Drivers will not install

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mwelbes, Dec 8, 2003.

1. mwelbes

mwelbes Guest

Hey Thunda - I tried the reformat and reinstall and no avail!

Check out this link to see what I posted to rage:

Rage post link

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    My good friend, after looking at that .gif and reading this entire thread what you need to do is return that card immediately.

if you are dedicated to seek and solve the problem, a new BIOS update might do the trick. But at the current state of your graphics card I would not recommend it.

3. rsheppick

rsheppick Guest

mwelbes, please d what you have done before you get to windows when you normaly would hit f8 and go to safemode please select vga mode! :) tell me if this works Thanks!

4. rsheppick

rsheppick Guest

BTW the screen shot is of a monitor that cannot deal with a resolution normaly and very small part it could be would be the refresh rate but what happens. When you install the drivers when the computer boots up it tries to set a refreshrate/resolution thats when the screen should come back on without you doing anything. I see you have win2k and what i previously posted won't help you I don't think but see if there is an enable vga mode in advance startup for win2k , i doubt there is. All else fails live with it in safe mode lol

5. mwelbes

mwelbes Guest

So you guys are recommending a RMA to ATI?

That's the route I was thinking I needed to take next.... this is insane!

6. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    Well I agree with Hilbert... I think we have covered everything and you even reformated which makes me think less that its software related...

Did it look like that on the first boot into windows after the format ?
    Just out of curiosity did you check the video card fan to confirm its working ?

If you bought it at a local store then it might be within the store exchange policy ...thats if you just bought it.. try to go back there.. If not Id RMA it :(

Thunda

7. mwelbes

mwelbes Guest

I can reboot it 100 times and it looks like that every time :-(

Yep, the fan on the card is running. Also, my asus MB has a light next to the AGP slot to warn if the card is not seated correctly. It's not on, so I assume it's in the slot correctly.

I got it through newegg, so I might have to RMA it!

Thanks for your help guys. I will let you know how it turns out!

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Btw, there's a very easy way to check if the card is faulty or not .. try it at a friends or neighbours PC.

9. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    :bang: doh !! sometimes I forget the smallest things ..

10. Phoenikx

Phoenikx Master Guru

GPU:
    Myself
    Looking at the picture you provided, your graphic card is dead.
    (Not exactly dead, but your graphic card chipset has become defective, due to overheating. A fan - most likely - could cause it, despite that it looks like a fan is running "normally").
    Replace that card.