Drivers for a powered by ati card

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by sacksr, Oct 27, 2003.

1. sacksr

sacksr New Member

GPU:
    Radeon VE 64 Mb
    Hi folks.

Pardon my ignorance, but I've just discovered your forum & I'm hoping someone can help.

I've got a powered by ati radeon VE (64Mb).

Will the latest Catalyst drivers work ok with it (I'm still using the original drivers that came with the card)?

If I can, what sort of performance hike might this give me?

2. Junk

Junk Guest

no ignorance! don't worry..

you can use the latest catalyst drivers (i'm interested to find out what drivers you're actually running).

as far as performance gain, it's hard to say. just benchmark your current drivers, then install the new set and benchmark those. if you don't like 'em, then you can always reinstall the old ones..

3. sacksr

sacksr New Member

GPU:
    Radeon VE 64 Mb
    Re: Re: Drivers for a powered by ati card

(Hold tight) My drivers are 4.13.7109

4. Junk

Junk Guest

Re: Re: Re: Drivers for a powered by ati card

boy..that's not even a 'catalyst' driver, is it?

5. sacksr

sacksr New Member

GPU:
    Radeon VE 64 Mb
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Drivers for a powered by ati card

yeah..slightly ancient isn't it.

I asked because I tried a demo of Freelancer recently and all that happens when I start it is the screen blanks - keys don't do anything and all I can do is reboot. I know Freelancer needs Direct X 9 (which I've installed so I wondered if it was anything to do with the card and/or the drivers.

I tried installing 3.7 last night (having downloaded the b****rd thing on my dial up connection) and they didn't work.

I uninstalled the existing drivers, ran the .exe which said that after a reboot it would test the drivers, but it didn't do this after a reboot, so I've ended up with my original drivers again.

6. Junk

Junk Guest

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Drivers for a powered by ati card

i wondered b/c i looked through the .inf file for my 3.8's and say that the radeon ve wasn't supported.

sucks that you're on dialup..

7. Cockbender

Cockbender Master Guru

GPU:
    dunno
    one of my cards is "powered by ATI" (sapphire card). anyway, the CAT drivers that work best for my 9500Pro are the 3.5's and the 3.8's. they're so close in performance, although the control panel is a little different. the 3.6's and 3.7's just didn't run well on mine, and it was noticeable in gameplay.

a few weeks ago i installed after already having dx9 and CAT3.8 installed, and the demo wouldn't run at all. i reverted back to CAT3.5 and had the same results. so i uninstalled the demo and bought the actual game. the game runs just fine. the demo, in my experience, is unreliable. . . . . it's just a demo.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006