad for the environment. So if I then still choose to drive a car, I will steal the fuel for my car in protest. What type of signals are that sending to the rest of the world. You are a thief that refuse to pay for what you are consuming. Our world happens to work in a way that this will make you the bad guy. So you will be put on trial and loose, big time. It will only take you back to where you faulty logic started.

I do not agree with DRM, but if you want to protest, you simply refuse to buy the product. You do not steal it, as it only create a opinion that you still need it. The fact that some are never playing the game, do not change anything.

Only bad things will come out of protests like this, I can promise you that.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Best boycott would be to leave it at shop and not downloading it.

11. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    You obvious got to recall the days when you could just copy a game from the CD or floppy straight to someone else hard drive and play.

You can not possible be so naive to think publishers are so dumb that they believe their software will be protected by another software these days. They know very well that average Joe can not crack it, and that there are a few that always will.

By all means I do not defend the use the type of DRM we see on Spore, I just think downloading it illegal is the wrong approach.

12. Smellybumlove

Smellybumlove Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD4830x2 crossfire
    yes it would be best to just not buy it, but that wont get the message across.
    You can compare this to anything you like but the fact remains is that the people downloading it werent going to pay for it anyway.

I am not keen on piracy, i have bought everything i own as i like boxes and resale value, but when a publisher takes the piss like this i am all for pirating it.

Teach them a lesson!

13. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    Wrong !

Allot of people do not buy games, simply because there are an option to get them for free.

It is that simple, and THAT is a fact.

14. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    I'm not stealing it, I'm borrowing bits of codes from thousands of users that have themselves borrowed bits of code from other users.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Funny thing is, even if you don't even copy it, they count you just like you did. Especially if sales don't meet their expectations. They always blame piracy. It's their universal excuse that no one can ever verify.

16. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    let the good time roll.

I see Force unleashed up for download already. 15k of completed downloads. You know what that means? Lucasarts was talking out of their ass.

17. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    For crying out loud, I do not support the way they use DRM as much as I do not support people downloading Spore illegally in protest.

Stop acting like victims of a cruel beast. If there never ever had been any software piracy, and yet publishers would decide to bring out this type of DRM. You could take that approach.

Are you so naive that you think publishers would punish all customers with DRM simply because sales did not meet expectations.

For the past years an evil circle has spun out of control: illegal copies have been met with tighter and tighter DRM as even more illegal copies have been made as the Internet entered the broadband era.

And you intend to stop it by even more illegal down loads, what a wonderful idea, brilliant indeed. The publishers are sure gonna feel the heat in this round and back down....

You first have to acknowledge that piracy is a huge problem on PC software today. And severely bring down piracy from the rampant level it is at now. THEN you approach publishers with a legate claim that their DRM is hurting legal customers.

You can not expect them to fall back an inch in this battle unless you remove their excuse to wage war on consumers in the first place. Which of course, are piracy.

18. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    So, the horrific DRM stops not a single pirate, of over half a million, but turns around and bends over all the people who legalled bought the game.

I would love to hear EA's logic on this one.

19. Little

Little Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8
    speaking for myself this is yet just another game ive acquired just to say i have it. 99.95% chance ill never play yet though. thousands and thousands of people that actually purchased the game STILL use cracks/activation bypasses to get around this sort of retarded stuff.

20. Smellybumlove

Smellybumlove Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD4830x2 crossfire
    It certainly is not a FACT because i am one of those people that knows how and where to get them for free yet i still choose to buy them.
    I have never owned a chipped console or even downloaded a warez game, i had a crack once from a friend because the game refused to work.

No facts, just your opinion.