Driver that work with NWN2?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by perparker, Jun 14, 2010.

1. perparker

perparker Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 570
    Hi.
    On my spare pc (that i use now) i play never winter nights2 (and some other games, mostly older things like kotor1/2, lotro, civ4,spellforce2, starwolves3 & dragon age).
    Its a older pc with win7 64b 8800gts e6600 (not the one in sig)

NWN2 have proplems with drivers after 196.21. Textures missing (nwn2 forum says all other nvidia users have same problem)

Anyone had any luck on getting it to run on some newer drivers?
    I have tried 197.45 & 257.15 without luck and had to revert to 196.21.

But now some new drivers are out and tought i asked before trying 257.29, 197.77 & 198.05 (and also read about some windows update drivers, not sure about rev)

If anyone have any luck it would be great to know
    (to those playing nwn2, the texture problem starts after you get to the inn where you meet the dwarf. Latest patches and all expansions)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. racofer

racofer Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950 2GB Twin Frozr III
  3. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Still bugged out with latest WHQL...

4. SuperBill

SuperBill Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    Still bugged with the 257.29 beta set as well :(

5. racofer

racofer Master Guru

GPU:
    Yes, nVidia said so on that page I linked above that this set would not include the fix since it was diagnosed and confirmed only after this set was already submitted for WHQL certification. The next official driver, however, should include the fix. The nVidia rep even said this bug has a priority 0 on their "to fix" lits, which is the highest possible.

6. juampii

juampii Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX480 @ 850 / 2000
    works fine with 186.18.

7. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Ya but Fermis are stuck with newer drivers and they all got the textures bug.

8. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    I just found out about this one last night. Thats one more rpg that I can't plat thanks to nvidia drivers.

Well this and Gothic hasn't been fixed. I'm not going back to 196.21 where AA doesn't even work. Honestly Nvidia's drivers were a mess for a while there I don't feel like rolling back. Ati is starting to look pretty tempting.

9. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Yea and while you find ATI tempting, I got lots of games with perfect SLI scalings due to nice drivers from Nvidia.

10. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    I don't care, I'm sticking with a single gpu but yes sli is better than cf I agree there.

Nvidia's drivers which is what has kept me with them hasn't been to impressive for a while now. At least they are better than they were a couple of months ago. 185xx-196.xx was a nightmare.

11. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Honestly, very honestly, I never ever got any drivers that was worst than the previous ones. NEVER. I only got improvements so far on 3 generations of Nvidia cards.

Sometimes I wonder where some people get their "awful" drivers.

12. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    Try out 196.21 (the driver that I would need to roll back to) and tell me that AA even works. Look at the two drivers recently with fan profile issues. I couldn't play FO3 for months. I haven't been able to play Gothic since I installed Windows 7.

Sometimes I wonder how some people get every "amazing driver" that magically scales on every game. Yes, every game runs noticeably better on the latest driver than on the last one. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  13. racofer

racofer Master Guru

GPU:
    If you would've taken the time to read the thread I linked to at nVidia's forums or, even easier, read my second post on this very thread, you would've seem that this fix is due to the next driver release, not 257.21's.

And regarding Ati, I've come from there a few months ago and it's not a garden of roses there either. Specially for older games (mainly opengl ones) that have had their support completely ignored. This was the reason I opted for nVidia this time around, because even the oldest of software still works fine with their drivers. There are a few exceptions and when they do break something up, it usually takes at most 6 months for them to fix it. Back in december 2007 (ati driver version 7.12), ATI introduced a bug that affected both KotOR games where frame buffer effects were completely broken (you got artifacts all over the screen). This affected every card, and only in april 2009 Ati issued a fix, which didn't cover it for their x1xxx series of cards and older since on that very same driver Ati stopped upgrading drivers for those cards. And this was a known bug, that both Obsidian and Bioware reported as a driver issue, everyone and their dog knew it was a driver issue, yet it took Ati a year and a half to fix. Regarding newer games, both nVidia and ATI are kind of on the same league with little issues, however from what I could see nVidia fix them a little faster and often it's a definitive fix.

My cousin made the mistake of purchasing a x5xxx series card last year and he still needs to manually clock his card to avoid the dreaded crashes that happen when the card reverts to 2d clock speeds. Still now, almost a year after his purchase and using latest drivers, this very serious issue is still present on several cards and the only known 100% fix is to manually edit the card's BIOS to increase the voltage levels at 2d.

Regarding NWN2 specifically, although I agree this time around nVidia acknowledge a driver bug I wouldn't blindly point my finger at them. NWN2's engine is known to be shoddy and as stable as an upside-down pyramid. It's a heavily modified Aurora engine (the same used in NWN and then, yet again modified, for KotOR1/2). This engine is known to be prone to glitches (remember The Witcher when it was released?), so I would take anything coming from games that use these engines with a grain of salt whenever they start pointing fingers at graphic drivers.

The point is, both companies have their issues so jumping from one another because of a bug is not a smart move. You need to take into consideration the whole thing and in my case, nVidia seemed like the "less worse" option. I also had issues with the 196.xx and 197.xx drivers (mainly those dreaded "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered" bug, but only with a few games) but now with 257.21 it seems to be pretty stable again.

14. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    If the 196.21's work, then what's the problem? Why do you need newer drivers to run old games on an old PC?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The 196s go back to before Fermi was released.

And Wanny, we get it, you have SLI, in the last few days I've seen nothing in your posts but the words "perfect SLI scaling"

16. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Thanks to awesome Nvidia drivers ;)

You think I care about you?

17. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    What's your point? How does that have any relevance to the OP?

18. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    To the OP, none, apparently he has a 285. I'm just saying that rolling back that far isn't a workable solution for a lot of people.

19. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    NWN2 works with Nvidia's latest WHQL just so you guys know.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010