Drivers will not install

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mwelbes, Dec 8, 2003.

1. mwelbes

mwelbes Guest

Hello,
    I am trying to install my new AIW 9600 Pro and am running into a problem. I first downloaded the new Catalyst 3.9 drivers from ATI. I then placed the card in my AGP port and rebooted. Everything came up and I installed the drivers and rebooted. When the reboot process finished my computer booted to a black screen. I hit the reset button a few times and each time it booted to a black screen.

I then restarted the PC and chose safe mode to get into windows. Once in I looked at the device manager and found my new AIW listed. I checked it properties and it claims there are no drivers installed. What happened there?

I have tried doing this process 3 or 4 times. I also am using Driver Cleaner to totally uninstall everything before I retry the process. Each time though I come up with the same results. Any ideas as to what I can do?

2. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    Ok im not quite sure why its not working for you but this is exactly how I install my drivers and it works perfect everytime..

1- goto add\remove programs ..
    2- uninstall ATI control panel.. DONT REBOOT
    3- uninstall ATI drivers...REBOOT to SAFE MODE
    4- ( if it asks to install video drivers select CANCEL)run driver cleaner and cab cleaner ...REBOOT
    5- When it asks to install drivers on reboot select CANCEL
    6- install new driver package..
    7- appy refresh fix if needed..

That work awsome for me everytime.. try it and if you still have problems post back and we will try to help ya :)

Thunda

ps.. also If you had a different video card in before this one.. make sure everything was uninstalled ( control panel .. drivers..utilities) before you put the new one in..

3. mwelbes

mwelbes Guest

What might the refresh fix be?

4. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    actually I just noticed you have win2000... I dont think it effects you.. With winXP there is a proggy to fix the refresh rate and make it not default to 60mhz..

oh ya Welcome to guru also ;)

5. mwelbes

mwelbes Guest

Why thank you!

I will try everything else you said tonight. I am getting pretty frustrated with this $200 thing I cannot use!

6. Phoenikx

Phoenikx Master Guru

GPU:
    Myself
    mwelbes ...

For a refresh rate fix, go to that site and get a "tweak" for ATI-based graphic cards :
    - http://www.rage3d.com

Since Windows2000/XP/2003 are based on NT platform, you should not have any problems to set the refreshing rate above 60Hz, after applying that "tweak" :)

7. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    be patient and take your time.. the Guru's will help

btw ... I think your problem is you only have one meg of ram..

hehe j\k.. I think you mean one gig ;)

Thunda

8. mwelbes

mwelbes Guest

Whoa, I better fix that. Thanks for catching that!

I will give her a shot tonight and see what happens!

9. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    cool..post back how ya make out

10. mwelbes

mwelbes Guest

OK, so I went through the hoops last night!

Here are the steps I completed:
    1. Took out AIW card and put in older PCI card that works
    2. Downloaded Cat 3.10
    3. Booted up, went to add remove programs and removed all ATI programs
    4. Rebooted into safe mode.
    5. Ran Driver Cleaner. Removed all ATI and cleaned cab
    6. Shut down
    7. Removed old card, installed new card
    8. Turned on PC and came into Windows. Cancelled the hardware wizard.
    9. Ran 3.10 exe file and installed drivers
    10. rebooted

Now here is where the fun begins. After reboot it booted to a black screen. Then the monitor turned off like it wasn't getting a signal. I waited a minute or 2 to let it do it's thing. I then rebooted and again it booted to a black screen and the monitor shut off.

I then rebooted again, hit F8 at the windows startup and went in under safe mode. I checked my devices, I have 2 listed for the display driver, Radeon 9600 and Radeon 9600 Secondary. It listed under both of these that there were no drivers installed! What the heck?????

So under each I decided to manually install the drivers. I browsed for them under the folder the 3.10 .exe file had created. After I installed both I rebooted. I am happy to say it did not boot to a black screen and it came into Windows! Yeah!

Ok, my new problem is that in windows I am seeing a lot of horizontal lines. On these lines you can each pixel and they vary in length. These are all over the desktop and in pop up boxes , etc. I tried messing around with the settings under the control panel, but nothing. Lines everywhere!

11. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    dam... got one thing working now ya got another problem :(
    Was your old card a ATI ?

Can you take a screen shot of what these lines look like? Maybe that would help knowing exactly what the lines look like.

Also the part in device manager that shows 2 video cards is normal.

As a last resort ... A format would prolly fix it if its not hardware related but im not sure if your up for that.

Thunda

ps.. also a few things to check.. make sure in bios agp is set to 8x...agp voltage is set to 1.6v ...and leave fast writes off..

And in your ATI control panel.. look at the SmartGart tab.. and make sure that reads 8x and FW off..

12. mwelbes

mwelbes Guest

I will get a screen shot for you tonight!

The old card is a 3dfx Vodoo PCI card. About 6 years old. It's outta my old PC.

I will check the settings and make sure too.

I am thinking of reformatting soon here. I might just dump the 2000 and go for XP. Hopefully that could aleviate some problems!

13. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Honestly for me formatting isnt a hard thing at all.. I have a seperate partition with all my proggies , updates , and drivers.. one night ..some coffee..some smoke and its done..hehe I always format when I come across a problem thats giving me a headache ;)..

Thunda

ps.. wow ya went from a voodoo pci to a ATI 9600 ...when you get it installed without a problem your gona be drueling..lol

14. mwelbes

mwelbes Guest

After all this crap I almost want to go back to the Vodoo. It works everytime :) lol

Also, you can see how long it has been since I messed around with my PC. I wonder if I got in over my head? Well see what I can do!

15. mwelbes

mwelbes Guest

OK, so I looked at my control panel and I do not see a Smart Gart tab on it????

Also, how do I post a pic? I have a screen shot of what I am looking at!

16. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    well if your not seeing smart gart then I would bet thats your problem...im just not sure how to get it there ...it usually installs with the drivers and sets them correctly..

http://www.uploadit.org/ <~~you can upload the pic free and then add it in the post as a img..

I wouldnt even bother about it tho... your problem is smartgart is not installing..ill look around and see if I can find whats causing it.

Also when you installed the 3.10's did you DL the full package or the driver and CP seperatly?

Thunda

ps...Try this...
    Click start, run, type smartgart.... You should get a control panel up and running. When you do, hit reset all, and reboot.

See if that works...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  17. mwelbes

mwelbes Guest

I tried the run, type smartgart and I found nothing!

I also removed all the 3.10 drivers and tried to reinstalll the 3.9 drivers. It's the full package!

18. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3.9's and still no SmartGart ? im getting stumped..unless someone has anyother ideas I would format..if its not a big deal for you..or maybe try to post it at Rage3d you might get more responses about it there cuz that Cat maker dude hangs there.Personally I like Guru better tho :D

Thunda

19. mwelbes

mwelbes Guest

I'll give it a shot over there on rage. I might also start with the reformat and get it over with. Hopefully that will work.....

You have helped a ton, so the guru does rule!

I will let you know.

20. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ok..np

Wish I could of helped and fixed it.. But if you post over there be sure to mention that the drivers are installed but there is NO SmartGart... I read a few posts about the same problem and most say to just try and reinstall the drivers..but you tried that. SmartGart is definitaly your problem tho.. It sets the drivers corrrectly depending on how your system is configured.

Thunda