drivers ruined older games on radeon 460

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by wayne toms, Dec 26, 2019.

1. wayne toms

wayne toms New Member

GPU:
    RADEON 460 4GB
    We have a radeon 460 and play ghost recon from 2001 and the island thunder and desert seige add ons every week via lan and love it. We were using driver version 19.5.2 from may 2019 and all is great on windows 10.

We switched to version latest 19.7.2 and its all broken. It wont even start up and just gives a dll library box error 10 times. Anyone from AMD tell me what is going on here and if it will be fixed?

I have now bought him a radeon 570 and i refuse to put it into the tower, if it means we cant play older games. I have a geforce 970 gtx and ghost recon works with every driver so it must be the readeons fault here.

Anyone help me please because im getting so fed up now. The driver release has bacically destroyed the older ghost recons.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Apparently someone has forgotten the old trick where you install the current driver, and if a game breaks, you figure out which method the engine uses (DX9, 11, etc) and you grab the associated .dll for that method, and stick it into the game's dir where the .exe is from an older driver branch that works.

4. wayne toms

wayne toms New Member

GPU:
    RADEON 460 4GB
    Apparently someone has forgotten to make appropriate drivers for a video card, therefore alleviating the need to resort to work around. Sending amd card back for nvidia, had enough already.

5. wayne toms

wayne toms New Member

GPU:
    RADEON 460 4GB
  6. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    https://wccftech.com/exnvidia-driver-developer-game-ships-broken/

A lot of older games won't see any updates and will break over time because of newer hardware.

Also use DDU or the AMD Cleanup utility to clean up your system

7. I play 2001 ghost recon on an rx590 running 19.11.1. So i would ddu the current driver and try that one. very likely that this problem can be resolved through simple software means. Monkey with different drivers, make sure direct x and Visual C++ stuff is up to date, and maybe reinstall game if none of that works. As a side note, you can flash that 460 to a 560 and gain a decent amount of performance.