DRM forms damaging PC gaming ?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by klambre, Feb 22, 2010.

?

how many games you did not buy becouse contain DRMs ?

1. I did buy all games, no matter the DRM

27 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. One

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Two

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. Three

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Four

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Five

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. More than five

32 vote(s)
    41.0%
  1. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Aren't those Steam activations automatically revoked once you uninstall making the 5 activation limit the number of simultaneous installs?

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    nope! for some games you need to download the revoke tool.

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i dont care about DRM..

but am i wrong? the thing is .. if ur activations r finish..u can contact with them and get more hu?

4. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    yep. it took more than a week for me. sending steam emails, sending EA emails.... sigh...... :biggun::biggun::biggun::biggun::biggun::biggun::biggun::biggun:

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    hmm..for clearsky it took less tan 24 hours for me...but it is not DRM yeah? its TAGES...anyway..i dont really CHECK if a game has DRM or else..i just...buy it.like a ignorant lol..u know..ignorance is bliss..

6. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    drm hasnt stopped me yet. i don't buy that many games so i guess that i haven't had to deal with some of the more intrusive ones. i expect disc checks, key validations etc...companies have to at least attempt to stop some of the piracy that happens. although im convinced that all drm does is piss of the people who buy legit copies. those who wish to pirate will always find a way to do it no matter how intrusive or aggressive the drm is. just my thoughts.

7. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Thats right. And more people take to piracy to get rid of DRM. That ain't serving their purpose either. Something like validating online and thereafter not asking would be better...

8. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    drm never stopped me buying a game, but i have cracked drms that piss me off.

also ubisoft can go f&%k themselves and their new drm system, i won't purchase a single ubisoft game, I like to play games on my laptop and i don't always have an internet connection.

looks like we will need a emulated ubisoft server running from localhost for this new drm#

9. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    i dont know much about the new ubisoft drm, but requiring a constant connection seems like a really bad idea. i know that my connection drops intermittently for a second or so throughout the day and if i got kicked out of a single player game because of this i would be majorly pissed.

10. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    Long before computers were invented, through all the ages people were using analogue media. Like, cave paintings, bards who performed songs they heard somewhere else with their own voice, or even vinyls to capture music onto a medium which replayed the medium with it's own properties.
    But then suddenly, Charles Babbage appeared in 1791 and invented digital form of transporting media!! For the first time since the begin of time a possibility to transport original media 1:1 had appeared!
    And ever since then, humans have tried to prevent people from coping data 1:1 ... this is teh epic WIN for humans!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    and another solution to avoid all of these:

Buy a console, dont bother wit DRM, dont bother with connection issues etc etc..Plug & Play...seriously..LOL!!!

12. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    apart from vinyls 'properties' didn't change the principle sound of the source in fact it is better than CD and mp3 / wma

the point is people used to make things because they were passionate about that art and mostly it was good. Now people make things because they want to make money and now it is mostly Sh1te

13. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    I was wondering about people who claim that vinyls are better than CDs, too.
    Seems like they enjoy the unique sound of vinyl, which I could not reproduce. In fact, every record player sounds not exactly the same as another! So maybe people fell in love with the sound that their own record player produced out of a vinyl?

14. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    DRM sux

15. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    So does life, the universe and the rest. :D

16. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    vinyl has a more deep and intensive sound to it.

17. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    off topic:

audiophiles say that vinyl is the actual recording. That is, the microphone captures music and translates the sound to "bumps" on a record. then these bumps reproduce the sound to varying degrees depending on how good the stylus on the record player is. so, in affect, you are hearing an "exact" reproduction of the original sound in the studio. for mp3's and cd's, this sound is coded digitally, and in the process of digitizing the sound some of the fine details are lost in translation. this is how it was explained to me anyway.

on topic:

drm seems to be more and more of a necessary evil. as long as there are people who want to obtain things illegitimately whether it be music, games or even cars etc... there will be theft/piracy. its too bad that the people who end up suffering are those who pay for these things in the first place and the pirates get away and carry on as usual.

18. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    I use cracks with all my games so no it has never stopped me.

19. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    without going off topic, yea ^

if you put a microphone close to a vinyl record you could hear the sounds as they are actually happening, so the difference between digital and analogue is that one is accurately synthesized and one is relatively accurately played in real physical terms, how can you beat that? the sound is more visceral and the resonance and 'flow' is entirely free from digital constraints.

that doesn't mean vinyl sounds better than a 24bit digital recording but it does sound as natural as a real world sound.

preference for a perfectly clean digital recording with no variation is obvious to many but the pin sharp yet warm sound of vinyl isn't really available on most digital equipment

20. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Ah...EA describe it as a 5 machine maximum for their de-authorization tool.
    Good for them.