1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drivers restricting my 970M gpu from overclocking core

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cidious, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Cidious

Cidious Active Member

GPU:
    2x Radeon 5870 CF
    I am trying to overclock my 970m (yes it's properly cooled and repasted etc). I used to run the core at 135MHz + with no trouble. Lately I found my memory slider wasn't holding clocks so I asked SVET (MSI forums) to unlock my VBIOS and he gave it a mild gpu core overclock. But the overclock won't boost. The core clock stays the same stock 1038 limited by drivers..

The only way this works is when I install new drivers and don't reboot. after the reboot it will be hard capped again.

does anyone have any clue?

2. Cidious

Cidious Active Member

GPU:
    2x Radeon 5870 CF
    [​IMG]

capped at 1038 instead of boost clock or even default clock. How to bypass these stupid restrictions?

I'm on latest drivers 431.68 tried several drivers. not much luck. Sometimes it allows me to overclock mostly it doesnt...

3. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    That's a safety measure in case your GPU becomes unstable.

Run the program as administrator, the modified settings would be applied

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Cidious

Cidious Active Member

GPU:
    2x Radeon 5870 CF
    Thanks for you quick response. but sorry mate that's not the issue.

I tried afterburner and in the way you said. No luck. Tried PrecisionX. Tried nVidia Inspector... no luck the clocks stay capped at 1038 unless i do a driver update without rebooting. after the reboot it's capped again.

5. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Uninstall it , reinstall your nvidia drivers, reinstall afterburner. (DDU)

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Its probably bios/power limited.

7. Cidious

Cidious Active Member

GPU:
    2x Radeon 5870 CF
    I already did many clean installs and after clean install initially it works until reboot. Also the vbios is unlocked and not power limited.

8. Cidious

Cidious Active Member

GPU:
    2x Radeon 5870 CF
    I did another clean install and leave the slight OC as SVET programmed it and just put the computer to sleep for now. See what happens when I have to reboot next time. It's working after a fresh driver install. Mostly straight after that I start overclocking with a freeze as a result when I'm pushing it. So that might be a restriction of the drivers after the freeze. Who knows. Let's do it different this time and leave the slight vbios overclock as is. (1038->1064) and see what happens over time.

9. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    It's SVET modded, as explained?

10. Cidious

Cidious Active Member

GPU:
    2x Radeon 5870 CF
    Yes vbios modded by SVET. Read my opening post.

normally them memory clocks are also locked but he unlocks them. and some other stuff. Also some more monitoring info.

Anyway. I did the fresh install and only briefly it will work then after I put the machine to sleep and log back in again it's capped again at 1038 instead of 1064. It's definitely a driver cap but no idea how to fix it.

11. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    A computer system needs to restart/shutdown from time to time to clear the cache and RAM. Don't use too much sleep.